Sign in to follow this  
Mike S

Give your best advise for taking a long flight

Bob Ward
I think the rear wheels touch down first,

In most successful landings, but there are exceptions! We better get on topic or the mods will eat us alive!

Regarding the Tylenol PM and the acetometaphine issue, I always get a headache and a buttache on 12-16 hour flights! LOL

Lee

I also take Tylenol PM for the aches and pains and to help get some sleep on long flight and I also make sure to take larger doses of vitamin E than I normally take daily, both before and during the flight to make sure the blood keeps flowing.

I am told that it may also be a good idea to take aspirin before a flight for the same reason, but since I am allergic to aspirin, I have to rely on Vitamin E, and since I am not a doctor, everyone should consult their own doctors or make their own decisions before taking any medicines or vitamins. :D

Just my two centavos.

Alan S
so who gets there first, the people over the wheels or the people in first class?

The people in first and business class usually get off first, and that is all that matters.

On some/most flights you also get full Silver Service with proper knives, not those nasty plastic things.

ologist

I am too opinionated on the topic to answer properly, so I won't bother trying. I will be forward about it and give you all I've got. First, forget any of the over the counter sleep remedies and go for the Equate brand (at WalMart) Allergy Tablets. They say right on the front "diphenhydramine hydrochloride 25mg" and one or two of those will do you. They cost a fraction of anything else out there and do the same thing.

Drink, and drink, and drink. I can't emphasize enough how dry the air is and how damaging that is to nasal passages, lungs, and to your circulatory system. Yes, becoming dehydrated makes your heart work way too hard because your blood loses its viscosity and with every drop of water that the dry air sucks out of you the blood gets closer to jello. Why be so hard on your poor heart, especially if you are overweight to begin with (as I am)??? Salty snacks are also good in this case. Forget your blood pressure for once- it will be much harder on your body to be dehydrated than to eat some salt.

There is a growing body of evidence that suggests that the elevated levels of ozone in the cabin of a jetliner is responsible for all of the post-travel sicknesses, and NOT being in close proximity to so many germ-bearing people! Bring a small package of baby wipes with you- or whatever they are called- same same- wet naps. Regularly (every 90 minutes while you are awake) wipe your exposed skin. Cover your neck, arms, face, upper chest, hands and forearms. The ozone adheres to the oil in your skin and this will prevent any ill effects. Also, it will not hurt to get rid of the germs. Don't hesitate to offer to wipe down your neighbor's cleavage. It's a public health concern, after all.

Most people do not snoop in airliner bathrooms. I don't know why. There are often toothpaste and toothbrushes in there, and some airlines have mouthwash and other toiletries. It is in compartments somewhere in the latrine- dig around. The door is locked. What can they do to you? Take your time. Have you ever noticed how there is never a line at the john mid-flight? Go make yourself useful! Use those wetnaps on your crotch. Really. Take your shirt off and wash your pits with them. You will feel like a million bucks afterward- especially if you used the toothpaste and toothbrush that you found in one of the drawers. When I fly back to the states I don't hesitate to do this twice.

Make sure you use seatguru.com in order to get the best seat. Don't assume that you know all bulkhead seats are good. Some are terrible. Same with exit rows. Go to the site and do the research. Also, don't assume that you can't reserve your seat by phone! Many airlines will let you if you tell them you have a leg injury. Make it a tendon issue that can't be detected. I have a hard enough time in life lugging around an extra 70 pounds, no need to suffer with a bad seat for 15 hours.

I agree wholeheartedly with taking extra vitamins. If you work hard to hydrate (drink tons) you will piss some out too. So get some salt for an electrolyte, but be aware that you are losing vitamins in all that urine. Plenty of "C" is a good idea, or that plus a multi. Valium or Xanax is your call.

I also make it a point to do at least a 30-45 minute walk before and after the flight no matter what. Again, it's your call but there are a lot of circulation issues at stake and you don't want to exacerbate any pre-existing conditions or develop any new ones. Get that blood moving. Did we all say no alcohol? No alcohol! The plus-size gal from the other thread will give you a tour and sell you some reefer though once you get here. :D

• Like 1

tom_shor

All good advice.

I always get an asile seat. makes it easier to get up and move around.

I also take some snacks with me in my carry on. I have sometimes found that the airline food is completly ineatable to me. 15 hours is a really long time if you can't eat at all.

Green tea is good for settling your stomach. Orange juice and water. I don't care for carbinated drinks or alcohol when I fly.

Edited by tom_shor

Mike S

Wow you folks are out doing yourselves ... some excellent information .... and as promised I have pinned the information for all those bent on taking their first international flight ....... for those of us that have never done it ..it WILL make the trip a lot easier .........

