American Killed In Danao City

samatm

You really cannot relax and let your guard down anywhere, gotta look over the shoulder all the time. For such a God fearing nation, I'm really taken back by stuff like this. Maybe it's time to rethink how good it is here.

As a foreigner, every move you make is watched, both near and from a far. When the time is right, the predator will make a move. It's really hard to defend against it here without becoming a total recluse.

You can't live your life hiding under a rock. Maybe you are over reacting. what if the Texan Foreigner murdered here wasn't a Caucasian would you still have come out with your paranoia post? Very sad story. condolences to All connected with this victim.

Edited by samatm
  • Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smokey

• Mr.T

• jtmwatchbiz

• MattFromGA

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I know it doesnt always work, but I believe that a great many of these situations can be resoved with humor rather than bravado .     When a drunk at a festival approaches you and asks for your bi

i believe ian was simply giving an example of how one may try to diffuse a situation instead of allowing it to become more confrontational. now of course some criminals may not be so easily placated b

He was shot for deeper reasons than his not letting this dirtball use his motorcycle. He was shot out of a deep seated resentment and jealousy because he was a Fil-Am dating one of the local girls. I

MarinePride

well i'm not so sure about that, and giving the nature of our family's business i'm hardly able to be a recluse. i'm all over this city making cash deals every day and usually a few nites per week as well, and i don't see it anywhere near as bad as you are making it out to be. as a matter of fact, i can say in all honesty that i prefer to make transactions all over cebu much more than i would like to do in most cities in the USA.

You must believe in the good of people, I believe in the bad of people and how could anyone fault me for it? I watch the local news and read the local papers, everyday. The level of violence / crime here is just amazing if you are paying attention to it, but to each his own.

If you have something and a lot of people don't have much, and you are not from around here, you are a target. Maybe not today, but one day you will be, under the right circumstances.

• Like 3
MarinePride

You can't live your life hiding under a rock. Maybe you are over reacting. what if the Texan Foreigner murdered here wasn't a Caucasian would you still have come out with your paranoia post? Very sad story. condolences to All connected with this victim.

You call it "paranoia", I call it situational awareness or just keeping an awareness of who's around you and what are they doing. Sorry that the USMC trained me for that, I can't change it. As far as me over reacting, I'm just trying to give some usefull advice here. I really don't care who considers it, thinks about it and / or applies it. I live my life and you live yours, excuse me for giving a shit one way or the other.

As for the victim being a foreigner and making a big deal about it, well this board is meant for people who are not native to these lands, for the most part. I'm not the one who even posted the article here. I probably would have discovered this crime on the news and would not have mentioned it here. I don't post stuff just for the sake of posting stuff. I've got better things to do and I do'em.

• Like 3
Davaoeno
I don't post stuff just for the sake of posting stuff.

some of us dont have as rich and fullfilling lives as you do and need to find opportunities to express ourselves and to communicate with others . Sometimes we just need someone to bounce our inane thoughts off of !! To reach such an enlightened state as you have is a quest that many of us mortals never completely achieve.

• Like 2
littlePP

To reach such an enlightened state as you have is a quest that many of us mortals never completely achieve.

Now, this is exactly what I would of said to the drunk guy after he asked nicely to borrow my bike. :good:

• Like 4
smokey

I cant help but reiterate that this happens all over the place, including the USA. Whenever I read a story about one or more black guys doing something similar to this in the USA, the comments on the news story say the same type of thing about "being extra careful whenever you're around unpredictable blacks". i thought it was unpredictable red necks.

In general, you should always be aware of your surroundings and never fight against a robbery. People die in robberies in the USA daily. Given the way the world is tightening up on the poor every day you can expect the number of these events to get greater everywhere.

dont worry just pick up some extra amo..

A reason for killing does not have to make sense.

In recent memory, I recall a fellow did some acrobatics, while with his buddies at a "drinking session" (I love that phrase). His buddies were critical as he did his tumbling routine and mocked him. For that, they paid with their lives as the tumbler went home, got a big knife and came back and "righted the wrong".

In my village, five houses burned to the ground with associated families left homeless (no injuries except to some poor animals which were trapped). This fire was caused by an angry man who was getting even for some reason with his girlfriend as she slept. He locked the doors where she was sleeping, poured gasoline (readily available as his weapon of choice) and set the house ablaze. She and the child (his child) survived, but did come close to being trapped.

Some of my relatives get their asses whipped now and again by local bullies who create fear in anyone who challenges them. One relative took his own life after what seemed to be an endless series of harassments.

I know these were "locals" having their own issues. However, foreigners can easily get caught up in these episodes if they fail to maintain situational awareness.

It doesn't have to be a fiesta atmosphere either. A woman Peace Corps worker was killed a few years back while hiking, alone, in a peaceful community. The man who killed her used a rock laying alongside the trail where they had passed each other.

