Say a fellow visit the RP and meets a great gal. Being cautious he'd like her to come stay with him for a couple years before pulling the trigger.

Can he sponsor her for a a student visa and send her to college while they have more time together?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BFHammer

• smokey

• Monsoon

• throttleplate

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bringing her over just to test the water over a year or two with no firm commitment could end up with her being swept away by a teacher, or a fellow student at the college she will be spending a lot o

so you want a few years to try out the milk before you commit... ha ha ha ha ...

just be selective and spend time writing and getting to know each other

Wally Greene

Hi BFHammer

No you can not sponsor her for a Student Visa. The School, Scholarship, herself and her parents will need to show sufficient income to support her and pay for school and living expenses. If you try. She most likely will be denied. USEM and USCIS will see that as a red flag. It has been tried many times before and failed!!

Qualifying for a Student Visa

The Immigration and National Act is very specific with regard to the requirements which must be met by applicants to qualify for the student visa. The consular officer will determine whether you qualify for the visa. Applicants must demonstrate that they properly meet student visa requirements including:

• Acceptance at a school;
  • Possess sufficient funds to pursue the proposed course of study;
  • Preparation for the course of study; and
  • Intend to leave the United States upon completion of the course of study

Possess sufficient funds to pursue the proposed course of study;

Financial evidence that shows you or your parents who are sponsoring you has sufficient funds to cover your tuition and living expenses during the period of your intended study. For example, if you or your sponsor is a salaried employee, please bring income tax documents and original bank books and/or statements. If you or your sponsor owns a business, please bring business registration, licenses, etc., and tax documents, as well as original bank books and/or statements.

How to prove that I have sufficient funds to support my study?

A consulate officer will look at your documents during the interview and determine whether you have enough money for self-support. The best evidence is financial aids offered by the school, such as fellowships, scholarships, teaching/research assistant ships and tuition waivers. The type and amount of the aid is indicated on Form I-20.

If you do not receive financial assistance, or if it is insufficient, you need to present other materials such as recent bank statements and income verification. Be prepared to explain the sources and availability of the funds during the visa interview. It is never a good idea to have an influx of new money, or a large sum, deposited into your bank account a few days before the statement is issued. The officer will certainly suspect they are borrowed to inflate your savings.

U.S. consulates are well aware of the economy and history of local regions. They understand the fact that many working families in countries like China or India do not have enough funds to support a full-time student to live and study in the United States. So some form of school financial aid is almost necessary in many cases. However, the situation has changed lately due to the economic growth in these countries and many students are able to obtain F-1 visas without school assistance.

Intend to leave the United States upon completion of the course of study

When you enter the United States on a student visa, you will usually be admitted for the duration of your student status. That means you may stay as long as you are a full time student, even if the F-1 visa in your passport expires while you are in the United States. For a student who has completed the course of studies shown on the I-20, and any authorized practical training, the student is allowed the following additional time in the U.S. before departure:

• F-1 student - An additional 60 days, to prepare for departure from the U.S. or to transfer to another school.

F-1: Student Visa

http://immigrationroad.com/visa/f1-student.php

How to Marry a Person With a F1 Visa

http://www.ehow.com/how_5886516_marry-person-f1-visa.html

SkyMan

I have zero student visa experience but I would guess the firstquestion would be whether she can get accepted at a University there and since it's October I imagine you're talking aboput next year. I don't think there's any way he can bring her over except in regards to footing her bills. I think she'll have to apply and then if asked how she is going to pay her bills, he can sign up as her sponsor. I wouldn't count on it though.

to put it bluntly not a chance in the world...sure we have so many here who quote what they have been told...many from an experience from previous times....you gotta understand the rules change here by the day if not by the hour n by whom you talk to...fact is....getting entry into us, oz or any other first world country totally depends on info not wriiten in the guidelines...

Headshot

I seriously doubt that you can get this scheme past the State Department and the US Embassy in Manila. The chance of success is so miniscule that she might as well be applying for a tourist visa...which is next to impossible for a single Filipina to get. Why don't you just spend time with her here in the Philippines if you want to get to know her better. Even if it's only three or four months a year for two or three years, you will get a pretty good feel for how things really are. That way...not only the young lady, but also her family, will show themselves for who they really are. You would be much better off seeing how she is here than there. Don't worry about her changing after she gets to the US. If you spend enough time with her, she (or somebody in her family or friends) will reveal her morals and ambitions to you. As long as you keep your eyes open, then you should be fine. If all she wants is for you to get her to the US, then things are going to go south fairly quickly.