I may have some information to add ........ I just got done ordering an assortment of interesting traveling items and will post some pictures here

first a ticket .. passport and personal ID holder ..... to make security checks easier

post-4-1204041927.jpg

next is a neat little devise that keeps your wallet secure

post-4-1204041987.jpg

and a washable non metallic security pouch to hide in your waist band

post-4-1204042084.jpg

official travel size liquid containers

post-4-1204042150.jpg

and lastly a couple of luggage tags made to be more visible (yea I know everyone will have them ...LOL)

post-4-1204042247.jpg

Sorry but that is all I can add for the moment ......... also plan on using the following which I already have ...... noise-cancelling earphones ...... inflatable pillow (against the advise of others) ..... eye mask and something to make me sleep .......

Keep'um coming your doing a great job THANKS

Alan S

Someone mentioned the "freebies" one can find in the toilet compartment.

As soon as you can, get in there and do a raid.

Depending upon the airline, you can find all sorts of goodies.

Toothbrush and paste, mini soaps, deoderant, eye covers, ear plugs, even, sometimes, a nice little bag full of all those goodies and more.

The trouble is that there are so few of them. Perhaps a couple of dozen in a plane that seats 400.

THAT is why I said, "soon".

Fly often enough and you can build up quite a nice collection. lol

Cebuned

I always go to the DR. before my flights and make sure my meds are all full and have enough for a 2 month stay, even if only going for a month.

Next, I ask him to slip me a few sleeping pills, to help with the long leg of my flights, just enough for there and back.....Flying from JFK is a real &^%$$&&*$#$

I enjoy the flight from East coast to West coast, but the leg from the West into either HK or Japan used to really suck, and I was never one to sleep easily on planes....Now I just knock myself out....LOL

Biggest suggestion I can make, make sure to have a set of hot weather clothes to get off the plane in......I'm always amazed at that first smack of hot air when leaving the airport..

My first trip, I left JFK in the snow, and had on a sports type warm-up suit on, when I arrived in Mactan, I almost dropped dead from the heat...LMAO.....

I"m sure I smelled nice and rip also.....Can you say American BALUT..... :D

Cebuned
Someone mentioned the "freebies" one can find in the toilet compartment.

As soon as you can, get in there and do a raid.

Depending upon the airline, you can find all sorts of goodies.

Toothbrush and paste, mini soaps, deoderant, eye covers, ear plugs, even, sometimes, a nice little bag full of all those goodies and more.

The trouble is that there are so few of them. Perhaps a couple of dozen in a plane that seats 400.

THAT is why I said, "soon".

Fly often enough and you can build up quite a nice collection. lol

Alan, you forgot my favorite, those cozzy little socks......LMAO :D

T.S.

Don't fly on Northwest is my advice. They really need to upgrade their planes.

Lee

Don't forget to join the frequent flyer program before you fly and be sure to tell the airline your number when you confirm your flights so you get credit for those flight. Long flights get you big mileage rewards.

We get free upgrades on PAL and also free (except for the taxes) flights within the Philippines and the use of the lounges at LAX and Manila before our flights turns out to be a big plus to make the whole trip more enjoyable.

The lounges provide comfortable seats, free food, free soft drinks or bottled water, free booze, newspapers and magazines to read, clean CR's and large screen TV's, etc. and in Manila those metal benches can be a real killer, so the soft seats in the lounge are a real plus there.

Edited by Mr. Lee

JollyJim
Don't forget to join the frequent flyer program before you fly and be sure to tell the airline your number when you confirm your flights so you get credit for those flight. Long flights get you big mileage rewards.

We get free upgrades on PAL and also free (except for the taxes) flights within the Philippines and the use of the lounges at LAX and Manila before our flights turns out to be a big plus to make the whole trip more enjoyable.

The lounges provide comfortable seats, free food, free soft drinks or bottled water, free booze, newspapers and magazines to read, clean CR's and large screen TV's, etc. and in Manila those metal benches can be a real killer, so the soft seats in the lounge are a real plus there.

How do you get into those lounges? I remeber you had to belong to something. Does being a PAL frequent flyer do it?

tom_shor

How do you get into those lounges? I remeber you had to belong to something. Does being a PAL frequent flyer do it?

You have to have a certain number of miles too. Almost every airline has a frequent flyer plan. Also you can accumulate miles with their partner airlines. So you are not limited to just that airline to accumulate miles.

You can get info about this on the airline websites.

Mike if you haven't joined you should look into that. it isn't too late to get credit for the miles.

Lee

Most airlines have a place to join their frequent flyer club on their web page and as you accumulate miles, you get benefits.

Here is Pal's link to join.

https://www.mabuhaymiles.com/mabuhayMiles-web/main/index.do

Also, I believe they will credit miles up to 6 months after you have flown with them. You have to join and provide them with you boarding pass for the flights you want credit for.

Edited by Mr. Lee

chimellie

Bring a bag of edible dried fish or dried squid , you can get them at any Asian grocery store . If you don't like the person next to you, open the fish or squid bag and eat some, that person will find a new seat fast.