CFO or Passport First!

Very topical -- my wife is renewing her passport, so she had to do the CFO thing. We have travelled many times (with her old passport in her maiden name), no CFO certificate or sticker was needed.

My wife is very clever, especially when it comes to dealing with gov apparatchiks. She waltzed into the CFO around 10:30 AM, signed up for the 2 PM class, we had lunch, she went to her class and I came home. She got home shortly after 5 PM with her certificate.

The real horror is the DFA. People do line up at 4 AM just to get an application form(!). Civilized countries allow you to download the PDF. Once the application form is completed (properly accomplished in Filipino), one must line up again to get a PRIORITY number. Its significance eludes the most astute students of bureaucratic process, since it is good only for gaining admission to hallowed halls of the DFA document checkers. No priority or sequence is implied. These people must be paid by the number of applications they refuse to accept for processing because they are hell bent on asking for documents you do not have with you. ("Your marriage Certificate says your husband marital status is "Divorced". Do you have a copy of his previous marriage certificate and his divorce decree?" "Of course." "His birth certificate?" "Would a couple of his passports suffice, in lieu of a foreign-language birth certificate you cannot possibly understand?" "Oh, OK..."

My wife had all kinds of documents -- birth certificate and marriage certificate (both issued by the NSO and authenticated by the DFA with a golden seal and red ribbons), but NOOOOO, you cannot use a DFA-authenticated NSO document at the DFA. Another couple had the temerity to show up with the aforementioned documents laminated! Fekkin' criminals...

One long line after another. I remember standing and sitting in line for something called "Encoding". Why can't these asswipes process paper instead of people??? They kept my wife there from 8 AM until 5 PM. No food or even a bottle of water is allowed inside. What right do these terrorists have to imprison people under such inhumane conditions?

BTW, I recently renewed my US passport. It took about 10 minutes to submit a completed application I downloaded. I also just renewed my EU passport. It took about 10 minutes to submit a completed application I downloaded. (Both are good for 10 years.) In the Philippines, they enjoy dealing with the unwashed hoards...

Edited by Ungaro
  • Like 2
  • Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shadow

• spooks

• SkyMan

• ozboy

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think maybe he meant to say that emmigration isn't the only reason.  Filipinos don't tend to make waves, just accept and move on.  The reason there isn't an angry mob wanting to do away with this i

Very topical -- my wife is renewing her passport, so she had to do the CFO thing. We have travelled many times (with her old passport in her maiden name), no CFO certificate or sticker was needed.  

I stand corrected. Somehow I was under the impression that Oz had no actual fiance visa. Guess I better stick to US visas!     Larry in Dumaguete

Headshot

ok my wife just got back from CFO here is what happened...

1. Arrived at CFO at 6.45am, no one around so she tried the doors n they were open. She went inside and only 1 lady there. She signed in the log book where only 4 had already signed. The guard let us in and my wife asked where everyone was?

he said having breakfast mam!

2. 7.15am We get the priority numbers. 7.30am fixer arrived but my wife pointed out that she signed in herself so no 300p.

3. 7.30 numbers are called. We then hand in our papers then sit down again. Then they call you up to get new forms filled in. Then you are seated again.

4. 1 hour of sitting then you are called to check your details on computer if its correct and take a photo. Then sit again till they call you up again to pay 400p.

5. Its now 12 noon so outside for lunch return at 1pm.

6. so now let into seminar room watching a video of pros n cons of living overseas for 1 hour.

7. 2pm. Seminar starts about general safety abroad n how to deal with problems, cultural issues, climate etc. Also centrelink info and opening bank accounts etc.

8. 5pm Seminar finished. Go sit in waiting area for 1 on 1 interview where they interrogate you about your relationship.

9. 40 mins interview n you get your certificate.size of big bank cheque with terrible photo quality.

NOTE: Sponsored/petitioned US, Canadian, UK relatives can attend separate seminar that starts at 10am. everyday.

Another surprise which im dubious about they told us is the new policy in Oz is if you have lived as a married couple for 3 years in the philippines then the 2 year temporary visa for your wife is waivered and she can get permanent residency from immigration in oz. So all benefits like unimployment, citizenship etc is automatically in effect..Hope to Christ this is correct.

If they let you stay there with your wife, then that is a huge change for the better. It doesn't sound like they gave your wife much hassle.

No i never went, sorry i used the term ''WE'' meant her...But there were 2 other male partners there but they left n went to a entertain themseves. as far as i know partners were allowed to stay in the waiting room.

