Sign in to follow this  
Mike S

Give your best advise for taking a long flight

Mike S

OK ... boys and girls .... give your best advise for taking these long flights to the Phils ....... what to take with you on the plane ....... how to pass your time on the flight ...... in other words .... what to do and not to do .......

If this turns out good enough we could pin this topic for all those planning their first trip to overseas ...... I know with all the experiences you folks have that this could be a very valuable thread ..........

After my arival to Cebu in April I am planning on writing a trip report of my experiences both good and bad ....... I suppose I could write about some of the bad right now but I am going to reserve that until I see if will turn out better than expected .....

So post on ladies and gentleman ....... lets read what you got .......

Alan S

Dont drink too much, or any, alchohol. It dehydrates you and also has far more effect at the lowered air pressure at height.

Drink water or soft drinks, plus tea or, to a lesser extent, coffee.

I ignore the films which are usually rubbish. So, bring a good book or two and read the time away.

Walk around every couple of hours. Go to the CR, and take a long way round, or walk up and down a few times.

Try to get into the time zone that you will have upon arrival. Thus set your watch at Philippine time when you depart, and try to sleep and eat according to that. At least, as much as you can given the airlines timetable.

Sleep as much as possible.

If you get bored, DO NOT go outside for a walk. lol

Bob Ward

Go business class and forgedaboudit! :D

Some of the choices would depend upon the airlines chosen. Some airlines have more modern in-flight entertainment and other amenities. Food varries and is usually mediocre at best.

Portable DVD player might be a good choice as you can always use it in the Phils as your playback unit for US movies that won't play on some of the machines here. Bring extra batteries!

If you want to sleep more easily, some Tylenol PM will come in handy and they don't have the hangover effect that some of the prescription stuff has.

Bring a good wrap around neck pillow. Not inflatable as the firmness will change with altitude. The ones with the buckwheat husks are the best. A lumbar pillow will be useful to some. The cheapies from the plane can double for this.

Books/Magazines for sure

House slippers or reasonable facimilie if your feet are prone to getting cold.

Maintenance medications!!!!!!!

If you already have a set of headphones from DVD/CD/MP3 player, get an airline adaptor so that you can use them on the plane's entertainment system, The ones they give you on the plane suck for a number of reasons.

Favorite snacks since the airlines have cut back on quantity and quality many times.

Toiletries less than 3.5 oz. like toothpaste and toothbrush, deodorantm, eye drops etc.

For me an alsle seat is a must in coach.

One can of beer and two pickled eggs so that if you get a bigmouth chatterbox next to you, then gass him/her to sleep! (Colateral dammage possible)

Edited by Bob Ward

hoz

I bring benadryl as a sleeping pill, two of those work for me. A week before your departure start staying up as late as possible each night. trying to move your biological clock forward a bit.

On the plane if you can't sleep get up and walk the aisles, at least once an hour. Go to a bulkhead area with lots of room and do "aircraft exercises". Work your neck, shoulders and arms. Do toe lifts, alternating between feet. Walk in place. Stretches, arms, back and legs. I have even seen some people performing abbreviated yoga poses!

I don't mind talking to people if they are interesting. And most everyone has a story to tell. But I let them initiate the conversation. Foreigners are always interested in other Foreigners.

Stay hydrated, drink as much as you can but no alcohol. We fly Cathay Pacific and they have sandwiches, noodles, soup and other snacks. All you have to do is ask.

No matter what you do that long 15 hr hop is a tough one. The last 5 hours I usually go thru a period where I feel like I'm going to bust. That's when I try to sleep. The neck pillow works great here.

Once you hit the Philippines count on feeling out of sorts for at least 2 days. Then you're good to go!

smokey

Wear VERY loose cloths as close to Pajama as possible.. shoes .. slip on if possible .. easy to remove ,, If you have room your own pillow the ones they give you suck... Ask for a seat in the back away from all the talking and kids like in some planes 67K is a seat in the very back so you can recline your seat all the way all the time. You have no one behind you or to your right and there is a little more room for your head to lean over in a sleep mode..

