Sign in to follow this  
Tinbum

Spoken Tagalog course

Tinbum

Anyone know of a Cebu based organisation that does a "PHYSICAL" (meaning personal, not online, not self teach etc) course in Tagalog?

Plenty in Manilla but i live here in Cebu. Cebuano is not for me as we are re-locating to Negros later so the learnt Cebuano would need to be replaced by Ilongo! Going for Tagalog covers all areas in my opinion.

Please dont forget that im not interested in online etc!!

Thanks in advance.

SkyMan

Why don't you learn Ilongo then?

Headshot

Anyone know of a Cebu based organisation that does a "PHYSICAL" (meaning personal, not online, not self teach etc) course in Tagalog?

Plenty in Manilla but i live here in Cebu. Cebuano is not for me as we are re-locating to Negros later so the learnt Cebuano would need to be replaced by Ilongo! Going for Tagalog covers all areas in my opinion.

Please dont forget that im not interested in online etc!!

Thanks in advance.

Why not just get a Tagalog tutor? It usually takes university graduates with an elementary education major a few years after graduation to get a full-time teaching assignment, and during that time most will accept any type of "teaching" position. My wife worked as an English teacher for Korean families right after she graduated. I'm sure there are plenty of university graduates (elementary education majors) out there who would just love to give you private Tagalog lessons until they get a full-time teaching assignment. The reason I would say you should lean toward elementary education major rather than secondary education majors is that you need to start with the basics, which is what elementary education majors are trained to teach. Just post an ad at www dot cebuclassifieds dot com looking for a Tagalog tutor (list your qualifications and requirements) and you will probably get plenty of applications from people who want to teach you.

• Like 1

rfm010

check the local universities and other schools, maybe someone in a language department would being willing to teach.

edit: didn't see headshot's response. he said it better.

Edited by rfm010

Tinbum

Thanks to all for the replies.

To Skyman, same as not learning "just" Cebuano, in my opinion too restrictive for my needs (ie business interests) By learning the National language, more widespread general coverage. Plus, having discussed this point with several native speakers who speak Waray, Ilongo, Cebuano, Tagalog and other dialects, all suggested to stick to the National language, due to the coverage issue.

To Headshot and rfm010, great point, i had considered this but was first investigating if there was a commercial organisation offering structured courses here in Cebu. My initial investigation had proved this to be not so, hence my inquiry to the much wider and wiser populace of the forum!! Seems that it is not possible to find a commercial course, so the personal tutor route seems the way.

Thanks again for your replies.

Edited by Tinbum

Headshot

To Skyman, same as not learning "just" Cebuano, in my opinion too restrictive for my needs (ie business interests) By learning the National language, more widespread general coverage. Plus, having discussed this point with several native speakers who speak Waray, Ilongo, Cebuano, Tagalog and other dialects, all suggested to stick to the National language, due to the coverage issue.

To Headshot and rfm010, great point, i had considered this but was first investigating if there was a commercial organisation offering structured courses here in Cebu. My initial investigation had proved this to be not so, hence my inquiry to the much wider and wiser populace of the forum!! Seems that it is not possible to find a commercial course, so the personal tutor route seems the way.

Yeah, I seriously doubt that you will find any "schools" that teach Tagalog here. All of the language schools here are teaching English.

If you decide you do want to learn Cebuano (which is spoken as a primary language by more Filipinos than Tagalog) as well, I would suggest Bud Brown's online course. Bud is a member of LinC Forums, and is a professional linguist. If that course doesn't go far enough for you, then you could tutors for that as well at some point. As a sidenote, there is a Rosetta Stone course available for Tagalog.

Edited by Headshot

SkyMan

Actually, judging by your reply, you already know the national language.

shansi

OP:

Which part of Negros will you be moving into? People in Negros Occidental will speak hiligaynon (mistakenly known as ilonggo) while Negros Oriental folks speak Cebuano (majority, a very very small amount of people near the border of the two, speak Hiligaynon).

Negros Occidental folks can usually understand Filipino/Tagalog because mainstream media is only offered in Tagalog. However, everyday language remains to be Hiligaynon and if you are moving to this part of Negros, I suggest you learn Hiligaynon so that you won't have problems with the locals. Unfortunately, there are almost no resources when it comes to learning Hiligaynon. It's a fun language to learn though :-)

I've never been to Oriental before so I can't comment on how things work there.

Filipino/Tagalog will be more or less universal yes but not everybody can understand Tagalog very well in Negros. And some people, especially in remote areas (I grew up in one), people treat Tagalog like English - something of a rarity and only used in the academia. Negros isn't as progressive as Cebu and I rarely saw any foreigners outside of the main city (Bacolod) while I was growing up.

I spent 7 years of my childhood in Negros Occ. and can still speak hiligaynon fluently. If you want any help, you can just message me and I'd be more than happy to teach you the provincial dialect. Same goes for Tagalog however, I could only do it via email since I'm situated right now in Luzon.

P.S.: I wonder who I can contact in the forums here if I wanted to create some sort of Tagalog/Ilonggo guide in the forums seeing that you got a Cebuano guide here already. I just thought that maybe some of you are interested in the languages and I'm very interested in helping foreigners here learn them.

Paul
If you want any help, you can just message me and I'd be more than happy to teach you the provincial dialect

shansi, until you have been an active member who has successfully completed 50 posts, you are only able to communicate via PM with staff members. Please read the rules of the forum for further information.

P.S.: I wonder who I can contact in the forums here if I wanted to create some sort of Tagalog/Ilonggo guide in the forums seeing that you got a Cebuano guide here already. I just thought that maybe some of you are interested in the languages and I'm very interested in helping foreigners here learn them.

Actually, there is one here as well. I just haven't put it on the site yet.

ringbinderstanding200x210.jpg

Edited by Paul