American Killed In Danao City

well of course that may be true, and that could certainly put someone like himself in risky situations. it's still a damn shame it had to all end so tragically and i feel for his family and loved ones.

Yes, it's a shame... I wonder if he has family in Cebu.... his last name seems to be Filipino

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smokey

• jtmwatchbiz

• Mr.T

• udonthani

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I know it doesnt always work, but I believe that a great many of these situations can be resoved with humor rather than bravado .     When a drunk at a festival approaches you and asks for your bi

i believe ian was simply giving an example of how one may try to diffuse a situation instead of allowing it to become more confrontational. now of course some criminals may not be so easily placated b

He was shot for deeper reasons than his not letting this dirtball use his motorcycle. He was shot out of a deep seated resentment and jealousy because he was a Fil-Am dating one of the local girls. I

jtmwatchbiz

It's unwise to assume anyone who looks you up and down has bad intentions toward you. Different culture, hard to tell what they're really thinking. I'm 63 and I get lots of the same. I ignore.

you're right on that one. i also for years have seen the same stares that look like sizing me up. i have learned to nod and smile, and usually that diffuses things and the guy does the same back to me and all is well. one would be surprised of how many stares are just mild curiosity and really don't mean anything offensive like back home in the USA and elsewhere.

ian is also correct that a bit of friendly banter and smiles can usually smooth over some possible confrontations. act like it's all good and most of the time it will be. act like a freak with your spring wound too tight and it's a sure bet you will find what you are looking to avoid.

• Like 4

I spent/spend a lotta time in danao (have apt, relatives, motorbike there). They have the baddest gangs and most guns there. When i ride, i ride during the day. when i go out at night, i am always with the relatives...they won't allow me to go out at night alone...at fiestas, i am always surrounded by relatives... we all have a good time, i sometimes embarrass everyone if i get too drunk, and hear about it in the morning...loudly...and maybe deservedly, :bashtroll: but the relatives know...and they protect me...why? cuz there are those that are desperate,,,and honkey white boy will always be a target.....and btw, I have never met anyone there who I felt had any ill feelings towards me...somebody said its about the situatiion...if that is avoided...your good!

• Like 1
burnttoast
the only serious problem I had was with a security guard once at the building I was living in, he was about my age, and saw me with alot of girls, and he was really giving me a bad time, I could just feel he was up to no good.

Ditto, security guards are the worst, and actually my least favorite people in the Philippines. First of all if you stay in hotel, pension or whatever here is a guy who sees you come and go every day, he's not your friend and he doesn't serve your interests because you are not paying him. Now there is a certain personality type that is attracted to badges, uniforms, guns and wielding power over people and I won't go into that any further. I've stayed in a few hotels where these guards see "wealthy" foreigners come and go for some time and try to cash in on it by having rackets going on the side. A common one is they will buddy up with a taxi driver and let them park on the curb of the hotel, then they will direct guests into that taxi convienently parked right in front of the entrance and get a cut on the fare. These friendly taxi drivers also moonlight aspiring tour guides. One offered to take me from a hotel near Fuente to tops for only 6000 pesos. The security guard at the hotel would roost in the doorway blocking my way, flirt with my girls and ask me every night if I wanted to go to tops, guess why? I always said no and eventually had to change hotels it got so annoying.

Edited by burnttoast
  • Like 1

from Fuente to Tops for 6,000 pesos... that's ridicilous!

I met a 62 year old Dutch guy who walked from Fuente circle all the way to the Tops, alone. That was his day trip, and he didn't die doing it.

For Real

Wait -

:banghead:

- alright, I feel better now after reading this post.

First off, my deep sorrows to this guy and his family.

1- The "story" said? A dead man, and a murderer on the loose, and some witnesses all said, he wanted to "borrow" the bike and then simply shot him in the chest from a no?

2- Let's get another beer with a man who finds murdering another for a bike "borrowing" refusal a sensible idea? Oh yes, how hilarious and insightful - go get a beer with a drunk that "politely" asked to borrow your bike. I guess after the next beer he would finally be more rational, kind and understanding to the incredible humor and wisdom of getting him drunker.

3- Where did the story say the shot in cold blood said feck you?

This "story" seems rather odd, and there is no doubt it went further then just a may I, borrowing refusal.

Let's go have another drink? Really?

How about, realizing that the guy who asked, was probably the one portraying the alpha tone - after all, he did want a bike and did kill somebody, and was carrying a gun - and this was the guy probably saying the first feck you. Maybe, the humor should of been a knock knock joke, or better yet, an offer to buy the polite, simple request, murderer a beer (hilarious) and then making a fake comfort room pee, followed by a bee line to the bike.

RIP to a kid far far too young to be shot down in a bike jacking.

This is the post of the week. Maybe have a big funny hat with googly glasses handy so you can humor some piece of crap that preys and zeroes in on its target.

Being murdered for not putting on a Mexican hat dance in a sombrero can happen anywhere in the world, that being said the city of Danao is no stranger to Murder...its just no big deal as it happens every other week. Guns are made the, guns are cheap and sometimes the Danao guns don't misfire.

Why don't we send in our Happy Happy Joy Joy troops to the shittier places of the Ghetto that is the Philippines., they might be able to bring peace to the land through being funny.

Condolences to the victim and his family, first for being murdered and also for being pre judged by some of the posters here with no capacity to reply.

• Like 1

American shot dead by friend

A 25-year-old American national was shot dead by a drunk friend during a fiesta celebration in barangay Maslog, Danao City, northern Cebu.

Police identified the fatality as Christopher Aaron Bonsukan of Texas, USA. Bonsukan was born to American parents but was adopted by a Filipino couple.

Dr. Eulogio Bonsukan, the victim’s father, is a practicing surgeon in the US.

