Aloha from Hawaii

Hello everyone. I am new to this forum and have been browsing through the topics for about a week now. My husband and I are getting ready to relocate to Cebu as soon as we are able to put our house up for sale here in Hawaii, hopefully next month. We hope to be in Cebu early next year.

I still have to navigate through the index and find out how to upload a profile picture.

My husband and I took our early retirement in 2004 and moved to Hawaii and built our house on the island. I still longed for home and so we decided that we will move to Cebu. We took a trip to the Philippines for a month in early 2000 and I was very happy that my husband liked the Philippines. Making the big move is giving me somewhat of an anxiety attack at times. I have been out of the country for 30+ years. Reading the posts here helps a lot. We will be renting a place to stay for a while until we decide if we want to go through another experience in dealing with building contractors or just buy another house or condo, or just rent a house/condo/apartment.

Anyway, I look forward to participating in the discussions here and hopefully meet some expats personally when we are in already in Cebu (hopefully early next year).

Aloha and mahalo everyone.

meylou

:yahoo:

ALOHA

From Kona, welcome and enjoy your stay. Make sure you look at previous posts that could help you, and read all the rules.

JSL-USMC

Cebu City has changed a lot even since 2000, much less thirty years ago. Nice place to live with all the amenities.

Maayong pag abot

Thank you very much, everyone. Believe me, I have been gathering all the info I can, especially on banking, health insurance, hospitals, etc. This forum is really helping me a lot. Thanks again.

• 1 month later...

Hello Meylou,

I was caught by "Hawaii" and it is very nice to hear one about it. I hope everything goes well with your plans in coming home. Even if I haven't been in Hawaii I enjoyed writing topics about it aside from it as part of my online job but the similarity it has with Philippines is just amazing. I wish you the best and your husband. Would love to hear more from you here. I am also trying to find my way out here with adding photos and stuff...

Take Care!

Am sure you and your husband will find that your dollar goes a lot further here in the Philippines. ie. Ten dollar beer there compared to 50 cents here. Best of luck, SB

Thank you, SB, Elique and everyone else that wished me luck. I wish you the best as well.

Elique, as newbies, we can't add new topics and photos until we've replied/posted 50, after which we will be considered full members. Maybe we can PM each other, eh?

SB, I know beer there only costs around 50 cents, maybe a little bit more now that the peso/dollar exchange rate is now only P40+. Yikes! Anyway you folks are lucky you are where you are.

Thanks again... meylou

twostrokes

I am wondering...if your husband has only been there once for a month and you having been gone for soooo long, do you really feel selling your house is wise??? Maybe giving someone a 1 year lease, and yourself a 1 year trial might be the wise thing to do. Since you never know what can happen with real estate, you may find a year from now, the market has recovered some and you might have to pay 25-40% more to get an equivelant house back in Hawaii.

Now if you are finished with Hawaii forever, even if you decide not to live in Cebu or elsewhere in the Philippines, then it is not a concern....Just sayin....might want to rethink that aspect of your trip. Good Luck on your plan..... I had planned on moving back there for many years as soon as I retired. Then it seemed I was reading so much negative about the RP, I changed my mind. Of course another reason was I had just finished building my house and paying it off free and clear before I retired. I have been getting by ok on my retirement as long as I don't throw money away like eating out all the time, spending for no reason, etc. But inflation over the past 3 years has taken much of my monthly reserves. Couple that with the outcome of the elections and I think we are in for massive inflation over the next few years. So am again courting the idea of moving back over to the Philippines. I had previously lived there about 15 years total between '65 to '93. Of course I am also considering Panama.

smokey

i agree with two strokes its easy to move to the philippines not so easy to move out if you buy or build a place... i suggest rent first explore ... baguio , manila,, davao,, subic . all different but all still the philippines..

Hello twostrokes and smokey.

Thank you so much for the advice. My husband and I realize, and we know, that once we sell our house here in Kauai, Hawaii, we will never be able to buy another property like ours. The property is just too big for us both. The property sits on an acre of land, the house is almost 4000 sq. ft. Ours is a custom-built house, with wraparound lanai, with 360 views (mountains and ocean). I admit that I will miss this house terribly. Our house is only 5 years old. Twice a year, our relatives come to visit, stay with us and enjoy the island.

When we do make our move, we do plan to rent first. I failed to mention that back in 2000, when we were still working, we went on a sabbatical for a month and toured the Philippines, from way up north (Banawe rice terraces) to way down south in Mindanao. We again went back two years later and pretty much decided to live in Cebu.

However, if we don't like living in Cebu, we do have the option to move back to California (Orange County) where most of our family are. We will make Cebu our home base so that we'll be able to travel around the country and Asia again. There are so many things to consider and believe me I've been researching and reading the posts here on the forum for PROS and CONS about living in Cebu or anywhere else in the Philippines.

Anyway, thank you again for your concern and advice. I will inform the members once we're ready to make the move. When I am able to post pictures (when I become a full member), I will. Cheers!