Sign in to follow this  
udonthani

reliable way to get a bank card sent to the Philippines from UK

udonthani

I've lost a card and my bank doesn't do a send card service, so it's being sent to a UK address to be forwarded here.

does anyone know a fast, reliable, safe/secure and ideally not too expensive company that can have it sent to Cebu quickly from the UK?

Jawny

I would suggest FEDEX as a reliable service. I have no problems with them, although the cost is higher than some others. To add to the security, you can possible have delivery made to their offices for pick up there. This eliminates one more step in getting the parcel signed for by a "helpful" neighbor.

udonthani

obviously I thought they would be the best one. How long does it take, Any idea how long it takes, approx how much, and where exactly are their offices in Cebu.

I never spend as much time in Cebu city as I can possibly help. I'll probably want to just come in, pick it up, and then piss off again.

A_Simple_Man

When the same thing happened to me 5 years ago, I could not find a way to get the card sent to me that I felt comfortable with. What I did was open a local bank account, call my bank manager back home and have her wire transfer some money to my new account. It took about 10 days for that first wire transfer to find its way into my bank account but it would be wise for you to have a Philippine bank account as you spend so much time here. When the bank manager asks you for your ACR card be sure to tell the truth, that you are 'working on that' and will bring it in as soon as possible. That used to work.

Jawny

I can't advise, others living in Cebu might. In Leyte, it would take typically a week. However, that was in part because the routing had to go through other ciies first. I would think for Cebu it is a direct link from Manila, the port of entry, to Cebu. Best guess is at the airport, if that is possible.

spooks

HSBC sends mine tdirect to my address here and in 10 years never had an issue. They send it by rapid post and I get it in under 7 working days

Paul

Whippy, FedEx will deliver to wherever you are staying. You can receive a package from them in no more than three days from the west.

FedEx is the ONLY way I would have such an important card shipped to me, anywhere in the world.

bargeman

FedEx UK to Cebu, 4 working days. Cost depends on size of envelope required (weight related).

Contango

lbcexpress will do it cheaper than any of the other carriers, less than half price but prob take a week to deliver.

I recently sent a 1kg parcel to Manila, express from Sydney...Fedex wanted over $100 and that was for the slow service, i imagine UK to Manila would cost similar.

Edited by Contango

Monsoon

What everyone already told you: FED EX, or you will be waiting for your card for months. I am STILL waiting for some forwarded mail I had sent 2 months ago via USPS Priority Mail. NEVER AGAIN! !!!

johnboy999

I sent a parcel vis Fedex from the UK and it was delivered in Cebu 36 hours after sending. I got to admit I was pretty impressed with that!

David_LivinginTalisay

I am trying to remember which International Courier Service, relies on local Philippines Courier for the in-country delivery?

Most Couriers have a Tracking Service, but this Couriers Service informs you it reached the Philippines, then nothing as to where it has gone and what is the delay after that. You end up having to phone the Philippines Courier with a Reference No. I ended up having to go to their Office in F.Ramos St. as they claim a delivery was attempted but they claim nobody there to sign for receipt, so was returned, A repeat delivery attempt would be the next day! One uses a Courier for FAST and reliable service.

Actually Air21, 2Go and LBC do seem to offer a pretty good Philippine Courier service.

I have ordered things from USA and was sent via USPS, as well as on-line ordering from China and it being sent EMS.

The speed of delivery to the Philippines is prompt and efficient (2-3 days typically) and offer Tracking Service.

The problem comes when Phil Post take over for the in-country delivery! It seems to take 10-14 days to get from Manila to Cebu then 2-3 days to get to Talisay Post Office. Then it can sit in Talisay Post office for 2 days and get it delivered or a phone call advising they have a parcel that needs signing for.

Or it can sit there for 2-4 months, with nobody delivering or notifying the recipient, even if a signed for service, including Department of Justice Court Hearing Notice!

HSBC UK sent out a letter to me advising one of my UK Accounts had not been used in over 12 months and if I did not reply in 3 months would be considered a Dormant Account and be closed.

Trouble is Phil Post did not deliver/notify such letter had been received, Nor the repeat send the following 2 months, then the Notice of the Account having been closed, along with other Account in the same Branch (for which no Notice given)! I found this out when I could not log-in to my UK Account one day. On making a Skype call to UK Service Center, I was informed that my Account was closed.

On going to Talisay Post Office, they found such letters from HSBC going back over 3 months!

There was also a payment check from the PDIC, to my wife, Salome, I received an e-mail advising a check had been sent. On inquiring with Talisay Post Office, they denied receiving any such letter from the PDIC, as these as recorded as they are required to be signed for. The PDIC were sure they had been sent, so I insisted on them providing the actual date handed to Phil Post (not the date on the Check, as it has been known for the mailing to be 4-5 weeks after the date on the check)! They provided the Ref No and date, so armed with this, we had Talisay Post Office investigate. According to the Post Marks, Talisay Post Office received it some 3 weeks earlier!

I want to send Salome (Sha-Sha) a China Construction Bank (CCB) ATM Card. But I want a prompt and reliable service, so that means EMS is OK for delivery from China to say Hong Kong as it is next day service usually (along with Macau and Taiwan). It will then get to the Philippines OK, and fairly quickly, but Phil Post for the delivery to Cebu, then Talisay City, is out of the question!

I intend to use EMS to send Sha-Sha's sister in Hong Kong, and she will use LBC office in WorldWide Center, Central to Courier direct to our address in Talisay City with sign-for delivery.

I will go to the China Post branch in Mianyang City, on Monday afternoon, and use the EMS Service to Hong Kong. I expect it to be with LBC in Hong Kong before Thursday.

Mr.T

Fedex, you will receive you card within 96 hours from the UK

I broke my card and had to do the same thing, and my brother went to Thailand a few days after it happened, so he went to my bank and picked up a temporary ATM card and flew to Thailand, then once he was in Thailand he send the ATM card to my Cebu address via UPS, it took more than 10 days. DO NOT use UPS.

Edited by Mr.T

udonthani

depending on the cost of Fed Ex, together with what the bank charges are (it now costs me a whopping 400 pesos to get my hands on 10,000 pesos per ATM withdrawal) it just MIGHT be worthwhile for me, to just have the money sent in blocks of 500 pounds (32,500 pesos) by Western Union, every couple of weeks or so in the weeks to come. I just have to wait until the figures come in, in the next few days to see what is cost effective.

my 'agent' is a family member I trust absolutely, 100%. I can just give them the PIN number of the ATM debit card, they can withdraw the money there, and undergo the slight hassle of having to go down the Western Union office once every two or three weeks on my behalf. That just MIGHT work out cheaper than the cost of having the card sent by Fed Ex, and then getting hit for 400 pesos each time I get 10,00 from an ATM here.

no big panic in the interim while I make up my mind the best course. I have a stock of US dollars that will support me a couple of weeks without needing to economise.

Headshot

FedEx uses Air21 in the Philippines to deliver to an address, which is probably one of the more dependable delivery services.