Sign in to follow this  
udonthani

reliable way to get a bank card sent to the Philippines from UK

Mr.T

Fedex would cost you 180$ delivery within 3-5 days

Can't believe you would consider paying half and to wait 3 weeks instead.

udonthani

if it's as high as $180, then that blows out Fed Ex. It's no longer cost effective then. I might as well just have the money in the debit account, withdrawn from an ATM in the UK and then sent over periodically by Western Union. It will work out considerably less expensive overall. Not only will I have to shell out the Fed Ex fee, but also the bank charges on top of that. It will work out much more.

Western Union is also more convenient, than using ATM machines as they have a much greater reach in the provinces.

USMC-Retired

just send it via pigeon. We know it will be with him even in death. Stop trying to save a few pounds as you may need this card. But you go about using a pigeon and see what happens.

udonthani

I don't think it really is all that essential to be honest. More effort will need to expended, and more costs incurred, to get a more expensive, and less convenient service than I will get if somebody in the UK just walks round the corner, makes an ATM withdrawal with the replacement debit card. and then spends five minutes by a Western Union machine in their local corner shop, once every three weeks. At the moment, it just doesn't make sense to me, to bother having the card sent here.

Edited by udonthani

lazydays

As it's dependent on weight and envelope/package size, a bank card is very small and weighs next to nothing.

Just took a quick look at Fedex UK site, no prices unless you type in all the info.

So i checked parcel2go.com which is an agent for major carriers, there quoting Fedex World Express to Asia from £26-49p + Vat, which is around US$50. Delivery within 3 working days.

udonthani

but I am still liable for the 400 peso hit, each time I take out 10,000 (around 150 pounds) from a Filipino ATM with the replacement card. That's $10, for every 10,000 pesos - 2% from Nationwide, who have increased their charges yet again, and 200 from the Filipino banking system, therefore it costs about $35, for me to get hold of 500 UK pounds sterling in pesos, using an ATM.

to send 500 pounds by Western Union, Uk-Philippines, costs 27 pounds, or $43, only $8 more, than it costs to withdraw the peso equivalent of 500 pounds, from a Filipino ATM.

as I'll only be using a total of 3,500 UK pounds, for the rest of my trip, the total differential in cost is only $56, i.e. about the same as it will cost, to pay Fedex, to ship the card.

it just doesn't seem worth it, especially as with Western Union, I'll be able to get my hands on money if need be in far more remote locations than are covered by ATM's.

by Monday evening Filipino time, I'll know what the precise cost of using Fedex will be and decide whether it's worth bothering with them.

• Like 1

David_LivinginTalisay

I am trying to remember which International Courier Service, relies on local Philippines Courier for the in-country delivery?

Most Couriers have a Tracking Service, but this Couriers Service informs you it reached the Philippines, then nothing as to where it has gone and what is the delay after that. You end up having to phone the Philippines Courier with a Reference No. I ended up having to go to their Office in F.Ramos St. as they claim a delivery was attempted but they claim nobody there to sign for receipt, so was returned, A repeat delivery attempt would be the next day! One uses a Courier for FAST and reliable service.

Actually Air21, 2Go and LBC do seem to offer a pretty good Philippine Courier service.

I have ordered things from USA and was sent via USPS, as well as on-line ordering from China and it being sent EMS.

The speed of delivery to the Philippines is prompt and efficient (2-3 days typically) and offer Tracking Service.

The problem comes when Phil Post take over for the in-country delivery! It seems to take 10-14 days to get from Manila to Cebu then 2-3 days to get to Talisay Post Office. Then it can sit in Talisay Post office for 2 days and get it delivered or a phone call advising they have a parcel that needs signing for.

Or it can sit there for 2-4 months, with nobody delivering or notifying the recipient, even if a signed for service, including Department of Justice Court Hearing Notice!

HSBC UK sent out a letter to me advising one of my UK Accounts had not been used in over 12 months and if I did not reply in 3 months would be considered a Dormant Account and be closed.

Trouble is Phil Post did not deliver/notify such letter had been received, Nor the repeat send the following 2 months, then the Notice of the Account having been closed, along with other Account in the same Branch (for which no Notice given)! I found this out when I could not log-in to my UK Account one day. On making a Skype call to UK Service Center, I was informed that my Account was closed.

On going to Talisay Post Office, they found such letters from HSBC going back over 3 months!

There was also a payment check from the PDIC, to my wife, Salome, I received an e-mail advising a check had been sent. On inquiring with Talisay Post Office, they denied receiving any such letter from the PDIC, as these as recorded as they are required to be signed for. The PDIC were sure they had been sent, so I insisted on them providing the actual date handed to Phil Post (not the date on the Check, as it has been known for the mailing to be 4-5 weeks after the date on the check)! They provided the Ref No and date, so armed with this, we had Talisay Post Office investigate. According to the Post Marks, Talisay Post Office received it some 3 weeks earlier!

I want to send Salome (Sha-Sha) a China Construction Bank (CCB) ATM Card. But I want a prompt and reliable service, so that means EMS is OK for delivery from China to say Hong Kong as it is next day service usually (along with Macau and Taiwan). It will then get to the Philippines OK, and fairly quickly, but Phil Post for the delivery to Cebu, then Talisay City, is out of the question!