Ungaro not doubting your wifes experience but how did she manage to waltz in at 10.30am when 7.15am is when priority numbers are given out and the process starts. For Aussies only 12 people n there were alot turned away.....

So she bypassed the video session and just attended the 2pm seminar? And if she came home shortly after 5pm, then you must live nearby cos the Seminar ends at 5pm then you must have a 1on1 private interview for 30-45mins before you get your certificate.

Just curious in case anyone else thinks they can also do that!!!!

Edited by ozboy
SkyMan
If they let you stay there with your wife, then that is a huge change for the better.
How is that an improvement? Why would I want to be in there? It's bad enough having to sit and wait watch a bunch of BS of no real value just to check off some bureaucrat's box is bad enough but having to sit and watch someone else do it? No way. "Have fun honey. I'd take you but it's easier for you to take a jeep and you know there's no parking there anyway."
Headshot

How is that an improvement? Why would I want to be in there? It's bad enough having to sit and wait watch a bunch of BS of no real value just to check off some bureaucrat's box is bad enough but having to sit and watch someone else do it? No way. "Have fun honey. I'd take you but it's easier for you to take a jeep and you know there's no parking there anyway."

It is a loosening of the rules. Anytime they do that, it is a good thing. Most of the mystique about the CFO seminar before was that the nuns got the wife or fiance or OFW off by themselves and told them the horrible things that were bound to happen to her. Ozboy's post also says that they had no problem getting a spot when they arrived later than 4 AM. That is certainly good news. I didn't catch whether or not the seminar filled up at some point though. That would be good to know for a lot of people having to go through this. I agree with you in that I didn't really want to be there either...and you are correct that there is no parking. They should move this to Pacific Mall to be near the DFA, so there IS parking and so the two places are convenient to each other. But then...that may be too much to hope for.

Edited by Headshot
SkyMan
Most of the mystic about the CFO seminar before was that the nuns got the wife or fiance or OFW off by themselves and told them the horrible things that were bound to happen to her.
That was self defense really. I'm sure that had the SOs of the girls been allowed in with the Nazi nuns they would have lost quite a few.They were absolutely inappropriate in the questions they asked and not infrequently brought the girls to tears. I'm pretty sure I'd have made some of my own inappropriate remarks had I been there.
They should move this to Pacific Mall to be near the DFA, so there IS parking and so the two places are convenient to each other. But then...that may be too much to hope for.
That would be a great idea so forget it. Actually, I have to say I was pretty surprised when back in Ohio and the county I was in actually relocated the vehicle Title Office (run by the state) and the Driver's License, Plate, and Registration Office (run by the revenue department) into the same building. Miracles do happen.
  • Like 1
spooks

I saw on the web page about bringing in authenticated copies of the NSO certs. I was under the impression that all copies of those certs from the NSO are already authenticated. Is anything else needed?

Also if a pinay is just changing her name and not emigrating which day does she attend as it is non geographic!

The ball buster is that little line to bring your documents plus 'other' documents without stipulating what the 'other' documents are!! Anyone take a list of what they believed would be the 'Other' documents and had any issues etc

thanks

Ungaro not doubting your wifes experience but how did she manage to waltz in at 10.30am when 7.15am is when priority numbers are given out and the process starts. For Aussies only 12 people n there were alot turned away.....

She did not (have to) watch any videos. I don't know what she did, because I was left out in the waiting room. She came out with her "priority" number and asked me to go fetch some food from Chow King so she could eat before the seminar started at 2 PM. As for getting out early, we have a system for that. The certificates are ready about one hour before the final bell. She approaches the keeper of certificates as soon as they are ready and asks for hers (probably claiming some manner of medical emergency). This is what we did at our premarital seminar, too.

Edited by Ungaro
cebubird

"Scuse my ignorance-what does CFO stand for?

My wife had to go to this seminar to get her fiance visa. The certificate was inserted in her package of documents when we entered the US.

When we came back here, she got a new passport in her married name, and nothing was said about this seminar certificate.

What I am understanding here, is that she will have to do this again whenever we decide to visit another country.

Is this correct? I realize this is the Philippines-but this seems like another "head-shaker" to me.(as in shaking head in amazement)

I saw on the web page about bringing in authenticated copies of the NSO certs. I was under the impression that all copies of those certs from the NSO are already authenticated. Is anything else needed?

No. Only the NSO certs are needed in their pristine original, unlaminated, unspoiled, unmarred and unmutilated form. Should you have a need to use any NSO cert abroad (e.g.: for registering your blessed nuptials with the local registrar), then your NSO cert must be authenticated by the DFA in Manila. You will receive the original NSO cert back, with a DFA authentication certificate affixed, bearing a gold seal and red ribbons.