JollyJim

All good advice that I have done some of. Only thing I can think to add is I always use ear plugs

when I'm trying to sleep. The soft foam ones cut the noise in half, that with a nice tylenol buzz I slept

for almost 4 hours on the way back this last time. Thats a record for me.

Jim

zazz

if you take the flight from new york to hong kong using cathay ..they have those new boieng aircraft .... the economy seats are more like business ..lots of room ..and they have all the latest movies on demand even for economy.... the hours will fly by.

Edited by zazz

sam12six

I once had a job where I had to take cross-country flights twice a week. I developed a system that worked for me. The major issue I have is not being able to move around. It just drives me crazy.

My flights were always on monday and friday, so what I would was pretty much stay awake all weekend. This gave me more awake time to do all the chores and go out as much as I wanted. The 2nd and best thing was that I would get on the plane and as soon the seat belt light want off, I would lay the seat back and pass out. A few hours later, magically a woman would appear and shake my shoulder saying, "sir!! sir!! we're approaching DFW."

With the longer flight to the PI if you're coming from the US, this won't really work unless you're one of those people who can sleep for like 20 hours uninterrupted. This would obviously make the "system" less effective for most of us.

In general, one of the things I find crucial is departure time. If it's available, take the red-eye. A 10:00am departure time will find you stuck in lines forever. If your flight has a 2:00AM departure, usually you can walk straight to the baggage check girl without ever standing in line. This may not be such a big deal to most people, but I really hate standing in line. You can often avoid lines altogether by taking an unpopular departure time because the airport is almost deserted.

chimellie
Wear VERY loose cloths as close to Pajama as possible.. shoes .. slip on if possible .. easy to remove ,, If you have room your own pillow the ones they give you suck... Ask for a seat in the back away from all the talking and kids like in some planes 67K is a seat in the very back so you can recline your seat all the way all the time. You have no one behind you or to your right and there is a little more room for your head to lean over in a sleep mode..

Good idea about loose clothes especially a loose pair of pants, 1 size bigger because you're always sitting. I also like the idea of wearing a pair of loose slippers once the plane takes off. The last time I flew my sneakers got so tight maybe because being in the air for a long time or maybe it has to do with pressurized cabin.

Alan S

Almost all of my flights are for business, and I always dress accordingly.

(Also, partly that is because I am comfortable in "formal" dress.)

So, a suit, or perhaps a blazer, and always wear a tie.

The result is that well over half the time I get upgraded.

Doesnt get you to your detination any quicker, but you certainly get a more comfortable seat.

ThePhils

I find these long flights to be a pain in the

Bob Ward

Doesnt get you to your detination any quicker, but you certainly get a more comfortable seat.

By my calculations, on the average jumbo jet at an average landing speed of 150 mph, the first class passengers will arrive just under 1 second earlier than those at the back of the plane. So you are there first! :D

Lee

By my calculations, on the average jumbo jet at an average landing speed of 150 mph, the first class passengers will arrive just under 1 second earlier than those at the back of the plane. So you are there first! :D

:lol::D:thumbsup: I think the rear wheels touch down first, but the nose is sort of there first, so who gets there first, the people over the wheels or the people in first class? I am so confused. :blonde: and I am not even blonde. :D

Sorry Bob, just could not resist!

Bob Ward

:lol::D:thumbsup: I think the rear wheels touch down first, but the nose is sort of there first, so who gets there first, the people over the wheels or the people in first class? I am so confused. :blonde: and I am not even blonde. :D

Spirited debate between inquiring minds is always welcome! I thought about the wheels issue, but the first class people actually enter the airspace first, so I went with that. :D

Lee

:D:D:thumbsup: I think the rear wheels touch down first, but the nose is sort of there first, so who gets there first, the people over the wheels or the people in first class? I am so confused. :lol: and I am not even blonde. :D

Spirited debate between inquiring minds is always welcome! I thought about the wheels issue, but the first class people actually enter the airspace first, so I went with that. :D

OK, you win!! :D:blonde: