USAA (US Bank) very impressed

USMC-Retired

USMC-Retired

I had a recently switched my banking account to USAA. I can say that I am thrilled with this decision and should have done it a while ago. Couple of things I just noticed.

1. There is no ATM fee here in Cebu. (limit 15 transaction a month)

2. International fee for usage is was 0% (limit 15 transaction a month)

3. The 200 peso surcharge was automatically posted back into my account. (limit 5 a month)

What does that mean to me. This month it has saved already 760 pesos drawing money in fees and international transactions.

600 pesos in ATM Fee banks here

120 pesos in ATM Bank Fee

40 pesos in international transfer fee

This amount may not seem like alot but over the course of a year. That is 9,000 pesos.

• Like 4
  • Admin (Retired)
broden

will you ever approach 15 transactions a month?

Mr. Mike

I have been a USAA member since the 80s. They are excellent!

• Like 1
USMC-Retired

will you ever approach 15 transactions a month?

I could never use that many. However some are ATM hounds.

• Admin (Retired)
broden

I could never use that many. However some are ATM hounds.

that's good.. to me that's the kind of real world stuff i want to hear .. i mean i see people selling things all the time and say you get this or that for free but in reality it doesn't really work out

passingby

I also find them GREAT!! I just found out about a service also - I have a checking account in another bank but wanted to transfer funds to USAA for onward transfer to Cebu. They have a way to write a check to yourself / account OR use a check you may have and upon getting into this program scan the check front and over the internet it is deposited to your USAA account. In the past I wrote a check and sent it to USAA and it took 10 days or so. For those that meet their criteria I recommend them totally - could not be happier.

• Like 1

that is good, what about exchange rate, that is where it really matters?

Headshot

Unless things have changed, you have to be affiliated with the US military in some way (active-duty, reserve, retired, dependent or past-dependent) to qualify for membership in USAA. And of course, you have to be a member to have an account. I still have my auto insurance through USAA. Since I don't own a vehicle in the US (which is the only country they will cover you in unless you are active duty), I opted for the Non-owner policy. It costs me $10 a year, and covers me when I am in the US, regardless of what I am driving (rental, borrowed, whatever). Besides keeping me covered, it also keeps me active in the USAA insurance pool, which pays annual dividends to members.

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 1
USMC-Retired

The exchange rate when I drew out money yesterday was 41.55. I received 40.966666. I calculated it as soon as I got home to see if I was being taken. I do not think USAA sets that though. I think Master Card sets it. Maybe someone can clarify that.

RetiredNavyGuy

I, too, have been with USAA for many years. If you have a problem, they are very understanding and do their best to work it out.

Example: I went to the local BPI to withdraw PHP10000...I didn't get any money even after the machine returned my card. So, figuring a network problem, I went to BPO and successfully withdrew 10000. When I got home, BOTH ATM transactions had posted to by account. So I send them a message asking if there was anything they could do to assist me (Did not demand any specific action). Within 24 hours, the BPI transaction had been reversed and the money was back in my account. Don't know very many banks with that kind of customer service any more.

Headshot is right, there as some restrictions on membership.

eggnoggin

1963-2013 .hopefully..fortunately ..the heart soul ..and salt of the earth... fighting men and women now comprise most of the memberhip..usaa insures more ferraris and exotics than any other ins company.... :wheel:

streak03

I got an account with USAA in the early 1990's when they opened up to NCO's. Prior to that, it was only open to Officers. Its a very expat/deployment friendly bank, never had a problem at all.

• Like 2
Maybe Next Yr

I have an account with Schwab and they also return all atm and international costs.

• Like 1
SkyMan
3. The 200 peso surcharge was automatically posted back into my account. (limit 5 a month)
Limit $15 per month. 5 X p200 would be over the $15. I avoid using that benefit if possible as I imagine too much use will make it go away. Plan your ATM withdrawals to HSBC, which doesn't charge a fee, if possible.
USMC-Retired

I did not even ask it just appeared.