American Killed In Danao City

Billy Reese sent a link to this article to me, this morning...

American shot dead in Danao City

By Davinci S. Maru

Saturday, October 6, 2012

AN AMERICAN national was killed after he allegedly refused to lend his motorcycle to the suspect. The incident happened at 7:50 p.m. in Sitio Cogon, Barangay Maslog, Danao City, Cebu last Thursday.

The victim was identified as 25-year-old Christopher Bonsukan, a Texan native. Bonsukan was allegedly shot in the chest by suspect Alvin Bensig, a resident in the area.

Bensig remains at large.

SPO2 Eldefonso Prucia of Danao City Police Station told Sun.Star Cebu that Bonsukan was visiting his girlfriend Mary Ann Aguilar, who lives in the sitio, which was celebrating its annual fiesta.

Read more here...

Edited by Paul
  • Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smokey

• Mr.T

• jtmwatchbiz

• MattFromGA

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I know it doesnt always work, but I believe that a great many of these situations can be resoved with humor rather than bravado .     When a drunk at a festival approaches you and asks for your bi

i believe ian was simply giving an example of how one may try to diffuse a situation instead of allowing it to become more confrontational. now of course some criminals may not be so easily placated b

He was shot for deeper reasons than his not letting this dirtball use his motorcycle. He was shot out of a deep seated resentment and jealousy because he was a Fil-Am dating one of the local girls. I

USMC-Retired
jtmwatchbiz

that's a damn shame. what a terrible price to pay. so young and lost his life over some stupid motorbike. i know it's hard to predict how one will act when in a similar situation, but i hope we are all smart enough to forget the macho rambo crap and just hand over whatever item is demanded in a similar situation and let the police handle the rest. no matter how tough we may feel we are...we can't match the desperation of a dire criminal nor predict who is armed and willing to shoot.

• Like 4
Mattnlenny

Yeah I agree mate, when the price of a life is so cheap and someone is willing to kill for a few dollars, you can't go around being the hero. That's a sad story about this young guy. It's good the murderer has been identified and fingers crossed they catch him soon.

• Like 2
Davaoeno

I know it doesnt always work, but I believe that a great many of these situations can be resoved with humor rather than bravado .

When a drunk at a festival approaches you and asks for your bike rather than a " feck you no you cant have my bike" a " hey man you look like you need another beer , lets go get one " is what I am talking about . [ the story said the guy wanted to borrow the bike- ie it wasnt a car napping situation ]

• Like 6
SkyMan

Sad. Of course we don't know the particulars. Maybe the guy was drunk at the fiesta and just said, "Hey Joe, can I borrow your bike?" I'm, sure we'd all say something like, "Not this time." "Sorry, no." "I don't think so." And the guy took offense. Who knows?

Edited by SkyMan
  • Like 1
Kodiak570

Like others have said, who knows what the whole situation was when it unfolded. Especially with his SO there. Could have been an ex, family member, or complete stranger, in relationship to the Filipina. Sorry to see it happen, and more sorry it's just another sad and tragic statistic/trend that seems to be on the rise.

• Like 1
littlePP

I know it doesnt always work, but I believe that a great many of these situations can be resoved with humor rather than bravado .

When a drunk at a festival approaches you and asks for your bike rather than a " feck you no you cant have my bike" a " hey man you look like you need another beer , lets go get one " is what I am talking about . [ the story said the guy wanted to borrow the bike- ie it wasnt a car napping situation ]

Wait -

:banghead:

- alright, I feel better now after reading this post.

First off, my deep sorrows to this guy and his family.

1- The "story" said? A dead man, and a murderer on the loose, and some witnesses all said, he wanted to "borrow" the bike and then simply shot him in the chest from a no?

2- Let's get another beer with a man who finds murdering another for a bike "borrowing" refusal a sensible idea? Oh yes, how hilarious and insightful - go get a beer with a drunk that "politely" asked to borrow your bike. I guess after the next beer he would finally be more rational, kind and understanding to the incredible humor and wisdom of getting him drunker.

3- Where did the story say the shot in cold blood said feck you?

This "story" seems rather odd, and there is no doubt it went further then just a may I, borrowing refusal.

Let's go have another drink? Really?

How about, realizing that the guy who asked, was probably the one portraying the alpha tone - after all, he did want a bike and did kill somebody, and was carrying a gun - and this was the guy probably saying the first feck you. Maybe, the humor should of been a knock knock joke, or better yet, an offer to buy the polite, simple request, murderer a beer (hilarious) and then making a fake comfort room pee, followed by a bee line to the bike.

