CFO or Passport First!

SkyMan

Incorrect, a Filipina leaving the country on an immigrant visa must have the CFO sticker in their visa or they will not be allowed to board the plane, whether they are married or not, and passport changed to their married name or not.

I think maybe he meant to say that emmigration isn't the only reason.

Do some googling and you wont find any (serious) Filipino initiative fighting this ridiculous and imbecilic process.

Filipinos don't tend to make waves, just accept and move on.  The reason there isn't an angry mob wanting to do away with this is 2 fold. First, it's a one time ordeal.  Once you've gone through it fighting to change it isn't going to help you but those behind you yet to do it.  It's their problem now.  Second, it effects very few.  Those emmigrating or married to foreign spouses and not even all of those.  The average dong in the street could care less and probably likes that those rich enough to emmigrate or marry a foreigner get inconvenienced.
  • Like 3
  • Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shadow

• spooks

• SkyMan

• ozboy

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think maybe he meant to say that emmigration isn't the only reason.  Filipinos don't tend to make waves, just accept and move on.  The reason there isn't an angry mob wanting to do away with this i

Very topical -- my wife is renewing her passport, so she had to do the CFO thing. We have travelled many times (with her old passport in her maiden name), no CFO certificate or sticker was needed.  

I stand corrected. Somehow I was under the impression that Oz had no actual fiance visa. Guess I better stick to US visas!     Larry in Dumaguete

Headshot

Second, it effects very few.  Those emmigrating or married to foreign spouses and not even all of those.  The average dong in the street could care less and probably likes that those rich enough to emmigrate or marry a foreigner get inconvenienced.

Well...that's not exactly correct. All female OFW's must go through it too.

• Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

Incorrect, a Filipina leaving the country on an immigrant visa must have the CFO sticker in their visa or they will not be allowed to board the plane, whether they are married or not, and passport changed to their married name or not.

I think maybe he meant to say that emmigration isn't the only reason.

That's exactly what I was trying to say.

Do some googling and you wont find any (serious) Filipino initiative fighting this ridiculous and imbecilic process.

Filipinos don't tend to make waves, just accept and move on.  The reason there isn't an angry mob wanting to do away with this is 2 fold. First, it's a one time ordeal.  Once you've gone through it fighting to change it isn't going to help you but those behind you yet to do it.  It's their problem now.  Second, it effects very few.  Those emmigrating or married to foreign spouses and not even all of those.  The average dong in the street could care less and probably likes that those rich enough to emmigrate or marry a foreigner get inconvenienced.

And thus nothing gets changed so why bother in the first place. I suppose they should just go on and keep collecting from the highest bidder for their vote and leave all of that complicated stuff to the law makers to sort out for them. Surely, they always have their best interest in mind.

I beg to differ, a few Filipinos stood up and made waves during EDSA 1, 2 and 3.

The CFO is absolutely useless. It might have good intentions, but it really falls short of implementing said intentions. So my point is our Filipino partners should do something about attempting to effect change there, and in other areas wherever they can. I'm sure back before there were any laws against battering women a lot of women said, "Well, they are going to do it to us anyway so why bother trying to make it illegal?"

ed villas

perhaps a female someday will make it known that this is violating their human rights

this seems to a waste of time for those who want to move on yet the oppressive system still treats their "heros" like slaves.

• Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

Oh but its so very important and effective. They teach them about airport check in and baggage allowances. International roaming sim cards.  And the oh ever so important topic of: How to do remittances to the Philippines!

In the case of married women emigrating, some dusty nun also tells them, "When you get there in that country don't just take off on your husband." Geez, I'm sure the girls who were plotting this for years are going to see the light and change their intent based on that.

shadow

Oh but its so very important and effective. They teach them about airport check in and baggage allowances. International roaming sim cards.  And the oh ever so important topic of: How to do remittances to the Philippines!

In the case of married women emigrating, some dusty nun also tells them, "When you get there in that country don't just take off on your husband." Geez, I'm sure the girls who were plotting this for years are going to see the light and change their intent based on that.

There is no longer nuns involved in the CFO seminar, dusty or otherwise.

SkyMan

The CFO is absolutely useless. It might have good intentions, but it really falls short of implementing said intentions

Pretty much describes most gov't programs in any country.

I'm sure back before there were any laws against battering women a lot of women said, "Well, they are going to do it to us anyway so why bother trying to make it illegal?"

Well, abuse like that isn't a one time thing.  Those abused would be motivated to join in stopping future incidents.  The CFO is a one time ordeal.  I agree it's a stupid waste of time and money but it will be hard to do anything about it.  The gov't can now point to the CFO program as one of the things they are doing to prevent HT.  It doesn't really matter if it has a bit of effect on HT or not.
  • Like 1