onward ticket within 21 day period

udonthani

after reading several accounts of people being asked for onward tickets by airlines at check in WITHIN the 21 day visa waiver period, and also having been advised by the Trailfinders flight booker when I got the flight, that they'd been getting more and more reports recently that airlines were enforcing this, I decided to bite the bullet and buy a ticket out of the Philippines I won't be using.

it was the Air Asia Clark-Kota Kinabalu flight, about thirty days from now, cost 1,650 pesos. I'll be mildly irritated if I don't get asked for it at check in in 10 days time as if they don't, then that will be money down the toilet. I've never seen fit to do this before. My onward ticket outside the 21 day or 30 day period was always enough previously, but I've a feeling the enforcement may be getting stricter than before.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• udonthani

• Mr.T

• A_Simple_Man

• Monsoon

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I flew from Copenhagen via Doha to Manila on oct 1st 2012, with a return ticket for late march 2013, The lady at the check in counter in Copenhagen was in doubt and called someone to make sure, the an

I've entered the Philippines by air atleast 11 times the last 3 years and never have they asked me for a ticket within those 21 days.... so it's actually just a very small % of people who are asked to

That is because you have never printed up a fake onward ticket and sweat bullets while the immigration official plugs the flight number into the computer and frowns when your name does not come up on

I've entered the Philippines from Hong Kong, Taiwan, Thailand, Singapore and China. I've always used onward tickets 5 to 8 months after my arrival. Never had a problem (I don't even show the ticket, I just show the confirmation email, they never even verified it)

• Like 1
udonthani

it seems to me, that they're cracking down.

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thread.jspa?threadID=2235979

she is saying that even when you have a visa, they still ask for an onward ticket and it has to be within the time frame of the visa.

I've ALWAYS been asked for an onward ticket for the Philippines or Thailand, when they couldn't see at check in, that I had one already. This is several times coming in from cities in Thailand, Philippines and Malaysia (Malaysia is different as they have a 90 day visa waiver). But those times, they were always satisfied even when the onward ticket was OUTSIDE the 21 day or 30 day visa waiver period, which they always were. Now it looks like, they just might not be satisfied with that any more and could just disallow boarding if its outside the visa waiver . Enough for me to buy a ticket as a precautionary measure which I've never seen fit to do before.

I'll ask a few friends who have entered and will enter this month, from Hong Kong and Honolulu... both with onward tickets for next year. Let's see if it's true, because I hate false rumours

udonthani

so do I, I'm in the same position as you I've never had any problems before. But now I think it may have changed. At the end of the day I only spent 1,650 pesos to clear my mind.

if they do ask for an onward ticket inside the 21 day period, which I still think is unlikely, I'm fecked. I'll be in a UK airport at 11pm, with no laptop or internet cafe, and will be forced to try to look around to see if there's some Middle Eastern airline office open where I might buy a very expensive flight out of Manila and maybe get a refund on later, which would be a total nightmare.

Edited by udonthani

so do I, I'm in the same position as you I've never had any problems before. But now I think it may have changed. At the end of the day I only spent 1,650 pesos to clear my mind.

if they do ask for an onward ticket inside the 21 day period, which I still think is unlikely, I'm fecked. I'll be in a UK airport at 11pm, with no laptop or internet cafe, and will be forced to try to look around to see if there's some Middle Eastern airline office open where I might buy a very expensive flight out of Manila and maybe get a refund on later, which would be a total nightmare.

Unless you fly straight into the Philippines from the UK, they won't ask you an onward ticket and if they do, i'm sure it doesn't have to be within the 21 or 30 days visa waiver period.

I wouldn't trust a review made by some backpacker tourist about the 21 or 30 days onward ticket, just doesn't seem right. Why would they offer tourist visa extentions then?

Edited by Mr.T
udonthani

BI fines airlines bringing tourists sans return ticket

JULY 22, 2012

http://immigration.gov.ph/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1759&Itemid=78

it just seems like they could be cracking down on it. Enough for me to get a bit wary about it. The recorded voice message at the Philippine Embassy in London also says, that visitors who do not have a visa in advance must have an onward ticket dated within the 21 days.

BI fines airlines bringing tourists sans return ticket

JULY 22, 2012

http://immigration.g...=1759&Itemid=78

it just seems like they could be cracking down on it. Enough for me to get a bit wary about it. The recorded voice message at the Philippine Embassy in London also says, that visitors who do not have a visa in advance must have an onward ticket dated within the 21 days.

I'm going to ask my friends,if they entered with their onward tickets bounded for next year, i'll just screw all this nonsense.

Edited by Mr.T
udonthani

Unless you fly straight into the Philippines from the UK, they won't ask you an onward ticket.

no that's not true I've been asked for onward tickets in Bangkok, Kuala Lumpur and Kota Kinabalu and other people have also in loads of Asian airports, this is going back years. I also was not able to buy a one way ticket to Bangkok at an Air Asia shop, paying cash, in Malaysia once. They said well you can buy a one way ticket in this shop this week if you want, but you'd be really stupid if you did, because you have no chance of getting on one of our planes at the airport next week, if you don't have an onward ticket.

As far as I know, you are the one creating these 21 - 30 days onward ticket rumours. I have heard nothing about it, all my friends use onward tickets bounded for the next year.

I would have known already by now.

Edited by Mr.T
udonthani

but if you look at that Thorn Tree thread, somebody - who is a reliable poster I might add - says that you might have to show an onward ticket even then. And it might have to be within the 59 day period too, not the 21 days in the visa waiver.

SkyMan

Maybe so but you usually don't stay over 2 months do you? If you do your r/t for 59days you don't need another ticket.

Also, if they're cracking down on exit tickets being within 21 days, how long before they start saying on first extension, "Ok, now where's your exit ticket within the next 38 days?"

udonthani

no I stay 118 days 21+38+59

believe me I'm not trying to fan some rumour mill. I'm genuinely concerned things might be changing.

of course I still think I won't actually be asked for the Air Asia 1,650 peso ticket I just bought when I do check in for the flight in 10 days time. As far as the airline is concerned, I will have an onward ticket with them, only it's 118 days henceforth. They've never said anything before. But this time I'm just a touch concerned, that they might say something now.

Nangulo

I flew in from Hong Kong in July on Cathay Pacific and was not asked for an onward ticket.

I flew in from the US last month and could not check-in online because the United Airlines computer said I had to show an onward ticket to a ticketing agent at the airport.

As far as throwing tickets away goes - Why? Why not, instead, charge a fully refundable ticket to your credit card, enter the country, then get a refund? Won't cost a dime.