RIP to a kid far far too young to be shot down in a bike jacking.

• Like 3
MarinePride

You really cannot relax and let your guard down anywhere, gotta look over the shoulder all the time. For such a God fearing nation, I'm really taken back by stuff like this. Maybe it's time to rethink how good it is here.

As a foreigner, every move you make is watched, both near and from a far. When the time is right, the predator will make a move. It's really hard to defend against it here without becoming a total recluse.

• Like 2
MattFromGA

I cant help but reiterate that this happens all over the place, including the USA. Whenever I read a story about one or more black guys doing something similar to this in the USA, the comments on the news story say the same type of thing about "being extra careful whenever you're around unpredictable blacks".

In general, you should always be aware of your surroundings and never fight against a robbery. People die in robberies in the USA daily. Given the way the world is tightening up on the poor every day you can expect the number of these events to get greater everywhere.

• Like 4

This is very sad. I understand why he didn't want to barrow his motorcycle, this is not a reason to kill someone.

I don't know him and just checked out his Facebook page and it appears today is his girlfriend birthday.

I hope they cath the killer

Edited by Mr.T
  • Like 1
jtmwatchbiz

Wait -

:banghead:

- alright, I feel better now after reading this post.

First off, my deep sorrows to this guy and his family.

1- The "story" said? A dead man, and a murderer on the loose, and some witnesses all said, he wanted to "borrow" the bike and then simply shot him in the chest from a no?

2- Let's get another beer with a man who finds murdering another for a bike "borrowing" refusal a sensible idea? Oh yes, how hilarious and insightful - go get a beer with a drunk that "politely" asked to borrow your bike. I guess after the next beer he would finally be more rational, kind and understanding to the incredible humor and wisdom of getting him drunker.

3- Where did the story say the shot in cold blood said feck you?

This "story" seems rather odd, and there is no doubt it went further then just a may I, borrowing refusal.

Let's go have another drink? Really?

How about, realizing that the guy who asked, was probably the one portraying the alpha tone - after all, he did want a bike and did kill somebody, and was carrying a gun - and this was the guy probably saying the first feck you. Maybe, the humor should of been a knock knock joke, or better yet, an offer to buy the polite, simple request, murderer a beer (hilarious) and then making a fake comfort room pee, followed by a bee line to the bike.

RIP to a kid far far too young to be shot down in a bike jacking.

i believe ian was simply giving an example of how one may try to diffuse a situation instead of allowing it to become more confrontational. now of course some criminals may not be so easily placated by an offer of a beer, but anything may be better than drawing a line in the sand and refusing to give up an item during a confrontation.

• Like 5
jtmwatchbiz
As a foreigner, every move you make is watched, both near and from a far. When the time is right, the predator will make a move.

well i'm not so sure about that, and giving the nature of our family's business i'm hardly able to be a recluse. i'm all over this city making cash deals every day and usually a few nites per week as well, and i don't see it anywhere near as bad as you are making it out to be. as a matter of fact, i can say in all honesty that i prefer to make transactions all over cebu much more than i would like to do in most cities in the USA.

• Like 3
littlePP

i believe ian was simply giving an example of how one may try to diffuse a situation instead of allowing it to become more confrontational. now of course some criminals may not be so easily placated by an offer of a beer, but anything may be better than drawing a line in the sand and refusing to give up an item during a confrontation.

That might be, and I appreciate your defense of ian and that post, however it is in my opinion that the story is not telling all there is to it, and that the guy who had a gun and wanted something was in no way going to be coddled with another beer, especially since there is no humor in that as he suggested, and it would be keeping yourself with a drunk while getting him drunker - a drunk that has a gun, and was demanding something. The way that ian made the post suggest was, murdering scum politely asks to use a bike (doubtful) and the foreigner tells him, feck you (possible if the guy with the gun was demanding, and the foreigner was also buzzing).

The entire suggestion of suggesting to drink more with the guy, who was more then likely a little belligerent, was not something I would advice. I'm sure we have all been around annoying drunks, and if also drunk, their annoying will be countered by your annoying. So let's assume, that foreigner realized the situation was getting out of hand with this drunk (been there, done that - at many of a fiesta, where you suddenly find out the local guys do not like you as much as the woman once they begin drinking) and the foreigner then wants to leave - with annoying drunk with gun following until his ultimate goal of making foreigner pay, after he first bullies him into "using" his bike.

That, is far more believable then a polite "may I" use your bike, and a feck YOU as ian suggested as per what happened.