If your Globe DSL modem fails, you have to pay to have it replaced

Jim in Cebu

In the fine print on my September 15th Globe bill:

"Beginning September 6, 2012, a P1,000.00 fee will be charged for modem replacement service. This applies to modems for replacement beyond the initial 12-month worry-free warranty period."

dennis1105

In the fine print on my September 15th Globe bill:

"Beginning September 6, 2012, a P1,000.00 fee will be charged for modem replacement service. This applies to modems for replacement beyond the initial 12-month worry-free warranty period."

So, I guess the best thing to do is break your modem in the 11th month and have it replaced for free.
  • Like 2

So, I guess the best thing to do is break your modem in the 11th month and have it replaced for free.

Or tell them if they charge you for a new modem you'll cancel the service since you've completed the contract period.
CardiacKid
Here's the rub. The contracts I have seen now require a 24 month commitment.

24 month commitment with Globe Tattoo?

I know that PLDT have a 24 lock-in period, as far as I know Globe Tattoo is still 12 months

http://tattoo.globe....duct/wimax#faqs

6. What if I terminate my plan within the lock-in period?

Existing pre-termination fees still apply. If outside 12-month lock in period, no pre-termination

fees will be charged. If still within, the pre-termination fee is 2 x Monthly Service Fee P5,000.

Skywalker

Okay lets make this simple.

When you take out a contract with an ADSL provider, they offer a router. It will be the cheapest piece of shit that they can provide (free!)

Buy your own, it will be 100% more secure for a start, it will last for longer than 12 months, and it wont be lighter than a full cigarette pack.

• Like 1
Jim in Cebu

When you take out a contract with an ADSL provider, they offer a router. It will be the cheapest piece of shit that they can provide (free!)

Buy your own, it will be 100% more secure for a start, it will last for longer than 12 months, and it wont be lighter than a full cigarette pack.

Are any Cebu area members running their own ADSL modem connected to Globe? If so, please post the details. Thanks.

Davaoeno

Are we talking about a router or a modem ? PDLT never offered me a router- i bought my own. They did supply me with a modem, and then when i complained about it being slow they brought me a new free upgraded one. That was about 6 months ago

Are any Cebu area members running their own ADSL modem connected to Globe? If so, please post the details. Thanks.

I don't think you can buy your own modem. Well, you can buy one, but I doubt you can connect it to Globe. Maybe I'm wrong.
lazydays

Mmm, excuse my technical ignorance but what is the difference between a modem and a router.

I only have an external router, i guess the modem is built into the 'puter, or they are combined in the router.

Will give this a stab since I'm not a Tekkie. Modem picks up the broadband or cable or dsl connection and the router routes it to different puters. Thats my -2cents worth. Later, SB

• Like 2

The modem is the last thing before your ISP either the wire going out of your house in the case of DSL or in my case the signal to the ISPs tower. The modem can connect straight to your computer or to a router for multiple computers. A modem can also have a built in router.

• Like 2
hookedtothenet

And if you break your contract, what are they going to do, cut off your line and take back there broken modem, then you can go to another provider! LOL!

Skywalker

Okay, most PC's and laptops/netbooks have built in modems, so that you plug your computer directly to the telephone socket that is carrying the DSL signal.

However if you want wifi, or hardwire connections to multiple devices such as tablets, mobile 'smart' phones etc you need a wifi router.

A wifi router is a small box that has a built in modem that plugs into the telephone socket. Usually there are 4 cable sockets to hardwire your PC, or laptop/netbook, and there will be one or two small antennas which will provide wireless connectivity.

Okay, most PC's and laptops/netbooks have built in modems, so that you plug your computer directly to the telephone socket that is carrying the DSL signal. WRONG !! the modem that is build into laptops/netbooks is an analog modem and it will not understand DSL digital signals

However if you want wifi, or hardwire connections to multiple devices such as tablets, mobile 'smart' phones etc you need a wifi router.

A wifi router is a small box that has a built in modem that plugs into the telephone socket. Usually there are 4 cable sockets to hardwire your PC, or laptop/netbook, and there will be one or two small antennas which will provide wireless connectivity.

Noone answered this one From Jim in Cebu

"Are any Cebu area members running their own ADSL modem connected to Globe? If so, please post the details. Thanks."

I wonder if it is possible to go into a shop and buy a router with build in DSL modem, they are normally delivered by the ISP