Sign in to follow this  
Rocketman

I'm heading to Davao - Info?

Rocketman

I'm going to Davao on Wednesday for 5 days. Will be staying at Green Windows hotel - new and about P1400. Any other ideas for a place to stay in that price range and is there anything I shouldn't miss while I'm there (restaurants, parks, tourist stuff)? I visited a few years back and I suppose I missed seeing how clean the place is. I've read about that, but the city didn't look much better than Cebu, tho smaller. Maybe I didn't go to the right places?

Kodiak570

People's Park, Abreeza (similar to Ayala), Crocodile Park, Philippine Eagle Sanctuary, Pearl Farm (Samal Island), Rizal and Torres (nightlife food, bars, and clubs), and Matina Town Square. I'm sure I am missing something but that will get you started. Davao is pretty spread out from one end of town to the other. Plan on extra time in taxis.

• Like 1

Jim Sibbick

Are you sure you went to Davao City?

Less rubbish was the first thing I noticed.

Also, It is very spread out and certainly bigger than Cebu City although probably not bigger than Metro Cebu

Rocketman

Thanks for the tips Kodiak! Jim - I think it was just the area where I stayed. I was taken around by a friend I had met there and didn't see the whole city. I DID notice the smoking area at the airport way away from the terminal! I didn't think I was in the RP anymore! I'm looking forward to this visit to check it out as a possible place to live if I get bored with Cebu.

shadow

The land area of Davao is massive, it is considered (land wise) the largest city in the Philippines, although Puerto Princessa is also making a claim to same.

Need to get there myself in the upcoming weeks.

Larry in Dumaguete

ron100

hi i just been to davao and loved it there ,i stay at MY HOTEL , in san pedro st ,but there seem to be a lota new hotels going up and just opened ,torries st is dead dead now for night life, rizal st in habana compound seemed to be busy most nights,

on samal, spent most days at paradise resort , the new malls have some nice places to eat but depends what time u go as there as been no planning on the info structure to get there and back so can be a lota traffic at peak times,i think the ecoland sm is the best to go to and has some new places to eat ,maybe eden resort is a place to go as well about 1/2 hrs to get there ,can stay the night.or just take jeepny then motor bike up the hill

smokey

Duterte: P5M reward up for carnap leader’s head

looks like crime is getting cleaned up ... off with the head ?

passingby

Recommend MY HOTEL in the center of a lot of things and the small restaurant is good.

Rocketman

Duterte: P5M reward up for carnap leader’s head

looks like crime is getting cleaned up ... off with the head ?

My friend in Davao says that story is b.s. but I'll bet there's some truth to it. How could it be totally made-up?

smokey

My friend in Davao says that story is b.s. but I'll bet there's some truth to it. How could it be totally made-up?

well there is a story in the sun star with him in the picture so i think its true

Rocketman

well there is a story in the sun star with him in the picture so i think its true

Yeah, that's where I saw it too. I'll do some investigating while I'm there. The article looked believable!

hookedtothenet

5m for the Head of the Head of the car nappers! LOL!

Sounds like the middle ages..... LOL!

USMC-Retired

Stay away from anyone named Ian.

• Like 2

A_Simple_Man

Funny how it seems legal for the mayor to go on line looking for head but it is illegal to go on line looking for tail

towboat72

if its in the sun star then it has to be true --RIGHT!!!!!!

• Like 1

Rocketman

Back from my trip to Davao and what a pleasant surprise. Compared to Cebu, it's a very clean and uncrowded city. I'm a smoker and it's tough for smokers there. I respect that - if I didn't smoke, I wouldn't want to be smelling others' smoke. And.... I smoked a lot less. I see that if I lived there, I'd have to buy a car since the city is large (read it is the largest city in the RP in land size). Taxis cost quite a bit to get around. The streets were much wider and cars go faster. You can actually walk on most of the sidewalks! I saw few foreigners in the places I went and I like that too. It seemed like a very livable city and a place I may go if I tire of Cebu City. It made me wonder: if Davao can clean up, why can't Cebu? Yeah, Cebu is much more crowded in a smaller land area, but the politicians could instill some pride and rules in cleaning up the place. It would take time, but it can be done!

• Like 1

Headshot

It made me wonder: if Davao can clean up, why can't Cebu?

It all boils down to political will.

• Like 2

m60man

5m for the Head of the Head of the car nappers! LOL!

Sounds like the middle ages..... LOL!

We used to hang horse thieves till the early 1900's.............by the neck until your dead, dead ,dead! LOL. If it make our place safer........and if nothing else it is a good deterrent to those thinking about it! I'm all for it!

• Like 3

littlePP

We used to hang horse thieves till the early 1900's.............by the neck until your dead, dead ,dead! LOL. If it make our place safer........and if nothing else it is a good deterrent to those thinking about it! I'm all for it!

• Like 1

Rocketman

Ahhhhhhhhh, I miss COUNTRY!!!!