CFO or Passport First!

Not sure what else the could ask for. My wife had to go back twice for things such as a complete copy of my passport and every piece of paper we needed to get married which luckily I still had. Like the lovely health seminar and the marriage seminar certificates.

Ok, how about (petitioners);

Tax returns

How much he makes

How long he has worked at his job

Passport stamps showing your entrances and exits to the Philippines

I-134 affidavit of support

Landline phone number

Work phone number of petitioner

Background and work history of the petitioner's parents

Mother's maiden name

Number of marriages of Father

So far, it does not sound like an improvement over the "dragonlady" at SMEF.

Larry in Dumaguete

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shadow

• spooks

• SkyMan

• ozboy

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think maybe he meant to say that emmigration isn't the only reason.  Filipinos don't tend to make waves, just accept and move on.  The reason there isn't an angry mob wanting to do away with this i

Very topical -- my wife is renewing her passport, so she had to do the CFO thing. We have travelled many times (with her old passport in her maiden name), no CFO certificate or sticker was needed.  

I stand corrected. Somehow I was under the impression that Oz had no actual fiance visa. Guess I better stick to US visas!     Larry in Dumaguete

Headshot

Tax returns

How much he makes

Landline phone number

Mother's maiden name

Larry in Dumaguete

That isn't strict. That is insane. I'm certainly glad we went through it a long time ago. My wife still had to be there at 5 AM, but most of what they asked her for made a little bit of sense...plus I sent every document I could think of with her (way more than they asked for on their website) because they had a reputation for asking for things not on the list. I think because my wife went in with a thick folder of documents, they hardly asked her for anything.

It sounds like they are going way beyond their charter now. The seminar was originally set up just to inform Filipinas what the possible consequences of going to a foreign country could be...to open their eyes so to speak. Now, it sounds like they are actually trying to throw up roadblocks to prevent Filipinas from leaving the Philippines.

I guess that is the natural progression for government though. Look at how many agencies and departments in the US government have gone so far outside their original charters that it is difficult to recognize that they are the same organization when compared with their early days. Once a government organization is in place, things tend to get more complicated and more draconian over time. What seems like a good idea in its original form can become a nightmare later on if the original charter is allowed to expand or is just pushed aside.

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 1

Odd my wife as far as i know never went to any seminar or got the CFO sticker and we have never had a problem traveling. What does the CFO sticker look like? anyone care to upload a pic of it.

Edited by samatm
  • Like 1
shadow

Odd my wife as far as i know never went to any seminar or got the CFO sticker and we have never had a problem traveling. What does the CFO sticker look like? anyone care to upload a pic of it.

The keyword may be "traveling". Theoretically as expressed in an earlier post the CFO is only required for those emigrating.

Larry in Dumaguete

SkyMan

Tax returns

How much he makes

Landline phone number

Mother's maiden name

Larry in Dumaguete

What if there is no petitioner? Like I said, my wife had to do the CFO just to get the passport in her married name and was not emigrating.
SkyMan

so u can be an OFW and not have to have a CFO?

Right because there's no foreign spouse involved. Kind of ridiculous really as in many cases it's really the OFW's who are at risk of abuse on their jobs. Edited by SkyMan
spooks

Ok so u cannot be an OFW if married to a foreigner lol So if an OFW gets married once overseas comes back to visit the famliy before returning as an OFW she now has to get a CFO? or will not be allowed to leave? Wonder how many married to foreigner female execs have trouble.

CEO to company secretary

"Please fly to KL and coordinate with Malaysian corp for take over"....

."Sorry boss cannot go as am not allowed to travel as no CFO sticker!!! "

"Whats that got to do with it, I am CEO and married and travel,"

"Yes, but you are not married to a foreigner!!" :wheel:

Edited by spooks
  • Like 1
shadow

What if there is no petitioner? Like I said, my wife had to do the CFO just to get the passport in her married name and was not emigrating.

Then I would assume they would want it from the husband. The CFO/Embassy etc. are much more strict on fiance visas than spousal, always have been.

