onward ticket within 21 day period

A_Simple_Man
Immigration on the other hand have no way of doing the afore said computer check so wouldn't a doctored eTicket printout work?

One of the most frustrating things in this country is that each person gets a different experience. In my case, yes immigration checks my onward ticket each and every time. When you book any international ticket they ask for your passport number and it is entered into a computer. Immigration has taken my eticket and actually punched the reservation number into the computer to be sure that a seat in my name is actually showing on that computer. When it did not show up one time I had a lot of very pertinent questions to answer.

I am sure some have got by on a doctored eTicket. If you can stand to do the time then go for it. Whats the worse they can do to you and are you willing to accept that punishment. (Note: No need to get into a discussion about that, the question is rhetorical so as to show you the lack of wisdom in choosing that course of action.)

• Like 1
  • Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• udonthani

• Mr.T

• A_Simple_Man

• Monsoon

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I flew from Copenhagen via Doha to Manila on oct 1st 2012, with a return ticket for late march 2013, The lady at the check in counter in Copenhagen was in doubt and called someone to make sure, the an

I've entered the Philippines by air atleast 11 times the last 3 years and never have they asked me for a ticket within those 21 days.... so it's actually just a very small % of people who are asked to

That is because you have never printed up a fake onward ticket and sweat bullets while the immigration official plugs the flight number into the computer and frowns when your name does not come up on

I really don't see what the problem is here. The Phil Gov't website says you must have an onward ticket. Big deal. It does NOT say when your flight out must be. All it says is you must have an onward ticket. Same with the Lonely Planet site.

Why you guys are quoting 21, 59, etc, days is beyond me. Nothing was said about timeframes at all.

This is just the BI conforming to what just about every other country on the planets requires; a ticket out.

Maybe I missed something but I did read the links here twice.

Why is everyone making mountains out of mole hills?

Edited by TorJay
  • Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

Does having an ACR Card get you a waiver? Like others, I've never been asked for an onward ticket - but I am aware that it is actually a requirement.

If they are cracking down suddenly, it's probably because some assh*le overstayer has caused a problem, and the Immigration have decided to fine the airline for not ensuring the onward ticket.

My understanding is the fine for the airline is 50,000 pesos.

Depends what that ACR card is for. If its because you are a tourist who has stayed long enough for them to require you buy one at your tourist visa extension the answer is no. However I have seen someone checking in with me in BKK on Thai Airways show them an ACR that clearly stated "TEMPORARY VISITOR" and they said, "Oh, OK" and checked them in.

I have found that one particular airline most STRICTLY enforces this: CEBU PACIFIC. Their motivation isnt to avoid fines but to SELL TICKETS. I have had to argue with idiots at their check in counter that have never even been to the Philippines on many occasions. I have had people with me who were on PEZA visas, 9Gs, 13As, 13's etc and it has taken the branch manager's approval for them to check in for the flight.

Many other airlines Ive taken have been more lax. I have never had immigration ask for it and I dont know anyone who has.

The government needs to publish a CLEAR guideline on this so its not the airlines making policies. My most recent trip the guy I was with was made to go into the back room and print his itinery for his onward ticket before they would let him board. I could have pulled the little idiot across the counter over by his ears. He was arrogant and ignorant at the same time.

I have NEVER been told or heard of anyone being told that it has to be within the 21 days. It is common knowledge that the Philippines allows painless tourist visa extensions. If you've got the money, they let you stay. I am sure this is again CEBU PACIFIC trying to increase revenue.

I tend to be a prick to them now adays. They always ask me "How long will you be staying in the Philippines?" and I always say, "As long as I want." or sometimes they ask me, "Where are you going after Manila?" and I say, "Home." I love confusing the idiots. But only because I know its a money grab.

Have there been people turned away by immigration and summarily denied entry because of no onward ticket? Yea but in almost every case I bet its because they were assholes and acting up in the immigration line and thinking the immigration was some service that they could complain about as a non-philippino citizen. Those morons, I have seen far too many times in the hundred or so times Ive gone through immigration.

Edited by IFR Pilot
udonthani

I really don't see what the problem is here. The Phil Gov't website says you must have an onward ticket. Big deal. It does NOT say when your flight out must be. All it says is you must have an onward ticket. Same with the Lonely Planet site.

http://immigration.gov.ph/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1759&Itemid=78

Immigration Commissioner Ricardo David Jr. said he already instructed the BI airport operations division to fine any airline that permits a foreign tourist to board its aircraft without a return ticket before flying to the Philippines .

David stressed that it should be the responsibility of the airlines to see to it that all its passengers who are traveling as tourists have procured the necessary return tickets.

He said the requirement on return tickets for tourists is an international rule that is practiced and implemented in almost all other countries in the world.

[/b]“This rule is meant to guarantee that a tourist will leave the host country before the lapse of his stay as a temporary visitor,” the BI chief explained.[/b]

that means that if you arrive on a visa waiver, strictly speaking, the onward ticket has to be within 21 days. If a 59 day visa, within those 59 days.

what also freaked me a touch was the automatic phone message at the Filipino Embassy in London, where they specifically state that if you don't get a visa, you have to have an onward ticket, within the 21 days.

Immigration on the other hand have no way of doing the afore said computer check so wouldn't a doctored eTicket printout work?

people have been nabbed for that. It's a 12 year old's trick and will last only seconds, of scrutiny. A friend of mine was behind somebody in a check in queue once, who got caught out trying to present a dummy e-ticket that wasn't genuine but faked. They can check in seconds. He wasn't just turned away. Some official came up to the check in desk and took him away to question him as if he was under arrest or nearly under arrest. He certainly wasn't going to get on the flight. Remember, when you're in an international airport, it's not like being in a bus station. It's a secure zone. You can't just run away if it looks like you're in a tight situation. There's loads of cops everywhere. If you do anything like that and you get found out, you're going to be taken somewhere and questioned about it.

