$330,000 found in Japan vacant house demolition

smokey

smokey

$330,000 found in Japan vacant house demolition

afp4.gifAFP News – 10 hours ago

•  

{C}

Construction workers dismantling a vacant house in rural Japan discovered $330,000 cash stuffed in a tin box underneath the living room floor, press reports said Wednesday.

The house, in a farming town on the northern island of Hokkaido, had been empty since its elderly male owner died two years ago, the reports said.

The cash -- about 2,600 notes each worth 10,000 yen ($127) bundled together or put in envelopes -- will be handed over to the dead man's relatives on the main Japanese island of Honshu, the reports said.

"Because the cash was discovered at an individual's house, it is clear whose money it is," a spokesman for the local police station said by telephone. "So we don't treat it as a lost-and-found case

Kodiak570

Maybe the two Texas ladies made a quick stop over before Manila to drop off some excess funds.

A_Simple_Man

Strange.

Although the house is vacant, someone must own the property. Wouldn't the property owner lay a claim on whatever is on the property?

Strange.

Although the house is vacant, someone must own the property. Wouldn't the property owner lay a claim on whatever is on the property?

>>>> its elderly male owner died two years ago

KonGC

A_Simple_Man

Property is always owned by someone Kenny, When one owner dies another steps up. If know heirs then the state perhaps. After 2 years someone is definitely the owner, not a dead guy.

Skywalker

in the US maybe, but this is Japan.

So it's owned by a Japanese! Case solved.

Property is always owned by someone Kenny, When one owner dies another steps up. If know heirs then the state perhaps. After 2 years someone is definitely the owner, not a dead guy.

>>> handed over to the dead man's relatives

The post is still self explanatory.

KonGC

Expect the dead man's relatives to get a knock at the door by the tax man

Inheritance tax is very high in Japan and they might be asked to pay penalties as well

Even foreigners who reside in Japan for over 5 years have to pay it on any inheritance from overseas relatives

Even foreigners who reside in Japan for over 5 years have to pay it on any inheritance from overseas relatives

So if i'm in Japan and my father dies back in Europe and I inherit his house, i'll have to pay taxes to Japan?

smokey

Haha that's a joke right. They can kiss my ass.

your going to need a lot more money to get anyone to kiss your ass in japan...