Sign in to follow this  
Penguin

Money Gram, better than Xoom

paradise_me

I am using moneygram since last year. It is cheaper compare to Western Union. Moneygram offers discounts to frequent customers. You just need to check their website to get your member ID no. And you can also get an update thru emai if your money has been picked up. You can even transact moneygram thru online using your credit or debit cards or thru your bank account.

shamgod41
Don't forget that Xoom, and all the others, hit you for the exchange rate! For Xoom it's P1 or 2.5%. That's an extra $25 on a thousand! Moneygram is about P.6.

Meaning xoom takes 1 peso on the dollar from the exchange rate?

What's the best deal then? xoom or moneygram? I know xoom's fees are lower for the amounts i send.

Mike S

That is correct ..... both Xoom and remithome get you on the exchange rate ..... just found this out when I sent myself some money to my savings account here in Cebu ........... beware .............. the rate ain't cheap at today's rate 1 peso per $1000 is $42.68 above the normal fee they charge you ......... and if you will notice if you send US $ the rate they charge per transaction is higher than their peso rate ........ $18 to send $ and then most banks in the RP charge you a fee of some $5-6 to handle the dollars ....... so you are back to $24 to send your money .........

Bob Ward
That is correct ..... both Xoom and remithome get you on the exchange rate ..... just found this out when I sent myself some money to my savings account here in Cebu ........... beware .............. the rate ain't cheap at today's rate 1 peso per $1000 is $42.68 above the normal fee they charge you ......... and if you will notice if you send US $ the rate they charge per transaction is higher than their peso rate ........ $18 to send $ and then most banks in the RP charge you a fee of some $5-6 to handle the dollars ....... so you are back to $24 to send your money .........

Uncle Mikey, you gotta read the whole thread! LOLOL

http://www.livingincebuforums.com/inde...ost&p=37916

Mike S

Ooooooooops sorry about that Bob ....... with this damn dial-up I cut as many corners as I can ........... :lol: :lol:

TLH
I don't see Money Gram mentioned here as a way to send money. It sure beats Western Union and even Xoom.

Money Gram charges less than $10 to send any amount up to $500(or more) and you can send it from any Wal-Mart. Pick up is easy at many different pawnshops and banks. The exchange rate is better than Xoom.

I also use Money Gram when sending funds to the Philippines, the only negative is that Western Union pays a bit more on the exchange rate but it also costs more when using WU

Thanks TLH :why-me:

wallyperrier

i always used xoom, here from belgium

because all the others dont work for us here,

most sites are made for usa

J C
Been using Xoom for a while now but check out this site .... signed up but haven't used them yet ...... $10 flat to anywhere in the Phils

http://www.remithome.com/remithome/common/...eyword%2Bsearch

Hi! I compared Xoom vs Remithome! Xoom seems to have better exchange rate! I'm still in the states; coming in two weeks, but it seems to me that I can remit my own money to myself online via either, so long as I maintain an account in the states! I have this via a joint account with my sister!

Hope this helps! Until I discovered these two services, I was really worried about bring my funds to PI!

jc

J C
Hi! I compared Xoom vs Remithome! Xoom seems to have better exchange rate! I'm still in the states; coming in two weeks, but it seems to me that I can remit my own money to myself online via either, so long as I maintain an account in the states! I have this via a joint account with my sister!

Hope this helps! Until I discovered these two services, I was really worried about bring my funds to PI!

jc

One mo' thang! XOOM has many more banks (seemingly all banks nat'l and local, including 24/7 pu) and pickups than Remithome (only two banks)!

jc

guamdoc

I had not needed to use my Xoom for about a year but I used it 2 times in the last month to send my sister in-law money for different things. Xoom now uses paypal and it's also a good way to send yourself money. If you have a verified paypal account back with a stateside bank it take all of 30 minutes for the money to be available.

For example had to send my house payment for my sister-in law to pay since my wife was in Japan and not close to PNB bank, we have one in Guam which makes it easy.

But the fees are a bit steep when you go over say 500 dollars. I'll have to check into moneygram.

This was my last XOOX transaction. Peso rate that day on yahoo was 48.4 something

Amount Received: 44,841.58 PHP

Exchange Rate: 47.2017

Amount Sent: 950.00 USD

Service Fee: 38.00 USD

Total Cost: 988.00 USD

Steve
I had not needed to use my Xoom for about a year but I used it 2 times in the last month to send my sister in-law money for different things. Xoom now uses paypal and it's also a good way to send yourself money. If you have a verified paypal account back with a stateside bank it take all of 30 minutes for the money to be available.

For example had to send my house payment for my sister-in law to pay since my wife was in Japan and not close to PNB bank, we have one in Guam which makes it easy.

But the fees are a bit steep when you go over say 500 dollars. I'll have to check into moneygram.

This was my last XOOX transaction. Peso rate that day on yahoo was 48.4 something

Amount Received: 44,841.58 PHP

Exchange Rate: 47.2017

Amount Sent: 950.00 USD

Service Fee: 38.00 USD

Total Cost: 988.00 USD

Xoom using pay pal is nothing new, they've been using it since at least first quarter 2007. but yes, i agree, sending a large sum of money can be hefty in service fees. That's when the option of deductiong it from a bank account helps lower them. i think I've used moneygram once.

Balintawak

We use Xoom also. The rates is ok and available for pickup within 5-10 minutes. We`re very satisfied with that.

USMC-Retired

Well just so you know that WU is collecting taxes also from your transfer to the Philippines. I have boycotted WU because of this. It is taking money from the OFW families and giving it to the government. The others have not followed suit however there is a bill that will make this mandatory for all monies sent into the philippines.

Here is a link

Western union Tax

broden
Well just so you know that WU is collecting taxes also from your transfer to the Philippines. I have boycotted WU because of this. It is taking money from the OFW families and giving it to the government. The others have not followed suit however there is a bill that will make this mandatory for all monies sent into the philippines.

Here is a link

Western union Tax

that's gonna have to cut in to their business .. i wonder why they decided to be the trail blazer

Ken57

I've used Moneygram, Xoom, Western Union (in my stupid days) and several others. So far the easiest and cheapest was Xoom. More places to pick up the money.

In second place was Moneygram, but they just lost a bunch of outlets in the Cebu area so I stick with Xoom.