CFO or Passport First!

My wife went to CFO to ask info about the seminar as she is applying for a passport under my/ her married name. This is what they told her...

They told her that she must attend seminar first before going to DFA for passport.

She had to be there by 7am but......people line up at 4am.....Mon n Wed for Aust plus only 12 slots available.

She said how could she make it as we live too far....The One in charge of zerox machine said he would line up for her n call him on his cell...Cost 300pesos....no big deal. The start of seminar is 2-5pm.

Now our Canadian Lady friend said no...you can go to DFA n get your passport before CFO

So which is true n is there any way we can not attend DFA like get a fixer because its too busy in there!

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shadow

• spooks

• SkyMan

• ozboy

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think maybe he meant to say that emmigration isn't the only reason.  Filipinos don't tend to make waves, just accept and move on.  The reason there isn't an angry mob wanting to do away with this i

Very topical -- my wife is renewing her passport, so she had to do the CFO thing. We have travelled many times (with her old passport in her maiden name), no CFO certificate or sticker was needed.  

I stand corrected. Somehow I was under the impression that Oz had no actual fiance visa. Guess I better stick to US visas!     Larry in Dumaguete

The law actually states that fiances and spouses of foreign nationals must take the CFO seminar before applying for a passport. However, this is often overlooked. You likely can find a travel agent who can make it happen without first taking the seminar. Regardless, at some point in time she will need to take the CFO seminar anyway, as she will not be allowed to board a plane for an overseas flight without the CFO sticker in her passport.

The CFO has recently (as in this month) undergone some radical changes in regards to the CFO seminar. For years the seminar has been conducted by the SMEF-COW nuns in Cebu or Manila, or Prism in Manila. This is no longer the case. CFO is now taking charge of the seminar.

In Cebu they have only 12 slots per day available. People are indeed lining up at 4 am to get into the seminar, and some are being turned away as all the slots for the day are already filled at 4 am.

There is some info here;

http://www.pinayvisa.com/the-cfo-seminar.html

Larry in Dumaguete

Ty for the link and I do not mind admitting it left me more confused than ever. SO an already married lady with a passport cannot leave the country without the sticker? should the lady need to renew her passport she can do so but not without a CFO sticker. Should the lady leave as a tourist on family vacation with return tickets etc this can be denied?

How on earth does a pinay who may well hold an executive position in a overseas corporation ever get to travel for business??

Edited by spooks

Thanks Larry

Yes seminar first so we contacted the guard just now n he will slot us in for 300 pesos as long as we are there at 7 latest as 7.15 is when numbers are handed out. So tomorrow.

Also with passports you must make a personal appearence so no fixers. Photos will be done at DFA.

Here we go!!!

Headshot

Ty for the link and I do not mind admitting it left me more confused than ever. SO an already married lady with a passport cannot leave the country without the sticker? should the lady need to renew her passport she can do so but not without a CFO sticker. Should the lady leave as a tourist on family vacation with return tickets etc this can be denied?

How on earth does a pinay who may well hold an executive position in a overseas corporation ever get to travel for business??

The CFO is there to save Filipinas from those evil foreigners. Yes, a married Filipina CAN be denied boarding if she does not have a CFO sticker. A single Filipina can also be denied. They checked my wife's sticker when we went to Hong Kong and back for a three-day vacation. All she needs to do is attend a stupid seminar where the plain-clothes nuns (yes...they ARE nuns) will ask her questions and tell her all the dangers and resources she has if she gets into trouble overseas. Then, she can fly out. She only has to do the seminar once. Then, provided she keeps the certificate, she can renew the sticker each time she renews her passport.

An already married lady (to a foreigner) will need to have the sticker in order to leave as an IMMIGRANT. Theoretically, this does not apply to tourist travel, however, there have been reports of persons being turned away at the airport. For instance Australia has no fiance visa, so if one tries to go to Oz on a tourist visa they may likely assume she is going to marry some nice rich Ozzie, and deny her boarding.

The easy solution is to take the seminar. It only needs taken once. Problem solved.

Larry in Dumaguete

(yes...they ARE nuns)

No more nuns. See my previous post and follow the link. However, the way it is starting out with the CFO doing it makes those strict nuns look like angels!

Larry in Dumaguete

Headshot

No more nuns. See my previous post and follow the link. However, the way it is starting out with the CFO doing it makes those strict nuns look like angels!

Larry in Dumaguete

Oh goody...don't you just love improvements? I wonder how they're doing that? CFO has never had a budget for the seminars (which was why the nuns did it in the first place...well, that and the fact that the whole thing was dreamed up by the nuns in the first place). In today's economy, I wonder how CFO managed to get money to do it themselves.

Theoretically, this does not apply to tourist travel, however, there have been reports of persons being turned away at the airport.
My wife had to do the CFO in order to get her passport in her married name. They wouldn't release the passport to her without it and that was before getting any visa. I think there will soon be a big log jam at the CFO if they can only do 12 a day. Is the situation any better in Manila? Is there anywhere else that can do the CFO?

Yes Aust has a fiancee visa..

I stand corrected. Somehow I was under the impression that Oz had no actual fiance visa. Guess I better stick to US visas!

;)

Larry in Dumaguete

• Like 1
Headshot

My wife had to do the CFO in order to get her passport in her married name. They wouldn't release the passport to her without it and that was before getting any visa. I think there will soon be a big log jam at the CFO if they can only do 12 a day. Is the situation any better in Manila? Is there anywhere else that can do the CFO?

I think the Cebu CFO has always had a limit of 12. That was the way it was when my wife went through it.

As it stands now, one can only do the CFO at Cebu and Manila CFO offices. Cebu has a quota of 12 per day, Manila has about 30 slots per day using different shifts. This is for US visas only, other countries have their own slots.

Regardless, the US embassy processes over 100 fiance and spousal visas per day, there is going to be a problem here. Evidently math is not a strong point of the CFO.

CFO is also being very strict so far, requiring things even the dragonlady nuns did not. Many are being sent home and told to "come back next week" (and be in line at 4 am again). We spent most of this weekend researching everything that the may possibly ask for in order to prepare a client for them this week. At this rate, a huge backlog is inevitable, and people will have to be in line days ahead of time.

Isn't progress wonderful? It's more fun in the Philippines!

Larry in Dumaguete

CFO is also being very strict so far, requiring things even the dragonlady nuns did not.
Not sure what else the could ask for. My wife had to go back twice for things such as a complete copy of my passport and every piece of paper we needed to get married which luckily I still had. Like the lovely health seminar and the marriage seminar certificates.

I think the Cebu CFO has always had a limit of 12. That was the way it was when my wife went through it.

15 has been the daily limit for a number of years in Cebu, while between PRISM and SMEFCOW in Manila could do as many as 100. In Cebu with a limit of 15 one had to be there early to assure a spot. Now at 4 am the quota is often already full. Bottom line is, less than a year ago it was NBI, then DFA, and now the CFO is a mess.

Larry in Dumaguete

• Like 1