USAA (US Bank) very impressed

USMC-Retired

well I don't live in the USA so I use a remit service to MHulier and it is nearly the same as exchange rate and the only fee is $8 to $10 per transaction so I get about 10 to 20k each time to make it worth while, certainly a lot cheaper than the bank charges, ATM fees and lousy exchange rates. The only down side is it takes 1 day to go through. If I lived in the USA then I would check this out though!

I am also very impressed with USAA. They have reimbursed all my ATM charges.

Unless things have changed, you have to be affiliated with the US military in some way (active-duty, reserve, retired, dependent or past-dependent) to qualify for membership in USAA. And of course, you have to be a member to have an account. I still have my auto insurance through USAA. Since I don't own a vehicle in the US (which is the only country they will cover you in unless you are active duty), I opted for the Non-owner policy. It costs me $10 a year, and covers me when I am in the US, regardless of what I am driving (rental, borrowed, whatever). Besides keeping me covered, it also keeps me active in the USAA insurance pool, which pays annual dividends to members.

Anyone can open USAA bank accounts now. I am not affiliated with the military in any way and I have accounts there.

USAA charges a 1% foreign transaction fee. Many banks charge between 2 and 3%. If you withdrew $1,000 you'd pay a $10 fee. If the rate were 3%, you'd pay $30. Over the course of a year you could save as much as $240. Clearly, it's worth reading the fine print on your debit card contract.

One way to avoid these fees is to have dollar and peso accounts in the Philippines. Write a check to your dollar account from your U.S. account. Wait three weeks for it to clear then exchange dollars for pesos. For some this is more hastle than it's worth. If you plan on having local accounts anyway it might not be an issue.

Note: Fidelity and Schwab also offer free atm withdrawls. Fidelity has a 1% transaction fee (charged by VISA). I'm not familiar with Schwab's policy.

Edited by Kaku

I have an account with Schwab and they also return all atm and international costs.

USAA charges a 1% foreign transaction fee. Many banks charge between 2 and 3%. If you withdrew $1,000 you'd pay a $10 fee. If the rate were 3%, you'd pay $30. Over the course of a year you could save as much as $240. Clearly, it's worth reading the fine print on your debit card contract.

Note: Fidelity and Schwab also offer free atm withdrawls. Fidelity has a 1% transaction fee (charged by VISA). I'm not familiar with Schwab's policy.

Schwab is definitely another good option, they have no foreign transaction fee. I have accounts there too and would rank them similar to USAA.

When Wells Fargo added monthly fees to all of my "no fee" accounts earlier this year, I started researching the best alternatives. I decided on USAA and Schwab for personal accounts, HSBC for business accounts.

Anyone can open USAA bank accounts now. I am not affiliated with the military in any way and I have accounts there.

Yeah, I've got on there too. Easy to deal with.

If you need to contact USAA they have a toll free number from the Philippines OR they are quick to respond through their secure message center on their site to inquiries.

• 3 months later...
ed villas

that is good, what about exchange rate, that is where it really matters?

the exchange RATE IS determine by the mastercard/visa rate in effect that day, the bank as most banks have no word in setting that RATE,

battleborn

I have a USAA account.  Easy to move money, easy to view transactions online.  Its a very good bank if you travel or live overseas.

Mr. Mike

USAA,,,,,,,,,,,,member since 1992,,,,,,,,,,,,the BEST!

streak03

Mods can you delete this post please?

Thanks

Edited by streak03