USD to PHP - a constant thorn in my side

something to consider if you plan on moving to the ph is if you worry about the exchange rate then you probably arnt financially set up to live in the ph.Personally i never pay attention to the rate.If it goes to 20 -1 i will still be here.When i first moved to the ph in 2009 i put money into the bdo bank and the rate was 48-1 and it went down from there and i was concerned but realized what could i do about it?nothing but move to another country if it caused a hardship to my life.

Agreed. There will always be fluctuation in the exchange rate and if your set living expenses can't absorb those without stressing out, you probably ought to head out of Dodge. Yet if you are laying out some serious dough, oh let's say on house construction for example, and that rate keeps dropping while materials keep rising, it's now going to take an extra 25 - 30K US just to make up the difference from not that long ago. Legitimate reason to be a bit pissed IMO.

• Like 1

I've been here over 17 years , lived throught the ups and downs of the exchange rates and still here.Don't take much notice of them in fact,what it is, it is!!!

No good getting stressed out over it because you cannot do much about it anyway.Speculation and expectations will only add to your woes.

As one guy just said, "if it gets to much, get out of Dodge".

smokey

when it becomes more costly to live here then the usa i have to ask myself why ... now if i was a drinker , smoker and part time stud ok there are things more important then money but i am not so its see you later when it hits 35 for me

throttleplate

when it becomes more costly to live here then the usa i have to ask myself why ... now if i was a drinker , smoker and part time stud ok there are things more important then money but i am not so its see you later when it hits 35 for me

Well when the sin tax goes into law supposedly jan 2013 the cheap vices of the ph will be just a memory,maybe only the studs will survive

where abouts have you bought ?

In Angeles city, a sub called Pulu Amsic

• Like 1

http://www.stock-tra...-2012-and-2013/

Looks like a lot of wishful thinking on the part of the author and those with added comments. Seems like the long term trend of a slow, steady decline goes on and on with only the occasional short lived uptick. As my savings for building a new home grow with time, they are simultaneously eroded by the ongoing decline of the exchange rate. Makes me want to throw in the towel sometimes, but I'm addicted to the notion of having a house with a seaview. So until that day arrives, the irritation continues.

um i know this is a stupid suggestion, but if you are worried about your savinbgs being eroded, why dont you buy pesos with them now?

or even buy some peso based bonds. hsbc has loads on offer. u can get 7.5% on san mig bonds just now for example.

um i know this is a stupid suggestion, but if you are worried about your savinbgs being eroded, why dont you buy pesos with them now?

or even buy some peso based bonds. hsbc has loads on offer. u can get 7.5% on san mig bonds just now for example.

Naw, not a stupid suggestion at all, Sperry. Actually I have considered this from time to time. Been through the drill of buying high and waiting for that price to return too many times tho. No market moves without peaks and valleys, but I can't play the waiting game with my available cash. I have read other articles indicating we're (US) nearing bottom with the declining exchange rate - who knows? Admittedly, it's much easier to sit back and bitch about it.

smokey

Naw, not a stupid suggestion at all, Sperry. Actually I have considered this from time to time. Been through the drill of buying high and waiting for that price to return too many times tho. No market moves without peaks and valleys, but I can't play the waiting game with my available cash. I have read other articles indicating we're (US) nearing bottom with the declining exchange rate - who knows? Admittedly, it's much easier to sit back and bitch about it.

i agree its like a game save save save invest and when you old fart and not able to wipe your own ass you will be rich and then you die and everyone will say what a great man you were as they look over the newest model of cars..

what drives me crazy is the reasons for the strong peso i just dont see it on the streets all this booming economy they keep talking about....

Me sentiments exactly... it surely isnt' the efficient logistics and stable clean form of governance attracting foreign investment.....

i agree its like a game save save save invest and when you old fart and not able to wipe your own ass you will be rich and then you die and everyone will say what a great man you were as they look over the newest model of cars..

Lovely thought.

smokey

Lovely thought.

my mother was a saver , drove the cheapest car possible ,, did not ever get air con in the car ,, filled her own water at them water stations.. passed away my 3 sisters,,,, one picked up a new caddy,, one a lexus and the other a Honda passport,,, all within 6 months of her passing ...

my mother was a saver , drove the cheapest car possible ,, did not ever get air con in the car ,, filled her own water at them water stations.. passed away my 3 sisters,,,, one picked up a new caddy,, one a lexus and the other a Honda passport,,, all within 6 months of her passing ...

Sorry you're speaking from personal experience. Unfortunately money can bring out the worst in people, especially if it isn't acquired through hard work and saving.

smokey

i am spending my money and leaving this world as close to broke as i can we gave each child an education so now they have the tools to make their own way its my turn to enjoy...