My adult son visited here and went to some local fiestas. We made sure he was always with a burly fellow we know and trust who could keep a watchful eye on those who took any interest in harassing the foreigner.

• Like 2
jtmwatchbiz
The level of violence / crime here is just amazing if you are paying attention to it,

i suppose...that is if you are comparing this place with Mayberry RFD. thank goodness you are trained to protect yourself. you remind me of another esteemed member who is also a "highly trained" ex-serviceman, who is now living in his own self-inflicted home-prison setting.

just out of curiosity...and since you are an American like me, how does the drug and violent crime problem here in cebu compare to USA cities?

• Like 4
smokey

i suppose...that is if you are comparing this place with Mayberry RFD. thank goodness you are trained to protect yourself. you remind me of another esteemed member who is also a "highly trained" ex-serviceman, who is now living in his own self-inflicted home-prison setting.

just out of curiosity...and since you are an American like me, how does the drug and violent crime problem here in cebu compare to USA cities?

crime is crime dead is dead dont matter where or why but the reality of it is dead

• Like 2
Davaoeno

In my experience with violent people many times even the most drunk uneducated people have a harder time hurting someone who has just treated them with respect and joked with them than they have hurting someone who has just told them to screw off especially if in an impolite way . There are admittedly exceptions but I'll go with the use of humor every time.

I have had this debate with James several times who usually calls me a coward for not confronting everyone that offends me - but it works for me . I have know several people in the last 10 years who refused to back down and most of them are now dead .

Edited by Davaoeno
  • Like 4
burnttoast

My condolences. I'm not much older than he was. I will say this about being a young foreigner here in the Philippines. You older guys are lucky, it's alot tougher for us when it comes to dealing with Filipino males. There's an added element of competition and rivalry there. I see it everyday in any number of situations. What I encounter alot is young Filipino guys looking me up and down and constantly sizing me up, they are thinking and the impression I get is "this guy is the same age (or younger) as I am, how is he better off than me".

• Like 3

If you look at his pictures in his Facebook, it seems like he was living a rather careless lifestyle... just my opinion.

What I encounter alot is young Filipino guys looking me up and down and constantly sizing me up, they are thinking and the impression I get is "this guy is the same age (or younger) as I am, how is he better off than me".

Yes, i'm the same age as this guy was and it happens to me too. I have the same feeling sometimes, it's worse in the provinces than it is in the cities. I don't see it as a problem, I really just try to ignore them, the only serious problem I had was with a security guard once at the building I was living in, he was about my age, and saw me with alot of girls, and he was really giving me a bad time, I could just feel he was up to no good.

Mostly it's just bragging and I know this and I know that or 'You want to bet on this or that' kind of stuff, I ignore that and i'm fine. What I did notice is alot of young guys will try to hit on my GF even when i'm there or from the moment I turn around, some cases I would have probably slapped the guy if it was back home but because they are Filipino and because they are abviously having a harder time than me, I just ignore.

Actually, last year, when I went to the immigration office, one of the immigration officers asked my (now ex) GFs phonenumber INFRONT of me. She refused, and he ran after us asking for her phonenumber again. I kind of laughed it off, anyway... he failed - I still don't understand why he was so crazy about her, she really wasn't a top model or something.

But i've also made some good Filipino guy friends who have the same interests as me and even similar educational backgrounds, but they are definitelly a minority in the country.

Edited by Mr.T
jtmwatchbiz
I have had this debate with James several times who usually calls me a coward for not confronting everyone that offends me

the whole notion is hilarious. being a real man has everything to do with providing for one's family, and nothing to do with boisterous foolhardy bravado. funny but most of the braggart "heroes" that i know of are usually behind the 8 ball financially and certainly not capable bread winners for their families...but boy oh boy are they proud :)

• Like 3
enoonmai

My condolences. I'm not much older than he was. I will say this about being a young foreigner here in the Philippines. You older guys are lucky, it's alot tougher for us when it comes to dealing with Filipino males. There's an added element of competition and rivalry there. I see it everyday in any number of situations. What I encounter alot is young Filipino guys looking me up and down and constantly sizing me up, they are thinking and the impression I get is "this guy is the same age (or younger) as I am, how is he better off than me".

It's unwise to assume anyone who looks you up and down has bad intentions toward you. Different culture, hard to tell what they're really thinking. I'm 63 and I get lots of the same. I ignore.

• Like 1
jtmwatchbiz
If you look at his pictures in his Facebook, it seems like he was living a rather careless lifestyle... just my opinion

well of course that may be true, and that could certainly put someone like himself in risky situations. it's still a damn shame it had to all end so tragically and i feel for his family and loved ones.

• Like 1