Hello Texasgirl newbie

Texasgirl

New to this forum trying to get in touch with people that live in the Cebu area. Have a lot of questions. I have made other post on this forum but I am not sure if it was the right places so I am sure I have made some mistakes. But back to topic one thing is it better to lease a house or buy? Should we ship our furniture or buy furniture there? Can we bring our 3 dogs (small) with us. I think I will stop with that

InternetTough

Welcome to the forum!

I think the vast majority of people here emphasize that renting is much better than buying here. I rent. One thing that can happen here (unless you are in a subdivision, I guess) is that people can suddenly start blasting away with karaoke and it gets wall-shaking loud. The police don't seem to stop it. You wouldn't want that to happen next to the house you just bought. Some businesses play incredibly loud music as advertising. There are other reasons to prefer renting to buying, like, you can move around and find the right place for you in the Philippines----if you are only renting.

Also---foreigners can't own land here. If you "buy" a house and lot here, you might find yourself on the losing end of a court decision. Many foreigners have gotten hustled about this. You should research this before spending. CAUTION! CAUTION! CAUTION! Other posters know a lot more about real estate than me, and you should listen to them. I would also consult a Filipino lawyer here.

About shipping your furniture---I have no opinion. I HAVE lived here a year and bought (and broken) two office chairs. In Korea I lived 11 years without breaking any chairs---even one I salvaged from someone's garbage. To tell you the truth, I wish I had that chair with me now. It was a far better chair than one I recently paid 3000 pesos for, the ruins of which will be out in Monday's garbage.

I would suggest that if anyone in your family has big feet to buy some good shoes before coming over here. I bought two good pairs in Korea before I moved. For that matter, large clothing in general is hard to find. Maybe buy some extra before moving.

In general, this place has a "poor" mentality about quality---it insists on paying less to get WAY less. They just don't have the dough to buy good stuff (even if it is worth it), so a lot of things for sale here are poorly made, with plastic serving where metal should be. It looks good in the show room but breaks at home.

About the dogs---I have no knowledge.

Edited by InternetTough

Hi and welcome to the forum.

My opinion about furniture is that it's better to buy it in the Philippines. There is good quality furniture available and is reasonably priced. Everything from good mattresses to good dining tables are available here, also, furniture can be made to order, something to consinder too.

CardiacKid

New to this forum trying to get in touch with people that live in the Cebu area. Have a lot of questions. I have made other post on this forum but I am not sure if it was the right places so I am sure I have made some mistakes. But back to topic one thing is it better to lease a house or buy? Should we ship our furniture or buy furniture there? Can we bring our 3 dogs (small) with us. I think I will stop with that

Welcome to the Forums. Rent for at least three years until you are sure you like Cebu and then find an area that you are comfortable in. Most houses here are much smaller than the homes in the U.S. so I would advise to sell your furniture there unless it has deep sentimental value. Also, the change in climate, humidity, etc. might reduce your U.S. furniture to junk in a few months time. You can bring your dogs with you. You need to check with the Philippine Embassy or nearest consulate for their requirements. Also be aware that some airlines will only ship your dogs during certain months of the year due to the heat. This link will provide some info but the Embassy or Consulate is the official source. http://www.expat-blog.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=103056 Also keep in mind that anything you ship here stays here for practical purposes. This link will show what Delta Airlines will require for flying your dogs. http://www.delta.com/planning_reservations/special_travel_needs/pet_travel_information/pet_requirements_restrictions/index.jspOthers are probably similar. Hope this helps and I hope your move is easy.
  • Like 2

Thank all of you. CardiacKid that was great link a lot of information on how to get my dogs there. About the furniture someone said it was lousy and someone else said you can find good furniture. I will need good stuff my husband is not fat just a big man for myself I guess you could call us Mutt and Jeff. I have tried to find furniture stores online but can not. Also what is the safest and best place to live around Cebu? We really don't want to live in the city per say we live in the burbs now would like to live out side of the metro area if possible.

Thanks

InternetTough

Hi and welcome to the forum.

