Sign in to follow this  
datkins587

Residency Requirements to Convert US Drivers License

datkins587

I stopped by LTO in Talisay today to get my license converted. They told me to go upstairs to get drug and medical test which I did, cost me 400P. Then I went back down to LTO and the guy at the front desk looked at my paper work and passport. He then tells me I cant get convert my foreign license for 2 more months saying you have to have lived in PI at least 5 months before applying, I got here July 21,2012 but I have a current ACR card. I’m thinking he is looking for a bribe but I didn’t oblige him. Is he correct or just looking for a little extra handout to proceed to the next level? I looked at the LTO web site and see no such requirement written there. But maybe I’m missing something.

I wonder how long this drug test and medical certificate is good for. Not sure why they had me do that if I wasn’t eligible to get the dang license anyway.

johnboy999

Well, I got my UK license converted in February this year in Carcar LTO and I had been here for 4 weeks at the time. I call BS on the 5 months as you are only allowed to drive for a maximum of 90 days on a foreign license

Edited by johnboy999
  • Like 1

Paul

Isn't that interesting? You can only drive, legally in the Philippines, for 90 days on a foreign license. So, another vote for bullshit.

The only other thing you should have been required to do, was to take the (quite easy) written test.

Then, you should have gotten your photo taken, and waited a bit. You should have received your license in one day.

Back in my day (I have always wanted to say that), we had to wait 3 months to get a license in the Philippines. That was from the time of initially applying for it - not due to having to meet any requirements.

Edited by Paul

A_Simple_Man

When they don't know they make shit up to avoid actually having to look it up. Or you may be right that he was looking for grease.

SkyMan
Back in my day (I have always wanted to say that), we had to wait 3 months to get a license in the Philippines. That was from the time of initially applying for it - not due to having to meet any requirements.
Actually, that was to get a paper license where the picture looked more like a thumb print. It was another 3 months to get an actual plastic license.

Yes, the guy wants a payoff. Go back and tell him to show you where it says you have to wait 5 months and ask for a supervisor if he balks. I would suggest going to a different LTO but you medical/drug test is only valid at that one.

Edited by SkyMan

broden
Actually, that was to get a paper license where the picture looked more like a thumb print.

makes me think of a dick tracy bad guy

datkins587

Actually, that was to get a paper license where the picture looked more like a thumb print. It was another 3 months to get an actual plastic license.

Yes, the guy wants a payoff. Go back and tell him to show you where it says you have to wait 5 months and ask for a supervisor if he balks. I would suggest going to a different LTO but you medical/drug test is only valid at that one.

datkins587

Yep it's BS I'm atandeau now and no such BS waiting for my picture nie

datkins587

I'm at Mandeau LTO now and they never mentioned it. Waiting for my picture now. They did say I could only get one endorsement and I would need to return to add the auto. I drive a mc so maybe for now not bother. But even that sounds like BS.

SkyMan
They did say I could only get one endorsement and I would need to return to add the auto. I drive a mc so maybe for now not bother. But even that sounds like BS.
I would say yes to that too. Did you have to do the drug and medical again?

datkins587

Who knows this place is a mad house no one to ask. But probably it's the Philippines everything here is difficult it seems.

datkins587

Humm crazy

Edited by datkins587

Headshot

I'm at Mandeau LTO now and they never mentioned it. Waiting for my picture now. They did say I could only get one endorsement and I would need to return to add the auto. I drive a mc so maybe for now not bother. But even that sounds like BS.

I don't know why they do crap like this. I guess in a lot of cases it gets them extra beer money. They are supposed to put every endorsement you have on your home-country DL on your Philippine DL. If you have to go back to get another license with the proper endorsements, it will cost you extra. BTW...it's Mandaue.

Edited by Headshot

datkins587

OK after being screwed over at both LTO's I now have a MC license. They said if I wanted an automobile drivers license I need to wait one week and then come back and re apply and also take a wriiten test to get that endorsement. My USA license is for cars and motorcyles by the way. Complete BS from start to finish.

Paul

That's right. I remember now. They gave us the paper copy, and later we would get the plastic license.