Annoying habit of filipinos cutting people off

Why do filipinos (and filipinas) cut people off? It happens all the time. Whether it is filipinos in cars, motorcyles or just walking, they seem to go out of their way to cut off people. If you are are walking at an intersection and you happen to be half way across it on a walk signal, a car or a motorcyle will come screeching by to make a right turn passing just inches in front of you. The car/motorcyle probably had ample room to have gone behind (or waited a second or two) but it seems they cut you off just for the sake of it. Also, if you are walking in a mall and your path crosses that of a pinoy I can guaratee that he/she will cut you off. Sometimes the pinoy will actually speed up just so that he/she can cut you off. The interesting thing is whenever my path crosses that of a foreigner, we both stop to say "you first". I have yet to have a similar encounter with a pinoy.

So what is it about filipino thinking that makes them behave this way? Is it just lack of manners or do they think that their pinoy pride would suffer a blow if they are the one to give way? Truly baffliing this filipino thinking.

seaman

• Like 1
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Headshot

• smokey

• johnboy999

• ozboy

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You will not want to hear this. But, they drive the way they drive, because that is how it is done in the Philippines.   The reason you have the experiences you do with foreigners, is because foreig

Filipinos always cut me off when we're out drinking. Seems like nobody ever wants me to finish a senten....

Gee.. that was a 9 year old post. Bill still had hair when he wrote that.  You just wake up?

You will not want to hear this. But, they drive the way they drive, because that is how it is done in the Philippines.

The reason you have the experiences you do with foreigners, is because foreigners see things differently, and act similarly, in our respective countries.

If you will allow me, please take all western logic that you have in your mind, and throw it out the window.

Adapt to how things are done in the Philippines and you will live a much more stress free life. After all, it isn't going to change to suit you. You will have to be the one who changes.

• Like 7
or do they think that their pinoy pride would suffer a blow if they are the one to give way?

In regards to pedestrians when you get crapped on daily in life you take whatever victory you can, however insignificant, to say, "I am somebody."

or not.

Edited by Edwin
  • Like 2
Adapt to how things are done in the Philippines and you will live a much more stress free life

Amen to that

• Like 1
  • Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

Yea what Paul said. Plus, don't ask us why. If you really want to know why, spend years understanding the country, it's history and people and really learn the answers to your questions. It's like asking "What's it like in the Philippines?"

• Like 1
Fish Sandwich

Yea what Paul said. Plus, don't ask us why. If you really want to know why, spend years understanding the country, it's history and people and really learn the answers to your questions. It's like asking "What's it like in the Philippines?"

Even if you spent years trying to understand, you still wouldn't know why, other than a general lack of manners. But, generally speaking, the longer you stay, the less it will bother you.

Edited by Fish Sandwich
  • Like 2
RogerDat

Greetings! Also, sometimes, they are trying to flurt with you. It happens to me in the malls a lot. What really bugs me is when it is a guy!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
JSL-USMC

I agree with Paul's post. You seldom if ever see road rage unless it's a foreigner. It does irritate me a bit do be cut off by store clerks though. There are time when it goes beyond "their customs" to down right rudeness. I have, however, seen many random acts of kindness by our hosts.

Edited by JSL1934
  • Like 3
towboat72

ive said it before and ill say it again---i think its the me first attitude.they always have to be first and i dont care where it is or what it is or who it is .

i dont take it personal anymore because they do it to everyone not just foreigners.

thying to get on or off an elevator is always fun because they always jump in front of me

i just run into them with the stroller anymore

• Like 1
A_Simple_Man
i just run into them with the stroller anymore

So with all our 'advanced' education and life experiences, the lesson here is? Two wrongs make a right?

I prefer to just accept and adjust, and when it gets to me too bad I vent in forums like this one.

• Like 3
towboat72

im sorry you miss understood what i meant--i don not run into them intentially.but it get very hard not to hit then when u are trying to get a strokker in and out of an elavator-because they rush in front of you

and i hope you dont fall off your moral high horse because it will hurt

I believe - They don't cut you off - at least that's how they see it.

When they cut you off in their car, or bike, or push in in front of you in a line .. and you say "hey man, what the F" - they be like "Huh .. what's his problem?"

They just don't see it. There's a space, a gap, room to move - go into it .. Asian instinct enforced through society habit.

• Like 3
A_Simple_Man
im sorry you miss understood what i meant--i don not run into them intentially.but it get very hard not to hit then when u are trying to get a strokker in and out of an elavator-because they rush in front of you and i hope you dont fall off your moral high horse because it will hurt

Thank you for the clarification. I would respond to the second part of your reply, (in bold) but 2 wrongs would not make a right.

• Like 1
smokey

as my wife will tell me often ... always in a hurry and no where to go

• Like 2