Edited by Headshot

I can't spare months away yet, my company would fall apart. The same thing with bringing a girl for 90 days if Im there 90-120 days a year most can put up a good act or just simply be on their best behavior for that short of a time period. Plus if I'm going to marry a gal I'd need to know she could handle working with me in my company or at least understand I don't do a 9-5 cubicle drone job.

shadow

Say a fellow visit the RP and meets a great gal. Being cautious he'd like her to come stay with him for a couple years before pulling the trigger.

Can he sponsor her for a a student visa and send her to college while they have more time together?

Well it is doable, but it will not be easy. Perhaps if you think real hard you will remember that the persons who flew the planes into the towers on 9/11 arrived in the US on a student visa? Well the result is..., do I need to tell you the result?

First you must find a school that will not only accept her, but will petition her. Yes, the school must petition her. She must be sponsored by someone willing to sign affidavit of support, and be willing and able to pay up front for the tuition, processing fees etc...

Then she must show that she is a good student (past school records) and a good candidate for the course in question, and be able to show she has every reason to return to the Philippines when said schooling is done, and no reason whatsoever to want to stay in the USA.

Best figure on expenses in excess of $10,000, and there is no guarantee whatsoever that she will be granted a visa.

Need I go on?

Larry in Dumaguete

smokey

so you want a few years to try out the milk before you commit... ha ha ha ha ...

• Like 2

I go for that with any gal foreign or domestic. Probably why I've only been close to being married 4 times and never married. I dislike the idea of even marrying these days but that limits it to finding a rare American girl worth keeping or a gal from western europe who can travel and live here without being married.

Maybe I should just go celibate for a couple years and only focus on making cash to accelerate my early retirement. Or just vacation there for fun instead of seriously looking.

Edited by BFHammer
  • Like 1
  • Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

Easily done if you change country of interest. . Go after girls from Pakistan, Bangladesh or Iran. She will be a shoe in. Since the curent administration professes most Muslims are peace loving. Aparently your average god fearing Filipina is a grave threat to national security.

Edited by Monsoon
  • Like 1
  • Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

Best figure on expenses in excess of $10,000, and there is no guarantee whatsoever that she will be granted a visa.

Need I go on?

Larry in Dumaguete

Well, I Think $10k is quite shy.. Move the decimal point to the right one place and then MAYBE. I know you were speaking about "expenses" but lets talk about minimum liquid available to make it happen.

Not to mention, she should be a scholar. Your typical Philipino public school education wont cut it. Perhaps in the language department they will blow it away, but not in maths and sciences. By the way, being able to converse in english and fake an accent doesnt mean you can pass the tests that big brother wants thesepeople to pass. don't believe me? Look up IELTS testing Philippines (and thats not even American English)..

Edited by Monsoon

Well it sounded good in theory. I had also considered only dating higher educated girls then sponsor them through my company. The drawback there is if the crap hits the fan it could be more expensive than a divorce with a prenup as she could potentially demand "back pay" at prevailing wages for the time she spent here.

Though cost wise the student visa would still be cheaper than flights and hotels for 3 years. A full year at the community college here is only 4k.

SkyMan
A full year at the community college here is only 4k.
Would a CC even qualify? I would think it would have to be a 4 year program.

Would a CC even qualify? I would think it would have to be a 4 year program.

It should, actually the one I was thinking of has the highest ranked math department in the state. Generals at the CC then move to the 4 year to save a ton of coin.

shadow

Well it sounded good in theory. I had also considered only dating higher educated girls then sponsor them through my company. The drawback there is if the crap hits the fan it could be more expensive than a divorce with a prenup as she could potentially demand "back pay" at prevailing wages for the time she spent here.

Though cost wise the student visa would still be cheaper than flights and hotels for 3 years. A full year at the community college here is only 4k.

The school must be SEVP certified (Student exchange visitor program). I highly doubt there are many CCs which qualify.

Larry in Dumaguete