Also if a pinay is just changing her name and not emigrating which day does she attend as it is non geographic!

The seminar is for potential as well as actual emigrants. The session she should attend is governed by the nationality of the husband. If the husband is from Tajikistan, it is not likely that the wife will emigrate to the US (as much as she might want to).

As for "other documents"... On our local marriage certificate my previous marital status was listed as divorced. My perspicacious asawa had the uncanny foresight to ask me for my previous marriage certificate and the official, final divorce decree before approaching the grand poobahs of the CFO. These documents were indeed needed... God only knows why. I had to procure an "Affidavit of Legal Capacity to Marry" from the US Consulate before securing a marriage license. Of course, none of this precludes having six wives in Tanzania and four in Eritrea.

An afterthought: if you have been in local traffic you already know that pinoys have a healthy disrespect for laws, rules, regulations, ethics and even most basic confines of human decorum. These exist to keep the otherwise unemployable, unskilled riff-raff gainfully employed, just like the TSA officers in the US. The circumstances call for a strategy of treating them with the utmost respect, deference to their exalted position, and then doing what you gotta do.

As I wrote in a previous essay, the CFO is a cake walk. Real men, who like to be challenged, tackle issues like securing a passport for a mother-in-law whose birth certificate is in error (first name: "Yulanda", all other officials documents: "Yolanda"). You see, this administrative snafu must first be reconciled with the annals Roman Catholic Church, said reconciliation must be blessed by the then-current Pope, then municipal records must be corrected and said corrections submitted to the NSO. Once the NSO issues forth the corrected birth certificate, only then can the process of applying for a passport commence. The best case estimate for the time required to correct the church and local records is six months ("normal processing time"), possibly a year or more. The cost is several thousand pesos. You want some of that? Do you, punk???

Edited by Ungaro
  • Like 1

"Scuse my ignorance-what does CFO stand for?

Suggest you read the replies on this thread. Asked and answered at least twice.

she will have to do this again whenever we decide to visit another country

No. The certificate is for people intending to emigrate. Routine travel (business or pleasure) is excluded from the requirement. Even if you change your mind about where you wish to emigrate to, all you need is a sticker to be affixed (by the CFO) to your certificate.

spooks

"As I wrote in a previous essay, the CFO is a cake walk. Real men, who like to be challenged, tackle issues like securing a passport for a mother-in-law whose birth certificate is in error (first name: "Yulanda", all other officials documents: "Yolanda"). You see, this administrative snafu must first be reconciled with the annals Roman Catholic Church, said reconciliation must be blessed by the then-current Pope, then municipal records must be corrected and said corrections submitted to the NSO. Once the NSO issues forth the corrected birth certificate, only then can the process of applying for a passport commence. The best case estimate for the time required to correct the church and local records is six months ("normal process).

Not any more new law just passed allows local registrar where the original was lodged to change spelling and gender errors for very small fees

Edited by spooks

new law just passed allows local registrar where the original was lodged to change spelling and gender errors for very small fees

Excellent news, Spooks! Here is a reference: http://www.manilatimes.net/index.php/dear-pao/23050-ra-9048-allows-corrections-in-birth-certificate

Edited by Ungaro
shadow

Excellent news, Spooks! Here is a reference: http://www.manilatim...rth-certificate

Unfortunately, RA 9048 only helps if the error is in the first name, not surnames, gender, etc.

"Correction of clerical or typographical errors in an entry in civil registry documents, except corrections involving the change in sex, age, nationality and status of a person.

(A clerical or typographical error refers to an obvious mistake committed in clerical work, either in writing, copying, transcribing, or typing an entry in the civil register that is harmless and innocuous, such as a misspelled name or misspelled place of birth and the like, and can be corrected or changed only by reference to other existing record or records.)

• Change of a person's first name in his/her civil registry document under certain grounds specified under the law through administrative process."

There is a bill in congress now that allows further corrections to be done at the LCR level, but it is being fought by the gay community, who claim it discriminates against them because it requires an accredited doctor's authorization that the person was born of "X" gender.

So for now, most persons with errors on their birth certificate (there are many) must petition the court and get a judge to amend the birth certificate, a time consuming and expensive process.

You do not mention WHERE or WHEN your girl went through the CFO seminar (or maybe I missed it)?

Larry in Dumaguete

Edited by shadow

You do not mention WHERE or WHEN your girl went through the CFO seminar (or maybe I missed it)?

The old DFA blg on Lapu Lapu St. in Colon, just last week.

Edited by Ungaro