I intend to use EMS to send Sha-Sha's sister in Hong Kong, and she will use LBC office in WorldWide Center, Central to Courier direct to our address in Talisay City with sign-for delivery.

I will go to the China Post branch in Mianyang City, on Monday afternoon, and use the EMS Service to Hong Kong. I expect it to be with LBC in Hong Kong before Thursday.

It cost Y98.00 to send via EMS to my sister-in-law in Hong Kong. I sent it late (after 5pm) on the Monday and it was delivered on Wednesday. She tried LBC but stupidly told them it was a Credit Card, and they replied they don't handle shipment of Credit Cards.

It is a debit card and only had Y13.50 balance, so hardly a big financial loss/claim, if they lost it!

The alternatives were to check out DHL or FedEx.

This is what DHL quoted:-

"shipment from Hong Kong to Cebu is 2 working days, excluding the shipment pickup day and public holidays at the destination. Please note that the exact transit time varies depending on the declared value, commodity and government regulations at the destination.

For the shipment cost, we assume your membership card in under our minimum weight 0.5kg and it will cost HKD166"

Here is what the FedEx rep 'Nick' said in an on-line 'chat':-

Nick : it takes one wroking day and cost is 158 HKD

David Whittall: Any restrictions on the 'Document/Card' to be shipped? ie A Debit Card, not a Credit Card, and only Y13.50 load? So the monetary value is very low, in case of loss!

Nick : No restrctions on that

David Whittall: My sister in law, Marciana, lives in Wanchai, where is nearest FedEx drop off point please?

Nick : The nearest centre is in Shop 67, 1/F., shopping arcade, Admiralty Center, 18 Harcourt Road, Admiralty.

David Whittall: Thank you very much Nick, you have answered all my questions and I will advise Marciana, accordingly, and I have already pasted into Chat to my wife, in Cebu, via Skype, just now.

Marciana is taking that CCB Card of mine to the FedEx Drop Off office in Admiralty today!

If I had used EMS to send to the Philippines, it would be in Manila already (as shown on the Tracking), but then rely on Phil Post for delivery in the Philippines, it would take another 2 weeks or more to get to Talisay City Post Office

udonthani

IT MAKES NO SENSE FOR VISITORS, EVEN FOR VISITORS WHO STAY FOR FOUR MONTHS LIKE ME, TO APPLY FOR A REPLACEMENT ATM CARD, SENT BY FED EX.

it costs 53 pounds sterling to send one by Fed Ex and they say it takes 36 hours

but that doesn't matter because it is simply not cost-effective to do this. Not by an absolute country mile.

Nationwide charges me 2% now, and the Filipine banks charge 200 pesos for me to get out 10,000 pesos, total 400 pesos to get hold of 150 quid.

but Western Union only charges 18 pounds sterling - 1170 pesos - to transfer 1000 pounds - much less, than the ATM costs ALONE.

so even just the ATM withdrawal costs, are much more, at around 2,400 pesos to withdraw 1000 pounds sterling from ATMs here.

it's a lot cheaper even WITHOUT factoring the 53 pounds Fed Ex wants to ship the card so I don't need it. Stuff 'em!

Edited by udonthani

USMC-Retired

Sounds like you need a better bank.

udonthani

no that is the best bank or at least one of the best. They used to be totally free, then after 2007 crisis they started charging now they've increased the charges.

even if it was totally free at the UK side you're still getting hit 200 pesos every time you withdraw 10,000 pesos (150 pounds), which is the standard withdrawal here, it still adds up to 1,300 pesos in ATM fees for 1000 pounds, whereas Western Union only charges 1100 to transfer abd convert 1000 pounds. In practice, he ATM fees alone adds up to more than what Western Union costs!

USMC-Retired

I would consider on your next trip Citibank or HSBC. You do not get hit with that 200 pesos and HSBC has a 0% international transaction fee using there bank. Citibank would ding you if you do not use there bank also. Just an idea

udonthani

it's not practical for me to visit a single, solitary bank in Cebu city, which is a place I seldom want to visit anyway, just to get hold of some money.

USMC-Retired

Just running some ideas for ya. You are here to much to be charged so much to get money. I would look and see if there are any banks that linked between here and there. Thus trying to save a little dough.

Art

Something for future reference I got me a BDO cash card through Forex World in Australia the card cost me initially $8 and to put cash in it and to reload only $8 up to 100,000 pesos at a time. If I lose the card in the Philippines I can get a replacement card at BDO. Withdrawals are free at BDO atms and if I remember right it only cost me 9 or 10 pesos with other atms.

Maybe you can look for something similar when you are back in the UK. I find it a lot cheaper and convenient using their cash card and I can use it in some stores there.

johnboy999

Seems that card is available in BDO branches and available to collect immediately too...... an interesting idea for an emergency back up card

http://www.bdo.com.ph/Personal/ElectronicBanking/CashCard.asp

all the relevant costs are shown there - much cheaper to use than a foreign card with it's 200 php per withdrawal charge