Sign in to follow this  
chimellie

Bisayan language

chimellie
Ok ok I will start one..........

Busog = Full

If someone offers you more to eat and you are full, you would say : " Ako busog" means I am full.

BISAYA PEOPLE,will interpret 'ako busog' in your english language as "ME FULL"..........

It seemed like your saying things just like how "TARZAN" did.... :D But no worries,i am here to help,My Jim said it is okey anyway..

Thanks for the correction....Next week you can start one and please keep it simple.

Daghang salamat

Bob Ward

POC, I hear you. Even when I say something grammatically correct, many times it still sounds like baby talk because we Anglos have a hard time pronouncing the words with proper consonant and vowel sounds. Simple example is the word tuo meaning (tuo: believe (v.); really (adv.); right (adj.)

Kanos will say Too - Oh with a hard t sound. But a Cebuano will pronounce that t with a very soft sound tu-oh which makes the word quite different sounding if you listen closely.

We are just phonetically challenged in the same way a Cebuano is trying to say bag instead of bahhg! LOL

Edited by Bob Ward

Lee

Busog = Full

If someone offers you more to eat and you are full, you would say : " Ako busog" means I am full.

Even if your Bisayan is not 100%, they will get the point and understand what you are trying to say and not be insulted. I have said many things wrong and they still bring a big smile to many faces here because they know that at least I am trying and they understand what I mean.

I have found that the more important thing is to understand what is being said and if you throw in a word or two or phrase or two from time to time, they then know you understand and it will stop a lot of possible back biting. I found this really works in public to stop people from saying things about me or about my wife being with me.

One thing to learn is Dili Kasabut, sort of, I do not understand. I find that helps me especially when in the provinces deep into Mindanao with the children who have probably never seen a round eye but me before and the only language they think exists is Bisayan so they cannot understand why I do not answer them when they ask me a question. I also find that many educated people will switch to English when I say that.

PEARL OF CEBU

Busog = Full

BISAYA PEOPLE,will interpret 'ako busog' in your english language as "ME FULL"..........

It seemed like your saying things just like how "TARZAN" did.... :D But no worries,i am here to help,My Jim said it is okey anyway..

Thanks for the correction....Next week you can start one and please keep it simple.

Daghang salamat

You are most welcome :D I will, PROMISE! But expect a simple test at the end f the month,OK? B)

I just want to say this, you showed interest in our VISAYAN DIALECT,and i am a little bit proud of it.The reason why i corrected you is that,since you showed interest in learning,why teach you the wrong way,when you can learn how to say it the right way!Now wheres the logic?

So,see you next week?

Edited by PEARL OF CEBU

Bob Ward
My co-worker(Kano) used to live in Japan when he was young and he's fluent in Janpenese. On time we had Janpanese visitors touring the factory where we work, one Janpanese man said to his country man : "Hey, look at that fat American " . My co-worker is about 300 lbs, he got up from his chair and let the Janpanese have it in Japenese and the place got very quite, the next day we didn't that Japanese guy come around.

Yes if you cause a Japanes man to "loose face" he will be very reluctant to show himself, especially if he was wrong!

:as-if:HELLO BOB, OHIO GOZAIMAS

Ogenki-desu-ka Joychan

Odaijini

Bob

PEARL OF CEBU
My co-worker(Kano) used to live in Japan when he was young and he's fluent in Janpenese. On time we had Janpanese visitors touring the factory where we work, one Janpanese man said to his country man : "Hey, look at that fat American " . My co-worker is about 300 lbs, he got up from his chair and let the Janpanese have it in Japenese and the place got very quite, the next day we didn't that Japanese guy come around.

Yes if you cause a Japanes man to "loose face" he will be very reluctant to show himself, especially if he was wrong!

Ogenki-desu-ka Joychan

Odaijini

Bob

Genki desu BOB

Kirei desu, always hahahahhahahahahahha

chimellie

Ogenki-desu-ka Joychan

Odaijini

Bob

Genki desu BOB

Kirei desu, always hahahahhahahahahahha

Is this Japanese ???????????????????????

Pearl of Cebu, are you Pinoy ?

Edited by CaptainJackson

PEARL OF CEBU

Hello,

Are you serious with your question?????

