Sign in to follow this  
littlejohn

Herbal Dengue Fever Treatments

littlejohn

Was asked to put this in a new topic so here it is. As I said before I had dengue over a year ago really makes you weak and lethargic for weeks after recovery. This seemed to work for me and a friend who just got over it recently. One of he bitterest things you ever tasted though, really its nasty!

http://timesofindia....intenttarget=no

KOLKATA: It could be a miracle cure for dengue. And the best part is you can make it at home.

The juice of the humble papaya leaf has been seen to arrest the destruction of platelets that has been the cause for so many deaths this dengue season. Ayurveda researchers have found that enzymes in the papaya leaf can fight a host of viral infections, not just dengue, and can help regenerate platelets and white blood cells.

Scores of patients have benefited from the papaya leaf juice, say doctors.

Papaya has always been known to be good for the digestive system. Due to its rich vitamin and mineral content, it is a health freak's favourite. But its dengue -fighting properties have only recently been discovered.

Chymopapin and papin - enzymes in the papaya leaf - help revive platelet count, say experts.

"They have a role in regenerating healthy cells. So, it's perhaps possible to treat platelet fall with them. We need more research in this area," said a researcher at the National Institute for Ayurvedic Drug Development

The juice has to be prepared from fresh papaya leaves, say the researchers. Devein the leaves and grind the green, pulpy part into a paste. You can also use a mixer.

The paste is very bitter and you would probably have to mix it with fruit juice. Doctors recommend 20-25 ml (about four to five teaspoons), twice a day, for at least a week to get the best results...................................

http://thestar.com.m...2609&sec=nation

KUALA LUMPUR: Papaya leaves and pegaga (centella asiatica) juice are a possible cure for dengue fever, a recent study revealed.

It has been reported that many people consume papaya leaves or pegaga juice to increase their platelet count after they contract dengue fever.

A recent study, conducted by a group of researchers from local and foreign universities, indicated that the powder from papaya leaves has substances responsible for the release and/or production of thrombocytes (platelets)...............

http://nutritionsolu...dengueremedies/

Top 7 Natural Remedies for Dengue Fever

1. RAW PAPAYA LEAVES .....

2. FRUIT & VEGETABLE JUICES......

3. WATER & FLUIDS......

4. YOUNG COCONUT WATER.....

5. TAWA-TAWA 6. HOLY BASIL / TULSI......

7. SWEET POTATO GREENS / CAMOTE TOPS ......

Edited by littlejohn
  • Like 3

thebob

It is an article full of if's and but's that mentions 3 anecdotes.

If you contract dengue, or suspect you have, go to a hospital and have the recommended treatment.

Don't self medicate with herbal mumbo jumbo.

• Like 4

littlejohn

I wasn't aware their was an official treatment for it. All I know of is transfusions and IVs which rarely ever help. So tell me again why I want a huge doctor bill?

• Like 1

For Real

Thebob provides the best advice. Dengue must be taken seriously.

Supplementing your diet with the recommendations in the OP is an excellent second line co-commitant treatment

• Like 2

thebob

I wasn't aware their was an official treatment for it. All I know of is transfusions and IVs which rarely ever help. So tell me again why I want a huge doctor bill?

There are many ways in which being in a hospital are going to improve your chances of survival. As a percentage of cases, far more people die of dengue at home than in hospitals, and often it is only severe cases that are taken to hospital.

While there is no cure for dengue, the supportive treatments available are crucial to a favorable prognosis.

"In case of Dengue Hemorrhagic Fever or Dengue Shock Syndrome hospitalization is a must. The mortality rate in the absence of hospitalization can be as high as 50%. With proper treatment the mortality comes down to 3%. More supportive treatment, like intravenous fluid replacement is required to prevent shock in these patients. "

http://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/dengue-treatment.htm

• Like 2

littlejohn

When I had Dengue I told my wife if I started acting goofy or unresponsive to take me to the hospital otherwise they just hold your hand and send you a bill.

rfm010
if I started acting goofy or unresponsive

if that were to be the basis for my wife to take action i would be a permanent resident of the hospital!

