Sign in to follow this  
chimellie

Bisayan language

PEARL OF CEBU
Mike,

There are books in Cebuano as well, Bible's, (already mentioned) news papers (at least 2), and Lord only knows what else. It just isn't a subject in school. Oh, there are some shows on television here, in Cebuano too!

Thanks for the info Don ...... about my remark on the Bisayan language I was just quoiting from the website that Lee mentioned ...... the author said it was

"It should be noted that Cebuano is not a written language; it exists in written format only in the form of text messages, posts on the Internet, and the Super Balita, a tabloid. Hence, no standardized spelling exists for Cebuano words. Where vowels or diphtongs are interchangeable, any spelling can be used."

Sorry for the confusion and I am glad that there are things written in the Bisayan language

Hello,

Cebuano or Visayan ,Tagalog,Ilonngo,Waray,Pampanggino......these are Philippines local dialect..and we got lots of it from different places here in my country.But yes you can have a Cebuano English tagalog book as i remembered ,my family was a host of the PEACE CORPS from different country and they were Bringing with them books with Cebuano,tagalog and english.But that was when i was a kid then,we got one couple every year and they live with us for at least 2 to 3 months.What i just dont know if those books are still available in the market.

Edited by PEARL OF CEBU

PEARL OF CEBU
Ok ok I will start one..........

Busog = Full

If someone offers you more to eat and you are full, you would say : " Ako busog" means I am full.

BISAYA PEOPLE,will interpret 'ako busog' in your english language as "ME FULL"..........

It seemed like your saying things just like how "TARZAN" did.... :D But no worries,i am here to help,My Jim said it is okey anyway..

I just consulted my Filipina wife ( from Tabunok, Talisay) . She told me that I can also say "Akoy busog" ( I am full) if someone offered you food but you are full.

I love learning Bisayan, by the time I move to Cebu I want to be fluent ( dream on)....

Cam on (Thank you..in Vietnamese )Pearl of Cebu...and keep teaching us your language.

Yes, you can say it in that manner too.But i was talking about on how you will say it POLITELY,wow all people here in Cebu maybe amazed when you said it POLITELY, more polite than the locals, ISNT IT AMAZING,and yes maybe a big slap in the locals face when you can say it that way.

Its really fine with me to teach you my local dailect...ASK AND I WILL TEACH YOU :rolleyes:

Bob Ward
I just consulted my Filipina wife ( from Tabunok, Talisay) . She told me that I can also say "Akoy busog" ( I am full) if someone offered you food but you are full.

Chemille, just for the record, Kristine tells me that the phrase above is Tagalog, not Bisayan. I'm not trying to criticize, just trying to make sure we learn Bisayan correctly.

POC, sorry but she had one suggestion about your phrase as well "salamat busog nako". She tells me it should be salamat busog na ko because using nako is possesive. I'm just telling you what my boss said.

Kristine also tells me that many words in the Philippines have morphed into incorrect spellings because of texting so much. Kids, teenagers and some adults learn the language sending and receiving texts where the spellings are altered because of space and ease of typing. Funny fact for the day

PEARL OF CEBU

Chemille, just for the record, Kristine tells me that the phrase above is Tagalog, not Bisayan. I'm not trying to criticize, just trying to make sure we learn Bisayan correctly.

POC, sorry but she had one suggestion about your phrase as well "salamat busog nako". She tells me it should be salamat busog na ko because using nako is possesive. I'm just telling you what my boss said.

Kristine also tells me that many words in the Philippines have morphed into incorrect spellings because of texting so much. Kids, teenagers and some adults learn the language sending and receiving texts where the spellings are altered because of space and ease of typing. Funny fact for the day

HAHAHAHAHHA,GOOD MORNING BOB AND CHRISTINE :rolleyes: YES I STAND CORREECTED,IT SHOULD HAVE A SPACE IN BETWEEN NA AND KO

Bob Ward

HAHAHAHAHHA,GOOD MORNING BOB AND CHRISTINE :rolleyes: YES I STAND CORREECTED,IT SHOULD HAVE A SPACE IN BETWEEN NA AND KO

Why don't you meet us at the French Baker in SM so you can meet some of the other forum members? Or are you down south?

PEARL OF CEBU

hahahhahahahhaha GOOD MORNING BOB AND KRISTINE.Yes i stand corrected,there should be a space in between na and ko.

