The Short Cut

Bob Ward
"PM me please about the importance of getting them into an alley"

No witnesses

That's what I thought! But Kristine has been raised in a very sheltered manner and she was unsure! THX

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bob Ward

• tom_shor

• broden

• Don.

Top Posters In This Topic

I was only referring my story of our amok driver, really didn't have any comment on Bobs experience. I agree with Bob and admire his knowing when he is being taken advantage of.

Me? I'm lost most of the time out there so would probably just have to sit there, grin and bear it!

Bob Ward
I was only referring my story of our amok driver, really didn't have any comment on Bobs experience. I agree with Bob and admire his knowing when he is being taken advantage of.

Me? I'm lost most of the time out there so would probably just have to sit there, grin and bear it!

Yes the reference to taking a sidewalk tour reminded me of many a day. The moving into oncoming traffic is a bit worrisome at times as well. This whole thing just upset me because Kristine does not deserve the crap she was dished that day. Hoz, you are cool in my book!

CaptainJackson

Although what Bob and Kristine did, in my opinion, was the right thing to do, there actions really are for the people living in the Philippines.

I feel that if you are a member of this forum, and going to PI for the first time, you probably have "vacation" money and shouldn't get into a dispute with a taxi driver.

I know this advice probably won't sit well with most members here, because the members living in country don't want the visiting foreniers to over tip, or over pay (as in getting ripped off), because it may tend to send the message the foreniers are an easy "mark", or target.

Now, before anyone takes offense, put yourself in the position of being a first time visitor.

What I think is good advice for visitors is having a local meet you at the airport, so they can do the talking to the taxi drivers for you. That, or read the thread about Danny, the taxi driver, and set it up in advance for him to meet you.

I just would not want any visitor to get all worked up over being charged the "long nose" price for a taxi ride, get into a squable, and end up at the police station. That would probably make them change their mind about the Philippines and they would miss a truely beautiful place to live.

Although what Bob and Kristine did, in my opinion, was the right thing to do, there actions really are for the people living in the Philippines.

I feel that if you are a member of this forum, and going to PI for the first time, you probably have "vacation" money and shouldn't get into a dispute with a taxi driver.

I know this advice probably won't sit well with most members here, because the members living in country don't want the visiting foreniers to over tip, or over pay (as in getting ripped off), because it may tend to send the message the foreniers are an easy "mark", or target.

Now, before anyone takes offense, put yourself in the position of being a first time visitor.

What I think is good advice for visitors is having a local meet you at the airport, so they can do the talking to the taxi drivers for you. That, or read the thread about Danny, the taxi driver, and set it up in advance for him to meet you.

I just would not want any visitor to get all worked up over being charged the "long nose" price for a taxi ride, get into a squable, and end up at the police station. That would probably make them change their mind about the Philippines and they would miss a truely beautiful place to live.

Very well said. I totally agree.

Bob Ward

Very good observation Capn, plus the average first timer here would have never known the difference and P40 will not break the bank. As I said before, it was more about the disrespect he showed Kristine when she called him on the deception.

Very good observation Capn, plus the average first timer here would have never known the difference and P40 will not break the bank. As I said before, it was more about the disrespect he showed Kristine when she called him on the deception.

i have already programmed my brain .....if somone wants to take my cash by force.... or if an argument ensues and its escalating...im just gonna give in to it.

just make sure you dont walk around with too much money. ....there are some guys here in cebu who seem to come from one particular country ...everytime there is conflict they want to take it to the the death.

but the trouble is when the dust has settled and the police come....it will be all the foreigners fault.

so its not worth it.....

Bob Ward

i have already programmed my brain .....if somone wants to take my cash by force.... or if an argument ensues and its escalating...im just gonna give in to it.

just make sure you dont walk around with too much money. ....there are some guys here in cebu who seem to come from one particular country ...everytime there is conflict they want to take it to the the death.

but the trouble is when the dust has settled and the police come....it will be all the foreigners fault.

so its not worth it.....

