Sign in to follow this  
Mike S

Give your best advise for taking a long flight

sandwindstars

Sometimes it depends on the airlines. I prefer breaking it up so I have been flying JAL west coast to Tokyo then Manila. Sometimes if there is not enough time for your connection, they will give you a Hotel Nikko Narita and fly next day. On JAL, best thing I like is the games in their inflight entertainment. Loads of games to while the time away from solitaire to sudoku etc. As most say, aisle seat, walk around and stand up now and then, drink lots of fluid (non alcoholic), but usually I get a bottle of red which pushes me to sleep for a few hours. Loose clothing, or wear layers so you can strip off when you get off the plane. And loose foot wear, slip ons, or sandals. Take off your shoes on board but mind you, putting them back on will be a bitch since your feet would have swelled.

Ozepete

I would like to sleep when flying, but I don't because when I wake up everyone on board glares at me!!!snap.gif

Why, haven't they heard some decent snoring before???

SkyMan

I get on the plane and have a couple stiff drinks. When they give me my dinner I also take:

http://www.ambiencr.com/

And then they wake me up for breakfast. It's a good way to go.

SkyMan

Bring a bag of edible dried fish or dried squid ,

Having trouble imagining me doing that.

broden

I would like to sleep when flying, but I don't because when I wake up everyone on board glares at me!!!snap.gif

Why, haven't they heard some decent snoring before???

it;s not the snoring it's the projectile farting

Cary

If you have long legs like me, don't sit next to the window or a middle seat.

smidsy

Nictorette patches.

I never drink on a plane, cause it makes my ciggy cravings drive me crazy !

MP3 player, Sony PSP, Good book, Magazine, laptop.

Basically as many different forms of portable entertainment you can think of, even if you dont think you'll use it, just to have options, options help pass the time.

Also, get up and walk around the plane once an hour, even if you dont feel like it.

However, nothing beats sleeping to pass the time, but I cant sleep on a plane, and cause I cant smoke, its a minor form of prolonged torture !

Edited by smidsy

JamesMusslewhite

Never stop flapping your wings. :P

digiteye

Alcohol is a diuretic, therefore it increases the risk of blood clotting on long haul flights. If you are prone to have deep vein thrombosis, do NOT drink alcohol.

Unfortunately I had 2x DVT and once a related pulmonary embolia - none of them happened related to a flight - funny enough a 3 hours car drive triggered it.

I take warfarin ever since which for me is a solution even while I fly.

Not bad to follow these rules:

1. no alcohol

2. plenty of liquid (juices, mineral water) - one has to drink MUCH MORE than it is offered by the flight attendants! Bug them, squeeze as much drink as you can.

3. Exercise: twist, turn, lift and whatever your feet, move your legs, stretch, walk around, squat and stand up. Tighten and release your butt muscle.

Depending on the schedule of your flight, try to sleep. Take melatonin (you can buy as food supplement) tablet before take off. Cover your head with the blanket given and listen to some boring music. That usually does the trick.

If you can, try to avoid seats in the front, this is where usually families with screaming babies will be placed.

Dont wear belt, use slippers for the flight, easy to get rid of it then put it back on.

Tony B

I always have one or two glasses of wine with my meal, it helps me relax and makes me sleepy. Others have told you to avoid alcohol. It's really up to you.

Some other tips:

Bring an empty water bottle so you can re-fill it yourself during the flight (instead of depending on the waitress to bring you water).

Get yourself some ear plugs and some good eye shades if you want to sleep.

Get a Neck Pillow (get a good quality one, it makes a big difference), it will help when trying to sleep sitting up.

Get some sleeping socks...they'll keep your feet warm and you can change back to your own (fresh) socks when you land.

Best of all....buy yourself a business class or first class ticket and get a flat-bed seat. If you can afford it, it's the only way to travel.

sperry

Log on to seat guru to make sure you get a decent seat. Pay particular attention to avoiding seats that have entertainment boxes under the seat in front

if u travel by yourself and can choose ur seat online, look for a three seater where one is already occupied. There's a better chance the seat beside you will remain free.

Keep your eyes peeled for a row of empty seats, and think about "claiming" it even before take off.

Pray you dont end up beside a slob. On the other hand, when I flew recently from Cebu to HK, I was beside an old Asian gentleman who claimed to have shagged 10000 women in his life. One of the most amusing people I have ever met in my life.

None of this applies to business of course, but Ive never paid for that, and never been upgraded.

Chas

I can second flying Cathay Pacific. The new reclining seats in economy were good and they reclined within the seat space so you did not get the headrest of the seat in front inches from your face if the person in front reclined, but you want to sit up.

Also sit next to Gary (surname unknown) from Bantayan Island who was entertaining and politely answered all my questions about moving to the Philippines on the long leg of the flight from HK to London. Sorry Gary, still feel guilty about that, but thanks for the useful info, I owe you more than a few beers. On the short leg Cebu to HK he sat next to two young partying Danish girls. He must have done something wrong to end up next to me biggrin_01.gif

My coming trip is Quatar Airways via Doha so I break the flight into two 8 hour legs instead of 12 and 4.

Any merit if you are on the East Coast of the States flying East e.g. New York, London, Doha, Cebu to break the flights up into smaller chunks??? Havn't looked at a map so possibly stupid idea.

digiteye

My coming trip is Quatar Airways via Doha so I break the flight into two 8 hour legs instead of 12 and 4

Apparently Qatar has bad air filter - I had pneumonia after each flight with them... :) Never with other airlines.

They are also very stingy with luggage weight, they measure it by the grams the bloody bastards.

The seats ar very uncomfortable and if you want to rest a little in Doha, you must pay 40 bucks for VIP lounge, the normal one sucks.

I fly Emirates if I can.

Cebuned

Drink alot of water and don't just sit in your seat all flight. Get up every hour and walk aroud the plane. Go to the back area and stretch out....It helps, trust me...

Chas

My coming trip is Quatar Airways via Doha so I break the flight into two 8 hour legs instead of 12 and 4

Apparently Qatar has bad air filter - I had pneumonia after each flight with them... :( Never with other airlines.

They are also very stingy with luggage weight, they measure it by the grams the bloody bastards.

The seats ar very uncomfortable and if you want to rest a little in Doha, you must pay 40 bucks for VIP lounge, the normal one sucks.

I fly Emirates if I can.

Thanks for the warning. I will use the nasal sprays and go prepared with cold cure. They are cheap so I suppose I should not expect much. Also the terminals at Doha are in transition so I fully expect to lose my luggage.