:D Yes i am a native FILIPINA,in thoughts,sometimes in words,sometimes in deed but all the time in my HEART.. B) :D

BOB is the JAPANESE,hahahahhahahaha just kidding,, :D (extend my warmest regards to CHRISTINE,BOB)

and yes those are JAPANESE LANGUAGE,SAYUNARA :D

Bob Ward
Hello,

:D Yes i am a native FILIPINA,in thoughts,sometimes in words,sometimes in deed but all the time in my HEART.. B) :D

BOB is the JAPANESE,hahahahhahahaha just kidding,, :D (extend my warmest regards to CHRISTINE,BOB)

Konnichiwa Mata ashita

Nan desu ka

But kumpai ne is my favorite Japanese phrase cause I get to drink some sake, beer or Suntory!

Hey I think Japanese is OT.

Pasayloa ko

Bob

PEARL OF CEBU
Hello,

B) Yes i am a native FILIPINA,in thoughts,sometimes in words,sometimes in deed but all the time in my HEART.. :D:lol:

Konnichiwa Mata ashita

Nan desu ka

But kumpai ne is my favorite Japanese phrase cause I get to drink some sake, beer or Suntory!

Hey I think Japanese is OT.

Pasayloa ko

Bob

Hahahahhahaahaha whatever :D

KOMBAWA BOB AND CHRISTINE, I think we got salad of languages already in here.

Would you like to try Mandarin too? Try this...NI HAO MA?

:D JOYJIM

Don.

Mandarin ?

How about "wei" or "wei wei"

I had a Chinese gf about 10 years

ago, and that was the only word

I can remember, I think (hope) it means "hello".

The words in Visayan that always confuse me are the

words for "full, rice, and belly button"

You clarified the busog, but I get it confused with the

pusok (rice?) and pusod (belly button or navel )

I have a English- Cebuano dictionary, but it does not include

the Cebuano word for rice !

Thanks Pearl ! and welcome to the forum. Filipinas here

are always appreciated !

PEARL OF CEBU
Mandarin ?

How about "wei" or "wei wei"

I had a Chinese gf about 10 years

ago, and that was the only word

I can remember, I think (hope) it means "hello".

The words in Visayan that always confuse me are the

words for "full, rice, and belly button"

You clarified the busog, but I get it confused with the

pusok (rice?) and pusod (belly button or navel )

I have a English- Cebuano dictionary, but it does not include

the Cebuano word for rice !

Thanks Pearl ! and welcome to the forum. Filipinas here

are always appreciated !

Okey, WEI pronounced as WAY ,means hello, but this particualr word in chinese usually used in answering telephonecalls.

it is not PUSOK but it is PUSO means HANGING RICE ,while PUSOD is pronounced as PUUUHHH SOD

chimellie

Busog = Full

It seemed like your saying things just like how "TARZAN" did.... :rolleyes: But no worries,i am here to help,My Jim said it is okey anyway..

I just consulted my Filipina wife ( from Tabunok, Talisay) . She told me that I can also say "Akoy busog" ( I am full) if someone offered you food but you are full.

I love learning Bisayan, by the time I move to Cebu I want to be fluent ( dream on)....

Cam on (Thank you..in Vietnamese )Pearl of Cebu...and keep teaching us your language.

Edited by chimellie

Paul

Mike,

There are books in Cebuano as well, Bible's, (already mentioned) news papers (at least 2), and Lord only knows what else. It just isn't a subject in school. Oh, there are some shows on television here, in Cebuano too!

Thanks for the info Don ...... about my remark on the Bisayan language I was just quoiting from the website that Lee mentioned ...... the author said it was

"It should be noted that Cebuano is not a written language; it exists in written format only in the form of text messages, posts on the Internet, and the Super Balita, a tabloid. Hence, no standardized spelling exists for Cebuano words. Where vowels or diphtongs are interchangeable, any spelling can be used."

Sorry for the confusion and I am glad that there are things written in the Bisayan language

Paul
I just consulted my Filipina wife ( from Tabunok, Talisay) . She told me that I can also say "Akoy busog" ( I am full) if someone offered you food but you are full.

I love learning Bisayan, by the time I move to Cebu I want to be fluent ( dream on)....

Cam on (Thank you..in Vietnamese )Pearl of Cebu...and keep teaching us your language.

Chi,

There are, often, a number of different ways to say things in Cebuano. For example, you can also say, Busog na ko (I am full).