Thanks for sharing that wisdom!

• Admin (Retired)
broden
I am happy all you guys are feeling like young rambo.. but lets not forget in this place WE call home you can get knifed for singing out of tune.. I once in 2004 saw a Foreigner screaming at a boy who looked to me like he was carrying a 50 kilo bag of rice or something for the (Korean) foreigner well as i waited in the hope of taking this Korean looking guys parking space the kid drops the bag to the ground and i guess it was rice spills out of one corner.. i am thinking oh dam this is going to take forever.. the Korean looking guy starts screaming at the kid who was doing the carrying and slaps him a good one right on the face.. the kid falls back and trips over some crooked cement and as fast as you can blink an eye .. this kid comes up and takes what i thought was an air swipe at the guy.. the korean screams real loud and holds his leg and the kid he is dust ... next i look at the korean guy and he is his pants are turning bright red .. Knowing i was not going to get this parking space i just drove off.. I said to the wife should we go back and tell the police what we saw???? she says.. i dont want trouble that boy is a neighbor of mine and his family is very agressive that foreigner is lucky the kid did not stab him for being so rude... end of story.. ONLY in the PHilippines

robert51 is right that getting shanked is no fun time .. back in my younger days i got cut more then a few times .. had the top third of my two middle fingers on my left hand 90% cut off in one fight lucky for me they were reattached and lucky for me i won or i wouldn't be here to type this .. always choose which windmills you're going to tilt at with care .. just simpley put make sure it matters cause chances are you matter to someone else far more then you matter to yourself .. fate is a funny thing sometimes .. kept those fingers intact then just a few years ago lost two thirds of my right pinky to a refrigerator .. so i guess it was just meant to be

Jim Sibbick

Hello Bob

This has been posted in the Philippines Travel: Safe or Not? not section.

So, is it your opinion that this event means it is or isn't safe to be in the Philippines?

I should think it means it is safe!

I have had a few drivers try and take me where I didn't want to go but in general they have been very nice about it.

One time I had a driver try and tell me I didn't know the way to my hotel. He pulled up at the wrong hotel and announced triumphantly that we were at my hotel. I told him we weren't and directed him to my hotel. When we arrived, he was profusely sorry and would not let me pay the full fare.

He obviously was not one of my regulars. I often used to get into taxis and the driver would tell me where I was going!

Another time, a driver who I did not recognise was taking me to the CebuTours office. I got in and said I was going to my office and before I could say what or where he said "I know". He then proceeded to drive there on a different route to what I would take. Every time I tried to tell him where to go, he would interupt and say "I know". Eventually we were within sight of the CebuTours office. He pointed at it and said "Your office"....... So he did know!

By the way, the meter was about the same as normal.

Regards: Jim

Jim, I have had the same experience as you many times.

My travel habits around Cebu City are fairly regular, and I typically

look for a Spyder or Scorpion taxi.

There have been many times that I have gotten into a taxi, and the

driver just starts driving without my saying anything.

The driver already knows where I live and justs takes me there.

I do not drink, but if I did , I could probably stumble into a Spyder

taxi, pass out, and then be awakened when I arrived at my home.

I have also experienced the honest drivers that insist I pay a lower fare

if the driver makes a mistake, or if the driver stops for gas he will pause

the meter while we wait for gas.

Bob Ward
Hello Bob

This has been posted in the Philippines Travel: Safe or Not? not section.

So, is it your opinion that this event means it is or isn't safe to be in the Philippines?

I should think it means it is safe!

I have had a few drivers try and take me where I didn't want to go but in general they have been very nice about it.

One time I had a driver try and tell me I didn't know the way to my hotel. He pulled up at the wrong hotel and announced triumphantly that we were at my hotel. I told him we weren't and directed him to my hotel. When we arrived, he was profusely sorry and would not let me pay the full fare.

He obviously was not one of my regulars. I often used to get into taxis and the driver would tell me where I was going!

