Sign in to follow this  
Mike S

Give your best advise for taking a long flight

KID

I usually dont wash my feet for a couple of days before I fly-- then take off my shoes--people transfer out of your row like you have STINKY FEET :D-- then ya have it all to youself :thumbsup:

mattwilkie
I usually dont wash my feet for a couple of days before I fly-- then take off my shoes--people transfer out of your row like you have STINKY FEET :D-- then ya have it all to youself :thumbsup:

Post yourself TNT in a crate cheaper and can put a sofa in there with u ;-) advise a sleeping bag and a lunch box 2.

mattwilkie

Although generally on return flights I have always had the 2 seats next to me empty allowing me to lay down although wearing the lap belt at the same time can be a bit awkward.. Why is it empty on the way back surely there arent that many kidnappings..lol

tom_shor
Bring a bag of edible dried fish or dried squid , you can get them at any Asian grocery store . If you don't like the person next to you, open the fish or squid bag and eat some, that person will find a new seat fast.

Unless it is a Filipino then you will have to share it. Yum Yum :D:rolleyes:

tom_shor
Although generally on return flights I have always had the 2 seats next to me empty allowing me to lay down although wearing the lap belt at the same time can be a bit awkward.. Why is it empty on the way back surely there arent that many kidnappings..lol

Because nobody wants to leave :D:rolleyes:

Mik

Changing planes in Tokyo breaks up the trip in more manageable bits: MNL to NRT 4 hours or so, NRT to West Coast U.S. about 10 hours. For me, "no alcohol" is NOT an option. I bring along plenty of 5 dollar bills to buy drinks with. Ask for the Glen Livet scotch on ice. Just alternate each alcoholic drink with a cup of water so you stay hydrated and bring aspirin or Tylenol just in case. Get an aisle seat and get up and walk around and stretch every hour. When seated, wear your earplugs and take off your shoes. Bring a book of short stories to read. You can finish one story and then watch some video and then go back and read another story.

Mike in Cebu

(not a frequent flyer thank God)

MrPlow42

Most of my favorite tips have already been mentioned, here are the ones that have not.

Use saline nasal spray every hour to keep nasal passages from drying out. I've heard that dry passages make it easier to get infections.

Mp3 player with audio books makes the time go by. If you slelect the book carefully, it can also induce sleep.

When flying west with a near midnight starting time I fall asleep sleep naturally, that is, no alcohol or sleeping pills. I wake up after 3 or 4 hours, which isn't anywhere near enough. Then I take a sleep aid (1/2 a drammamine works for me) and get another 4.

Stop at an empty gate before you get to your gate. Remove one shoe, attach large ace bandage to your ankle. Put on slipper. Hobble to your gate. When they make the first call for boarding, hobble forward and they'll let you pass.

bandage.jpg

Markham

I am a little surprised no one has mentioned measures to counter DVT - Deep Vein Thrombosis - which is a potential killer. I have three tips but the first comes with a caveat - I am not medically-qualified and you should consult your own medical practitioner.

1. Take one aspirin 24 hours, 8 hours and 1 hour before a long-haul flight. A further aspirin can be taken mid-flight if the flight is longer than 6 hours. This will help to thin your blood and thus help prevent any clots from forming. But, to repeat, consult your doctor first, particularly if you take other medication.
  2. Wear compression stockings: these are tight, knee-length stockings worn in place of socks/pantyhose/stockings and are available for men and women (but I've not seen them sold here in the Philippines). The tightness apparently stimulates blood flow through your lower leg which is where most DVTs are formed. I wear them for all flights and long journeys (car, bus etc) where leg movement is restricted.
  3. Regularly exercise your lower legs during the flight. Most in-flight magazines will have a section detailing in-seat exercises you can perform without disturbing others.

Mark

love

I have got a flu shot this year. I always get a cold form the flight. I have seen some people wearing masks on my trips to China. I am not a germ freak but my time is very valuable and if I can avoid being sick a few days it might be worth it to do that. I bring a neck pillow and a small round pillow too. I try to get an emergency exit seat. Stretch periodically do squats, lunges etc.

Edited by love

bouncing55

i force myself not to sleep for 24 hours before my flight, and i usually sleep for most of the flight from ny to hk , individuals results may vary, :biggrin_01:

Balay

Right after the first meal I take ONE prescription narcotic pain reliever ( percoset, oxycotin, percodan, valium ) and a glass of red wine. That usually will knock me out until the plane is landed and taxing on the runway. I wake up feel very refreshed and I was even asked a few times by the people sitting next to me what my secret was.

michael52
OK ... boys and girls .... give your best advise for taking these long flights to the Phils ....... what to take with you on the plane ....... how to pass your time on the flight ...... in other words .... what to do and not to do .......

If this turns out good enough we could pin this topic for all those planning their first trip to overseas ...... I know with all the experiences you folks have that this could be a very valuable thread ..........

After my arival to Cebu in April I am planning on writing a trip report of my experiences both good and bad ....... I suppose I could write about some of the bad right now but I am going to reserve that until I see if will turn out better than expected .....

So post on ladies and gentleman ....... lets read what you got .......

my last flight to cebu from vancouver bc gave me a blood clot in my left leg that i was totally unaware of until 2 weeks later in the usa when i returned. i did not get up and walk around or take aspirin on the plane but you can sure bet that i will next time. the event was life-threatening and i was required to be admitted to the hospital for ultrasound. my hands and feet had swollen, the symptoms told me something was wrong. i had a very normal and somewhat boring massage before leaving mindinao and am convinced that it may have saved my life because the blood clot disolved and required no operative procedure. the doctor was really sharp. soon as i indicated i had recently flown to cebu and did not know if that had anything to do with it, she sent me to the er. what a trip.

loosehead

In Australia there is an over the counter medicine called Cartia which contains asprin and is designed to combat DVT. It thins your blood. You start taking it a week before you fly and keep taking it until a week after the flight.

sork

Pills, but don't overdo it. I took too many from Lima to Dallas and ended up slobbering on an old lady next to me. Then we went through a bad storm and people looked like they would scream... I woke up for about 20 seconds and calmly thought I would die, then went back to sleep.

samatm
For me, "no alcohol" is NOT an option. I bring along plenty of 5 dollar bills to buy drinks with. Ask for the Glen Livet scotch on ice. Just alternate each alcoholic drink with a cup of water so you stay hydrated and bring aspirin or Tylenol just in case.

Mike in Cebu

(not a frequent flyer thank God)

Mike , Which airline do you fly that charges 5 bucks a drink? Is it a US carrier? I suggest the money you could save with free drinks on an Asian carrier would more than make up any price savings you get on a budget flight that charges for drinks. I flew Continental MNL - Guam - HNL - Hou

Drinks were free to MNL to GUAM but they started charging from GUAM to HNL - HOU. I even had a granny Flight Attendant with an attitude snap at me when I pulled out my NAIA purchased San Mig and asked for a cup of ice (lol)---- I was thinking to myself, Why do i put up with this.? when the trip is brutal enough...and have never flown them since.

I like to catch up on movies when i do long haul flights...Cathay has a huge assortment on its long haul flights....oldies, indie, current hits, ...

Get an Aisle seat.. drink lots of water ... get up and go pee and exercise between movies.