• Like 5

littlejohn

By goofy I meant not my normal self ;)

• Like 1

USMC-Retired

I have had it and you feel like a truck has hit you. It goes in cycles you can feel good for a bit then wham you are down again. If you have it get to a doctor. Though I would like to say all the herbs and such would help you. I would not be the one to bet my life on young coconut milk or camote tops. In the hospital there is not much they can do for you. If you are serious a blood transfusion and IVs are the standard treatment. However if you arrive early your chance of a full recovery is far greater. This is not something to wait or hold off treatment. I was given some pills however I have no idea what they were. It may have been something for treatment or just aspirin.

The worse part was the last stage of it. When your feet and hands burn to no end. Like you dipped them in acid.

• Like 2

Headshot

The experience we had with Dengue Fever was one of my groomsmen (a good friend of the family) came down with it, His parents took him to Chong Hua Hospital, and they were giving him all of the standard care (IV fluids and round-the-clock nurses), and he was steadily going downhill anyway. His platelet level kept dropping even with everything they were doing for him. After a couple of days in the hospital, my MIL took in a bottle of juice she made by boiling down a common weed that grows here on Cebu (that is the standard cure here for Dengue), and he immediately started recovering. His platelet count started climbing and the pains went away. Say what you will about herbal remedy, but you need to remember that many medications we take for granted (think aspirin) started out as herbal remedies.

I won't go so far as to say that you should get a Dengue patient into the hospital as quickly as possible, but sometimes it takes more to get a good result here. I have no problem letting the regular doctors and nurses providing their treatment while the family member is also receiving any other traditional medicine that the family has seen work before. I have no idea what the local weed looks like, but I do know what papaya trees look like, since I have a papaya tree in my yard. I would have no problem trying that in conjunction with care in a hospital in treating Dengue Fever. Since modern medicine has so few weapons in its arsenal for curing Dengue Fever (other than watching the patient and keeping them hydrated while the disease runs its course), I have no problem trying something herbal that might actually help...especially if it has been used successfully before.

• Like 5

lazydays
It may have been something for treatment or just aspirin.

It wouldn't be Aspirin, you should never take Aspirin if you suspect Dengue. Aspirin thins the blood, the last thing you need if you start hemorraging. Could have been Paracetamol (Acetaminophen), mild painkiller. :)

• Like 2

lazydays
my MIL took in a bottle of juice she made by boiling down a common weed that grows here on Cebu

Tawa-Tawa.

post-6307-0-68080700-1352255751_thumb.jpg

post-6307-0-92741900-1352255819_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Maybe Next Yr

I contracted Dengue in Cebu 3 weeks ago. I spent 3 days in the hospital (South Gen). 1st couple days I could barely move, started in left leg and move to whole body. Every joint and muscle, mostly legs. The I.V. is to hydrogenate you continuously. The daily blood taking is to measure the platelets. I was lucky my count only dropped to 123. 150 and lower is for monitoring, under 100 is dangerous. 3 days in South Gen (private room) and doctors bill was about 11000 pesos. the Doctor (who basically did nothing but check on me once a day) bill was 4900. The food was the worst and couldn't eat it, so my gf would bring me meals.

After about 1 week I felt my strength coming back. It's been 3+ weeks and I'm still a bit weak from it .... I'm back in US and starting back in the gym but it's not easy. The only pain that it left by me was a knee pain (this was the 1st place I felt it) ... I'm hoping it'll subside.

Hospital in Phils was a small adventure ...not recommended :snap: .

• Like 3

littlejohn

At least those of us that have had are supposed to be immune for some time. Its debated whether it is permanent or not but we should have a few years at least.

Personal opinion: I think if you have had it once and live around it anytime you get bit by a contaminated mosquito you get an immune booster. That is why they don't know how long your immune.

USMC-Retired

There are also 3 strains of it. So you could have one and get two and three later.

• Like 1