Another time, a driver who I did not recognise was taking me to the CebuTours office. I got in and said I was going to my office and before I could say what or where he said "I know". He then proceeded to drive there on a different route to what I would take. Every time I tried to tell him where to go, he would interupt and say "I know". Eventually we were within sight of the CebuTours office. He pointed at it and said "Your office"....... So he did know!

By the way, the meter was about the same as normal.

Regards: Jim

Well being that the forum title is referring to "safe of not" I will leave that up to the disgression of the reader since it poses a question to some degree.

In a years time, I've ridden in my fair share of taxis. I will say it again for those who seem to be missing the point. He was rude and insulting to Kristine and I would not stand for it! It wasn't about a few pesos or the scenic route!

I find that 98% of taxi travel here is without trouble or incident.

Edited by Bob Ward
tom_shor
I am happy all you guys are feeling like young rambo.. but lets not forget in this place WE call home you can get knifed for singing out of tune.. I once in 2004 saw a Foreigner screaming at a boy who looked to me like he was carrying a 50 kilo bag of rice or something for the (Korean) foreigner well as i waited in the hope of taking this Korean looking guys parking space the kid drops the bag to the ground and i guess it was rice spills out of one corner.. i am thinking oh dam this is going to take forever.. the Korean looking guy starts screaming at the kid who was doing the carrying and slaps him a good one right on the face.. the kid falls back and trips over some crooked cement and as fast as you can blink an eye .. this kid comes up and takes what i thought was an air swipe at the guy.. the korean screams real loud and holds his leg and the kid he is dust ... next i look at the korean guy and he is his pants are turning bright red .. Knowing i was not going to get this parking space i just drove off.. I said to the wife should we go back and tell the police what we saw???? she says.. i dont want trouble that boy is a neighbor of mine and his family is very agressive that foreigner is lucky the kid did not stab him for being so rude... end of story.. ONLY in the PHilippines

robert51 is right that getting shanked is no fun time .. back in my younger days i got cut more then a few times .. had the top third of my two middle fingers on my left hand 90% cut off in one fight lucky for me they were reattached and lucky for me i won or i wouldn't be here to type this .. always choose which windmills you're going to tilt at with care .. just simpley put make sure it matters cause chances are you matter to someone else far more then you matter to yourself .. fate is a funny thing sometimes .. kept those fingers intact then just a few years ago lost two thirds of my right pinky to a refrigerator .. so i guess it was just meant to be

I didn't know refrigerators carried knives. :rolleyes:

Good advice for sure. Pick your battles you can't win them all and you certainly can't fight them all.

• Admin (Retired)
broden
I didn't know refrigerators carried knives. :rolleyes:

Good advice for sure. Pick your battles you can't win them all and you certainly can't fight them all.

:rolleyes: refrigerators don't carry knives .. idiots carry refrigerators

a neighbor i had at the time for some strange reason thought he could unload a full size fridge/freezer .. ice maker water .. the works .. from the back of a pickup truck all by his lonesome :rolleyes: .. lucky for him i had just stepped outside and saw him .. i ran over just as he get the last bit off the truck and was in the process of being crushed between the fridge the sidewalk and the wall .. i grabbed it on one side through some shrink wrap and packing foam and underneath and basically rode it too the ground away from him .. couldn't let go or he would be a smear .. but the underside had some sharp part ..that gutted my pinky

on the bright side i can now bury my pinky stub in my ear or up my nose and get some very suprising looks

• 1 month later...

I am going to defend some of the taxi drivers. I have found them to be by and large a nice group of guys. I've only had one bad experience and that was when I didn't know where I was going.

I've been in taxis with meters that just aren't working right and I can tell it. They usually know and if they don't know, they acknowledge it. And you pay a fair rate. I am certain that it's not a quick process to get a meter fixed. Fixing the meter means they're off of the streets and not earning money.

Now, do they tell everyone who gets in their taxi that it's broken? No, but those who know the aproximate fare pay the approximate fare. It's not perfect, but I understand where they are coming from.

Filipinos get overcharged almost as often as us white faces.