Skywalker
[/b]“This rule is meant to guarantee that a tourist will leave the host country before the lapse of his stay as a temporary visitor,” the BI chief explained.[/b]

You really have to laugh out loud! How on Earth does an ongoing ticket guarantee that a tourist will leave? Where are these people educated?

• Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

By the way, the least money wasting way I have found to deal with the onward journey ticket over the years has been to buy a busines class ticket that allows changing and refunds. I have changed some business class tickets 10 times and then asked for a refund. They charged me I think $20 to process the refund which was applied to my credit card. Just don't let it go into 'no-show' status. Then you will incur additional fees and it becomes less lucrative. They even let me make and subsequently confirmed changes via email. Heck I even earned miles on my credit card for the purchase.

Edited by IFR Pilot
  • Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

You really have to laugh out loud! How on Earth does an ongoing ticket guarantee that a tourist will leave? Where are these people educated?

Hey even more ridiculous is the requirement for a Filipino to have a return ticket before leaving their own country! There are exceptions (permanent resident somewhere else, OFW and I think ASEAN travel cards) but how insulting is that! Its more of a pain in the ass for me than the onward requirement ever was because my wife and I go on trips together and when we leave we dont know when we are coming back. She never gets hasseled for an onward ticket when entering any ASEAN country (Im not sure if its even an official requirement). But I buy a throw away or keep a business class flight booked just for that purpose. And they are down right rude about the whole thing. My wife was once asked by the stupid security guy at the entrance screening point of the airport if she had a return ticket. Screw him. I cant wait until she can tell them to piss off and show them her green card. I just don't know when Ill build up the patience and stomach to stay in the states for that long continuously.

• Like 1
Headshot

Guys, if you have a personal beef with another member...take it downstairs, take it to PM or take it outside LinC Forums completely. This is NOT the right place. Some guys are about to get put on full moderation (where we review every post you make before it shows up) if you don't stop now

Headshot

http://immigration.g...=1759&Itemid=78

Immigration Commissioner Ricardo David Jr. said he already instructed the BI airport operations division to fine any airline that permits a foreign tourist to board its aircraft without a return ticket before flying to the Philippines .

David stressed that it should be the responsibility of the airlines to see to it that all its passengers who are traveling as tourists have procured the necessary return tickets.

He said the requirement on return tickets for tourists is an international rule that is practiced and implemented in almost all other countries in the world.

“This rule is meant to guarantee that a tourist will leave the host country before the lapse of his stay as a temporary visitor,” the BI chief explained.

that means that if you arrive on a visa waiver, strictly speaking, the onward ticket has to be within 21 days. If a 59 day visa, within those 59 days.

what also freaked me a touch was the automatic phone message at the Filipino Embassy in London, where they specifically state that if you don't get a visa, you have to have an onward ticket, within the 21 days.

I see you talked about an onward ticket in your summary, but the above quote from Immigration may be confusing to some because you left this line out of your quote...

Atty. Ma. Antonette Mangrobang, BI spokesperson and acting intelligence chief, explained that under Sec. 29 of the immigration act, aliens who arrived as tourists but do not have valid return or onward tickets shall be automatically excluded.

The requirement is completely fulfilled if you have an ONWARD ticket to anywhere. It does NOT have to be a return ticket to your point of origin. In reality, if you are buying your ticket far in advance, a roundtrip ticket is probably cheaper than a one-way ticket plus an onward ticket to anyplace close to the Philippines. It would certainly be nice if they would hurry up and implement the change (that was already approved a long time ago) to a free 30 days for tourists.

Mangrobang, however, stressed that Balikbayans, who are also considered tourists but are admitted for one year, are exempted from the rule in deference to the fact that they are former citizens of the Philippines .

I wonder if they will also defer the rule for the spouse of the balikbayan...

Edited by Headshot

About a decade ago, they had a spate of enforcing the rules, and refusing entry to (some of) those without onward tickets.

Like so many rules, it was gradually relaxed, probably by the operatives rather than officially.

Now, it appears that they may again be enforcing the rules.

To me, it is far better to ensure that I am "fully legal", rather than get stuck en route at an airport, or declined entry.

• Like 1
udonthani

the 1,650 pesos I paid for the flight out of the country with Air Asia to Kota Kinabalu, about 25 days from now, also reinforces what I was saying on the other thread about the insane expensiveness of Cebu Pacific international flights, compared to Air Asia's.

for a Cebu Pacific flight leaving the same day, to Hong Kong, which is usually one of the cheapest places to get to from Manila and is almost exactly the same distance Kota Kinabalu is from Manila, the price is 4,425.

Skywalker
what I was saying on the other thread about the insane expensiveness of Cebu Pacific international flights, compared to Air Asia's.

God not more of this drivel.

Mods, doesn't this constitute advertising for Air Asia?

You threaten us with disciplinary action because we react to this inane bleating, but isn't there something in the rulz about constantly repeating? Shall I repeat that?

• Like 1
udonthani

the facts are just the facts. Clearly you don't like them otherwise you wouldn't be whining about it.

A_Simple_Man
the facts are just the facts.

Facts can be misrepresented, as you did in your post. You mentioned Cebu Pacific's price from Manila to Hong Kong and compared it to the distance but failed to add Cebu Pacific's price from Clark to Hong Kong which is a similar distance and yet on special for remarkable prices at frequent intervals.

• Like 2
udonthani

Cebu Pacific still comes up short, on price per km with the international flights, if you really look at it. Well short.

domestic flights, no complaints at all about the prices, or indeed anything else about the service. Only when it turns international, does Cebu Pacific start looking like not good value for money.

Edited by udonthani