My opinion about furniture is that it's better to buy it in the Philippines. There is good quality furniture available and is reasonably priced. Everything from good mattresses to good dining tables are available here, also, furniture can be made to order, something to consinder too.

I believe you. Maybe you could recommend a place that sells good furniture because I have had lousy luck with office chairs---unlike in my 11 years in Korea. (2 broken in one year here---both bought new. 0 broken in Korea, one salvaged from the garbage, 3 owned)

PS---Today I replaced a desk lamp bulb. I used the one that came with the lamp I bought in Korea for 4 years. It was a Korean brand. Then, here, it burned out two or three months ago. I bought two new Chinese bulbs here to replace the burned out one. I am now using the second one.

Last week I broke some scissors I bought here. The handles looked like they had plastic covers to protect one's fingers. No, they were actually made out of plastic!

Edited by InternetTough
Alfred E. Neuman

Welcome! Your savings/income can go a long way here.

Brucewayne

I believe you. Maybe you could recommend a place that sells good furniture because I have had lousy luck with office chairs---unlike in my 11 years in Korea. (2 broken in one year here---both bought new. 0 broken in Korea, one salvaged from the garbage, 3 owned)

PS---Today I replaced a desk lamp bulb. I used the one that came with the lamp I bought in Korea for 4 years. It was a Korean brand. Then, here, it burned out two or three months ago. I bought two new Chinese bulbs here to replace the burned out one. I am now using the second one.

Last week I broke some scissors I bought here. The handles looked like they had plastic covers to protect one's fingers. No, they were actually made out of plastic!

I also need a couple of office chairs.

I can't find a can opener that holds u for more that 2-3 uses and scissors simply don't work.

SkyMan
I HAVE lived here a year and bought (and broken) two office chairs. In Korea I lived 11 years without breaking any chairs---even one I salvaged from someone's garbage.
Maybe lechon baboy puts on a few more pounds than kimchi? I'm just sayin'...

Hey TG, :welcome2:

I prefer to own but I've never liked the feeling of living in someone else's house. But, I would follow the other advice of renting a while to get an idea of where to live and what prices are like. You didn't mention kids, that can narrow the areas you might want to live.

CardiacKid
Try this link for office chairs and office furniture. The link gives a contact number for their Mandaue store. http://www.officebusters.net/category/Office-Chair They sell used Japanese office furniture. I bought a chair from them a couple of months ago. It is holding up well and looked new. Best directions I can give you is follow the road to the airport in Mandaue and instead of turning right to get on the new bridge, turn left and you can see a Mall on the right. They're in there.
JSL-USMC

There's some other practical considerations one of which is nearness of medical facilities. Particularly if you already have problems.

I know one fellow that took a dog from here to the US and then brought it back, he had no problems.

I'm sure you realize that, as anywhere else, you get what you pay for. When my wife an I came we bought cheap furn. because we would be moving around for a while. It didn't hold up for the first move.

I think Cardiac Kid's reply is right on.

CardiacKid
have tried to find furniture stores online but can not.
Here's a couple of links that might help. Mandaue Foam is the largest furniture manufacturer in the Philippines and sells reasonable quality furniture. Buyer Beware rules there as they also sell assembled made in China boxed furniture. Giardini del Sole is a fine quality furniture manufacturer in Mandaue, which is an adjoining city. Mandaue Foam shows prices. I have seen examples of both and Giardini del Sole is superb. Mandaue Foam is targeted towards a lower priced clientele. http://www.giovanniboschi.com/ http://mandauefoam.ph/ CHEAP furniture is sold everywhere and is just that. Think of it as disposable. There are many local furniture makers who sell their products in small stores or along the roads. You can get them to make furniture to your designs. Construction is usually pretty good, but finish is uniformly poor. We recently bought a twin frame with attached headboard for $40.90 U.S.
rick2ride

Welcome Texasgirl

Don't live in Phils but this is the link for a Pet Passport http://www.pettravelstore.com/products/Pet-Passport-Philippines.html

I've heard you can send a container full of stuff to Philippines. I don't know the process

The consensus from most people here would be to rent for at least a year. Can't buy land as a foreigner but can lease the land for 50 years or more I've heard.