Sign in to follow this  
chimellie

Bisayan language

chimellie

My co-worker(Kano) used to live in Japan when he was young and he's fluent in Janpenese. On time we had Janpanese visitors touring the factory where we work, one Janpanese man said to his country man : "Hey, look at that fat American " . My co-worker is about 300 lbs, he got up from his chair and let the Janpanese have it in Japenese and the place got very quite, the next day we didn't that Japanese guy come around.

PEARL OF CEBU
Visayan uses many Spanish words. Having studied Spanish for 2 years in the states, I can understand some Visayan.

I have been able to combine the Spanish that I already knew, with some Visayan that I have learned over the years, but I am still not fluent.

One trick that I learned if I know the locals are talking about me is to politely turn to them and say "unsa man ?" (what is it ?) and they very quickly stop talking because they do not know if I am fluent or not.

If you ride a jeepney , many times you will hear "Kano kuripot, or Kano barrato"

(Cheap or thrifty American) so, I just politely ask "unsa man ? and then they become shy

and stop talking about me. (backbiting).

Sometimes it can be great to understand Visayan, but then it can also be a liability if you hear them insulting you or your female companion.

I was admitted to Chang Hua hospital a few years ago, and the female helper refused to push my wheelchair commenting in Visayan that I was too fat, and that a male helper should

push my wheelchair. I only weigh 160 pounds, less than many Filipinos.

Typically, if I am with a Filipina, I just pretend that I did not hear or understand the insults or

comments and I keep walking.

Also, if you do loose your temper, and you feel as though you must say something, then say it in English. Filipinos typically respond ok to criticisms or comments in English.

The most fun is with cashiers and waitresses, I will try to converse only in Visayan, and my little knowledge of the language, plus my bad pronunciations keep them laughing and smiling.

If you scold or insult them in Visayan, you better run, because they will be fighting mad.

Yes,VISAYAN DIALECT is not purely visayan words.Mosts of the words came from different foreign languages and that inlcudes,SPANISH,JAPANESE,CHINESE AND OTHERS..But since the spaniards were the ones stayed here longer,they influenced us more in many aspects not only in languages but as well as the attitude and cultures and even beliefs.

Now if you knew some of the languages from this different countries,then i guess you will learn how to speak and understand faster.

But of course,ACTIONS SPEAKS LOUDER THAN WORDS,BODY LANGUAGE IS MORE RELIABLE THAN IN WHAT YOU HEAR....

Edited by PEARL OF CEBU

Bob Ward
My co-worker(Kano) used to live in Japan when he was young and he's fluent in Janpenese. On time we had Janpanese visitors touring the factory where we work, one Janpanese man said to his country man : "Hey, look at that fat American " . My co-worker is about 300 lbs, he got up from his chair and let the Janpanese have it in Japenese and the place got very quite, the next day we didn't that Japanese guy come around.

Yes if you cause a Japanes man to "loose face" he will be very reluctant to show himself, especially if he was wrong!

PEARL OF CEBU

Yes if you cause a Japanes man to "loose face" he will be very reluctant to show himself, especially if he was wrong!

:as-if:HELLO BOB, OHIO GOZAIMAS

Don.

Hi Daisy,

I realize that when most Filipinos call someone fat it is just their normal way of describing a person and that calling someone fat is typically also saying that the Filipino thinks that you look wealthy or healthy.

So, when most Filipinos refer to me as fat or chubby, I know that it is normal for them and that they are trying to compliment me, no problem.

In the US, referring to someone as fat is an insult. Calling someone fat to their face might get you

insulted or hit very quickly. I would never call a friend of mine in America fat, my friend might

stop being my friend forever, or refuse to speak to me again.

At Chang Hua, it was not the fact that she called me fat, it was the way she said it with the

Filipino wrinkled nose expression and look of negativity on her face. She and the male helper were arguing about which one should push my wheelchair and the female was refusing to

help calling me fat several times.

So, I was listening to what she was saying, but I was also looking at her attitude, and her

attitude was very negative.

My girlfriend was with me at the time, and my gf also knew the Filipina was insulting me,

not complimenting me. Both of us said nothing and just waited for the helpers to stop arguing and waited for the male helper to push my wheelchair.

I was admitted to Chang Hua hospital a few years ago, and the female helper refused to push my wheelchair commenting in Visayan that I was too fat, and that a male helper should

push my wheelchair. I only weigh 160 pounds, less than many Filipinos.

Mostly, for Filipinos, talking about weight or how fat or skinny you are is not an insult...it's just a normal way of describing a person. My Filipino friend, now living in US and a citizen told me otherwise....Is it true?

Mike S
Here is an interesting site I found with a lot of Cebuano words and phrases that helps me to learn the language.

http://www.wayblima.com/cebu-language.html

Wow what an excellent site ........ my gf will be really interested in it as she speaks tagalog and is a little worried about not be able to speak when she arrives in Cebu ....... guess we will have to learn together ...... might try to find some one to teach us when I get there .... I took 2 years of Spanish and I noticed that some words are the same ...... we will see ...