While in the country, the Bonsukans live in barangay Estaca, Compostela town.

The suspect in the killing, Alvin Bensig, eluded arrest.

Police said Bonsukan went to sitio Cogon last Thursday to attend the place’s fiesta celebration. His girlfriend Mary Ann Aguilar lives there.

Bonsukan, his girlfriend and some friends sat at a table across the road of Aguilar’s house. They were waiting for Bonsukan’s father, who was also invited to the fiesta celebration.

Police said a drunk Bensig, a relative of Aguilar, approached the victim and asked to borrow his motorcycle.

Bonsukan refused and offered to just give Bensig fare money.

Bensig got angry and punched the victim’s male friend before drawing a .45 pistol and shooting Bonsukan in the chest.

Bensig fled right after.

The victim’s father arrived a few minutes later and tried to revive his son. It was too late.

In a separate incident in Danao City , a 33-year-old man was shot dead by an unidentified assailant last Thursday night.

Roel Barriga was standing outside his house on Juan Luna Street around 9 p.m. when two men on-board a motorcycle arrived.

The two men parked the motorcycle about 20 meters from Barriga’s house. One of them approached Barriga and fired several shots at him before the assailants drove off.

A wounded Barriga ran to a neighbor’s house for help. He was brought to the Danao Provincial Hospital where he was declared dead by the attending physician.

PO2 Phil Restauro of the Danao police said investigators are looking into illegal drug connections as a possible motive in the killing.

http://newsinfo.inqu...-dead-by-friend

Edited by Mr.T
For Real

Ditto, security guards are the worst, and actually my least favorite people in the Philippines. First of all if you stay in hotel, pension or whatever here is a guy who sees you come and go every day, he's not your friend and he doesn't serve your interests because you are not paying him. Now there is a certain personality type that is attracted to badges, uniforms, guns and wielding power over people and I won't go into that any further. I've stayed in a few hotels where these guards see "wealthy" foreigners come and go for some time and try to cash in on it by having rackets going on the side. A common one is they will buddy up with a taxi driver and let them park on the curb of the hotel, then they will direct guests into that taxi convienently parked right in front of the entrance and get a cut on the fare. These friendly taxi drivers also moonlight aspiring tour guides. One offered to take me from a hotel near Fuente to tops for only 6000 pesos. The security guard at the hotel would roost in the doorway blocking my way, flirt with my girls and ask me every night if I wanted to go to tops, guess why? I always said no and eventually had to change hotels it got so annoying.

This quote might one day be the reason your life insurer will not pay out...

• Like 1
tokyoman
Ditto, security guards are the worst, and actually my least favorite people in the Philippines. First of all if you stay in hotel, pension or whatever here is a guy who sees you come and go every day, he's not your friend and he doesn't serve your interests because you are not paying him. Now there is a certain personality type that is attracted to badges, uniforms, guns and wielding power over people and I won't go into that any further. I've stayed in a few hotels where these guards see "wealthy" foreigners come and go for some time and try to cash in on it by having rackets going on the side. A common one is they will buddy up with a taxi driver and let them park on the curb of the hotel, then they will direct guests into that taxi convienently parked right in front of the entrance and get a cut on the fare. These friendly taxi drivers also moonlight aspiring tour guides. One offered to take me from a hotel near Fuente to tops for only 6000 pesos. The security guard at the hotel would roost in the doorway blocking my way, flirt with my girls and ask me every night if I wanted to go to tops, guess why? I always said no and eventually had to change hotels it got so annoying

The security guards at my condo complex are a great help. They make calls on my behalf, get me my mail, offer to pick up my groceries and always greet me with a smile.

Most of them are my female - they tend to do work a lot harder

Edited by broden
fixed quote name
  • Like 1
Athena

i believe ian was simply giving an example of how one may try to diffuse a situation instead of allowing it to become more confrontational. now of course some criminals may not be so easily placated by an offer of a beer, but anything may be better than drawing a line in the sand and refusing to give up an item during a confrontation.

and sometimes, people are just caught unaware ................ things happen ............

its a sad ending to a young life that looks to have so much promise .............. RIP

Athena

some of us dont have as rich and fullfilling lives as you do and need to find opportunities to express ourselves and to communicate with others . Sometimes we just need someone to bounce our inane thoughts off of !! To reach such an enlightened state as you have is a quest that many of us mortals never completely achieve.

sarcastic brat!

:biggrin_01: :biggrin_01: :biggrin_01:

Athena

My condolences. I'm not much older than he was. I will say this about being a young foreigner here in the Philippines. You older guys are lucky, it's alot tougher for us when it comes to dealing with Filipino males. There's an added element of competition and rivalry there. I see it everyday in any number of situations. What I encounter alot is young Filipino guys looking me up and down and constantly sizing me up, they are thinking and the impression I get is "this guy is the same age (or younger) as I am, how is he better off than me".

You are correct!

That’s why I feel nervous when we visited PI with my young adult son. He joined us out and about and certainly not on a night out and cramped his style unless I specifically asked him to come. However, when my son is out and about, I insisted that he is accompanied at all times by my brother.

My brother reported that my son was eyed by the young Filipinos and they are watching his moves esp the moneyed set. They are also trying him on but luckily my son has taken it all in his stride and doesn’t make an issue of it. They all ended up being good friends and have exchanged shirts (football shirt). I guess this was help with my sons demeanour as he is not loud or a show off. The girls even think he is a snob. But as my brother tried explaining to the girls – he is just a quiet person who only speak when spoken to and doesn’t think he is gods gift to women!

MattFromGA
just out of curiosity...and since you are an American like me, how does the drug and violent crime problem here in cebu compare to USA cities?

Hey, I'll take Cebu over Detroit in a minute. I guess I'd say the same about Philadelphia too.

• Like 2