So Chimellie,it should be SALAMAT BUSOG NA KO..

Thanks guys :rolleyes:

Edited by PEARL OF CEBU

chimellie

This is great guys, I am learning from the best.......Keep teaching and I will learn. By the time I retire we all can talk in Bisayan ! I also learned that Filipinos short cut their words.....like instead of saying ako, they say ko, instead saying imo they say mo , instead of wala they say wa........etc.....just to confuse foreigners more.

I am ready to learn a new word now POC, you can start one now if you want to

Thanks again POC,Bob,Paul..........

PEARL OF CEBU

Why don't you meet us at the French Baker in SM so you can meet some of the other forum members? Or are you down south?

Hi again Bob and Christine

I really would like to see you guys there but unfortunately i am a little bit busy here, i have a secret assignment hahahaha,here in the southern part of cebu.But i will see you there sooner,I will ask JIM my Fiancee first....

DAGHANG SALAMAT BOB :D

chimellie

Pearl.............I am ready for another Bisayan lesson......Daghang salamat.........

PEARL OF CEBU
Pearl.............I am ready for another Bisayan lesson......Daghang salamat.........

Lesson number two, "WALAY SAPAYAN" OR IN SHORT CUT "WAY SAPAYAN" ,means YOUR WELCOME OR DONT MENTION IT.. :any-help::D

chimellie

Lesson number two, "WALAY SAPAYAN" OR IN SHORT CUT "WAY SAPAYAN" ,means YOUR WELCOME OR DONT MENTION IT.. :any-help::D

POC....I looked in the Bisayan dictionary for the word "sapayan" and couldn't find it.........Is this spelling correctly ? I just wanted to look up what " sapayan " means.......

Thanks again

Lee

POC....I looked in the Bisayan dictionary for the word "sapayan" and couldn't find it.........Is this spelling correctly ? I just wanted to look up what " sapayan " means.......

Thanks again

Welcome

like walay sapayan, your welcome

PEARL OF CEBU

Lesson number two, "WALAY SAPAYAN" OR IN SHORT CUT "WAY SAPAYAN" ,means YOUR WELCOME OR DONT MENTION IT.. :D:lol:

Thanks again

The Spelling of that word is correct and i dont know why you cant find it in the Bisayan dictionary.A again it is WALAY SAPAYAN OR WAY SAPAYAN,IN TAGALOG IT IS WALANG ANUMAN.There is no other possible spelling of that word.But what i am not sure is,if there is another Bisayan term for your welcome,as far as i knew,thats that only word.But i wanna tell you guys that,there are more deep Bisayan term that the new generations doesnt know it.

It is a long story why ,BUT THIS IS THE SHORT CUT REASON,there is no pure Philippine language or terms.Everything that we are, are all mixed,includng our culture,our Blood,our attitude and our LANGUAGE and local dialects.

I am just teaching you what i knew and i honestly dont know all the old terms that our oldies were using and probably that is wht they have in the Bisayan dictionary.

I hope this explains to your question. :thats-funny:

chimellie

Thanks so much for taking your time to explain.

Mabuhay also means welcome, I saw that on the Filipino TV.......But my wife said I can't use it in the sentence as : You're welcome........ Strange !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PEARL OF CEBU
Thanks so much for taking your time to explain.

Mabuhay also means welcome, I saw that on the Filipino TV.......But my wife said I can't use it in the sentence as : You're welcome........ Strange !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HAHAHAHA :D ,I was supposed to say that in my last post,but did not do it cause i still have to think of the logical reason why?

But anyway,i will try this......YOUR WELCOME as in the reply of THANK YOU, i think it is another way of saying its okey,YOU CAN DO IT AGAIN,its a suggestive statement which will assure you that dont be afraid to do it again,like when you will say it in BISAYAN, WALAY SAPAYAN.

While WELCOME AS IN MABUHAY,it is definitely SUGGESTING TO YOU TO COME BACK AGAIN ANYTIME,so i guess the actual application of the word is different because WELCOM AS IN MABUHAY is somewhat like a PATRIOTIC WORD OR TERM.

I told you its hard :thats-funny: but i am sure some guys here can add to this...But just dont let this make your headache,hahahahahha. :lol:

Edited by PEARL OF CEBU