Mike S

I think the fat thing is all in how you take it ........ if you are fat why in the world would you get mad if someone called you that .... unless you have a complex about being fat ........ I am rather large at least with a big belly and yes I can be considered fat .... does it bother me ...... no ...... if you want to call me fat ... go ahead ..... I am what I am and I except that ....... that is life ..... all I can say is that if you are touchy about your weight .... loose it ...... if it is such a big problem with you ...... I personally don't care what people think about me I know what I am and that is all that matters ..... Oh by the way this is not directed at anyone here just my thoughts in general on the subject and has nothing to do with nor directed at any of the above posters ......

Sorry that this is off topic but I didn't want to start a fat thread ........ figured no one would read it anyway ...... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

As far as the Bisayan language I found it extremely interesting that is not a written language and as the article said it is best learned by speaking it ..... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes::lol:

Edited by Mike S

Don.

Hi Mike,

I have lived here in the Philipines for over 5 years now, I only weigh 160 pounds, and have heard the locals call me fat or chubby at least 100 times.

But, I am not insulted or react to it because I understand that in the Filipino culture that

most of the time it is considered a compliment. Several of my previous girlfriends have even talked about getting me fatter so that I would look more properous in the Filipinos eyes.

My sensitive area is the fact that I have been losing my hair since age 20. None of my American family or friends have ever said anything about it at all, except for my mother. But, what can I do? She is my mother after all.

Glad to hear that you are comfortable with your weight. You are correct, what you think about yourself is the most important. Happiness and confidence comes from within.

I return to America in October, maybe I should try a little experiment and approach 20

different 300 pound Americans (both male and female), and announce to them that I consider them to be fat or obese. How many of these 300 pound American men or women do you think will knock my 160 pounds to the ground, or shout obscenities at me ?

I have a guess that the majority of them would not react positively to my commnet.

Also, if you were being admitted for surgery in the most expensive hospital in your city in America.

How would you feel if the employees were standing around calling you too fat to move and the employees are refusing to help you ?

Anyway, time to return the thread back to the Visayan language.

I have seen a few Visayan books and dictionaries in the bookstores.

Plus, I believe there is also one or more newspapers in Visayan.

My guess is that Visayan is written phonetically, and that several different

spellings can all be correct.

Sometimes Visayan can be very similar to Spanish, but not exactly the same.

In Spanish I learned derecho and ocho, but here in Cebu I hear deretso and otso.

Take Care,

Don

I think the fat thing is all in how you take it ........ if you are fat why in the world would you get mad if someone called you that .... unless you have a complex about being fat ........ I am rather large at least with a big belly and yes I can be considered fat .... does it bother me ...... no ...... if you want to call me fat ... go ahead ..... I am what I am and I except that ....... that is life ..... all I can say is that if you are touchy about your weight .... loose it ...... if it is such a big problem with you ...... I personally don't care what people think about me I know what I am and that is all that matters ..... Oh by the way this is not directed at anyone here just my thoughts in general on the subject and has nothing to do with nor directed at any of the above posters ......

Sorry that this is off topic but I didn't want to start a fat thread ........ figured no one would read it anyway ...... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

As far as the Bisayan language I found it extremely interesting that is not a written language and as the article said it is best learned by speaking it ..... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes::lol:

Don.

There is an online Visayan newspaper, just google "superbalita".

Mike S

Thanks for the info Don ...... about my remark on the Bisayan language I was just quoiting from the website that Lee mentioned ...... the author said it was

"It should be noted that Cebuano is not a written language; it exists in written format only in the form of text messages, posts on the Internet, and the Super Balita, a tabloid. Hence, no standardized spelling exists for Cebuano words. Where vowels or diphtongs are interchangeable, any spelling can be used."

Sorry for the confusion and I am glad that there are things written in the Bisayan language

chimellie

I think once a week we should learn a new word. Someone can put in a word and in a simple sentence .

Does someone want to start ?

chimellie

Ok ok I will start one..........

Busog = Full

If someone offers you more to eat and you are full, you would say : " Ako busog" means I am full.

Bob Ward

LapuLapu = more expensive rent! Sorry I will try again later! :D B) :D

PEARL OF CEBU

Busog = Full

If someone offers you more to eat and you are full, you would say : " Ako busog" means I am full.

HELLO,

This is the way to say it politely ............ SALAMAT, BUSOG NAKO! It just simply means , THANK YOU I AM FULL !

LESSON FOR THE DAY FOR EVERYONE.......

PEARL OF CEBU

Busog = Full

BISAYA PEOPLE,will interpret 'ako busog' in your english language as "ME FULL"..........

It seemed like your saying things just like how "TARZAN" did.... :D But no worries,i am here to help,My Jim said it is okey anyway..