Larry in Dumaguete

shadow

Ok so u cannot be an OFW if married to a foreigner lol So if an OFW gets married once overseas comes back to visit the famliy before returning as an OFW she now has to get a CFO? or will not be allowed to leave? Wonder how many married to foreigner female execs have trouble.

CEO to company secretary

"Please fly to KL and coordinate with Malaysian corp for take over"....

."Sorry boss cannot go as am not allowed to travel as no CFO sticker!!! "

"Whats that got to do with it, I am CEO and married and travel,"

"Yes, but you are not married to a foreigner!!" :wheel:

OFWs are considered immigrants, and as such are required to take the CFO before departure, just like spouses/fiances (although it is a lightly different seminar);

Larry in Dumaguete

spooks

OFWs are considered immigrants, and as such are required to take the CFO before departure, just like spouses/fiances (although it is a lightly different seminar);

Larry in Dumaguete

Larry are you sure? I know of several OFWs who went through the proper process and they never heard of CFO etc, no short cuts no sliding of envelopes Edited by spooks
shadow

Larry are you sure? I know of several OFWs who went through the proper process and they never heard of CFO etc, no short cuts no sliding of envelopes

Yup. Ask them about PDOS;

http://www.cfo.gov.ph/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1347:for-filipinos-leaving-the-country-with-an-immigrant-visa&catid=139

http://www.cfo.gov.ph/pdf/downloadable%20forms/CompanySponsored.pdf

http://www.smef-cow-phil.org/ (SMEF is no ,longer involved)

Larry in Dumaguete

• Like 1
samatm

The keyword may be "traveling". Theoretically as expressed in an earlier post the CFO is only required for those emigrating.

Larry in Dumaguete

We were married in Manila in 98. No seminar, no sticker , no problems. How long has the CFO step been in place. What does CFO stand for - meaning? She has traveled back and forth to the US several times on her own using her PI passport.. no probs. Honestly I was only faintly aware of the the CFO thing from a thread years back and hadn't thought about it since.

shadow

We were married in Manila in 98. No seminar, no sticker , no problems. How long has the CFO step been in place. What does CFO stand for - meaning? She has traveled back and forth to the US several times on her own using her PI passport.. no probs. Honestly I was only faintly aware of the the CFO thing from a thread years back and hadn't thought about it since.

The CFO seminar was initiated in 2005. Yes, things do change over the years.

CFO=Counsel on Filipinos Overseas.

Smef-cow= St. Mary's Euphrasia Foundation Center for Overseas Workers.

PDOS= Pre-Departure Orientation Seminar

GCP=Guidance and Counseling program

Larry in Dumaguete

• Like 1

ok my wife just got back from CFO here is what happened...

1. Arrived at CFO at 6.45am, no one around so she tried the doors n they were open. She went inside and only 1 lady there. She signed in the log book where only 4 had already signed. The guard let us in and my wife asked where everyone was?

he said having breakfast mam!

2. 7.15am We get the priority numbers. 7.30am fixer arrived but my wife pointed out that she signed in herself so no 300p.

3. 7.30 numbers are called. We then hand in our papers then sit down again. Then they call you up to get new forms filled in. Then you are seated again.

4. 1 hour of sitting then you are called to check your details on computer if its correct and take a photo. Then sit again till they call you up again to pay 400p.

5. Its now 12 noon so outside for lunch return at 1pm.

6. so now let into seminar room watching a video of pros n cons of living overseas for 1 hour.

7. 2pm. Seminar starts about general safety abroad n how to deal with problems, cultural issues, climate etc. Also centrelink info and opening bank accounts etc.

8. 5pm Seminar finished. Go sit in waiting area for 1 on 1 interview where they interrogate you about your relationship.

9. 40 mins interview n you get your certificate.size of big bank cheque with terrible photo quality.

NOTE: Sponsored/petitioned US, Canadian, UK relatives can attend separate seminar that starts at 10am. everyday.

Another surprise which im dubious about they told us is the new policy in Oz is if you have lived as a married couple for 3 years in the philippines then the 2 year temporary visa for your wife is waivered and she can get permanent residency from immigration in oz. So all benefits like unimployment, citizenship etc is automatically in effect..Hope to Christ this is correct.