Sign in to follow this  
pippolo

First time in Phi/Cebu need some infos ..

pippolo

Hi,

I'm a new member & I discover this interesting forum during my research for my next (first ..) trip to Philippines & I hope someone could give me few tips.

Just to describe a little bit myself & my needs, I'm not so young anymore to be a real backpacker, want a little of comforts (no more shared bathroom, want my own now ..:-)), AC if it's too hot, etc. ) without spending a lot, ready to go a little bit out of the beaten track IF it's not too difficult/complicated ..

I'm arriving in Cebu end of this month from Hong Kong at 3-4AM.

First question: As I'm arriving quite late (3-4AM) I really need an hotel booked (medium price, less than 2000 PHP) in a safe zone for foreigners (I like to walk ..)

Readying this forum I contacted & was "refused" by Apple Tree (FYI no-smoking rooms only & unfortunately I'm a smokers :-(( ), I'm thinking of Mango Park or NS Royal Pensione.

Any thoughts/suggestions (also other hotels)?

Is it easy to find a taxi at 4AM at the airport (I read about booths 375PHP to Cebu)?

How to change money at 4AM ?

Any suggestions for a little islands hopping ? Perhaps Bohol & then ??

I'm not a diver, looking for nature & possibly some beach time.

Any suggestions on where to go after Cebu ?

For the moment thinking about Borocay (yes I know touristy place..) & the terraced fields in Luzon.

Something less than 3 weeks in total flying back from Manila mid March.

Thanks in advance & Ciaooooooooo,

Luciano

Bob Ward

Maestro, your performances in the "Three Tenors" series were provicimo!

Get Pesos in HKK.

Go to Palawan versus Boracay. Unless you just want the tourist party thing!

With the ferries, island hopping is a breeze.

Mango Park or NSR will do you fine.

At that hour you will not have much bargaining power over the taxis. If you act like you know what you are doing and tell them sternly, meter pluss P50 they will accomodate. If not just go to the next taxi. At that hour, who cares about P100 difference anyway!

carmelo

i will be in NS pension house on Feb 24 to Feb 28...i am coming from Kuwait with my family for vacation...

i already did my reservations..and in fact, i chose apple tree before but it is more expensive than NS pensione..plus

NS pension has free breakfast..

then we are going to Cagayan de Oro and back to Ginatilan, Cebu.

you can tag along if you want and if you don't mind having my 2 year old son around..=)

it's our town fiesta on March 10 and we will be having roasted pig..

then i'm going to dumaguete city..from here you can go to bohol by fast ferry...

going to palawan takes quite longer by boat..u can fly from bohol to manila then to palawan..

im not sure if there is a flight from cebu to palawan..

pippolo

Hi Bob & Carmelo,

Thanks a lot for you replies.

>>Maestro, your performances in the "Three Tenors" series were provicimo!

Unfortunately I'm the living proof that sharing the same name (& same nationality) is not enough to have the same skills ...

But if you need to break few glasses/eardrums I'm your man .. :-)) (not sure what do you mean with "provicimo" though ..)

>> Get Pesos in HKK.

Good idea, trying that.

>>Go to Palawan versus Boracay. Unless you just want the tourist party thing!

Boracay was only my idea of 3 or 4 days of "far niente", lazy beach time, not really interested in the "tourist party thing".

If you've suggestion of a less touristy (& less expensive) place with nice beaches where relax & do nothing few days I'll accept it.

Palawan seems interesting, I don't remember why I "excluded" it (I think was for the Abu Sayyaf 2001 thing) but I checked again on the Foreign office website & it's not on the "exclusion" list. It's safe enough I suppose.

>>At that hour you will not have much bargaining power over the taxis. If you act like you know what you are doing and tell them >>sternly, meter pluss P50 they will accomodate. If not just go to the next taxi. At that hour, who cares about P100 difference anyway!

My worry was to be able to find a taxi, not really to bargain... at 4AM I've no force to do it.

Carmelo, Many Thanks for your offer but I think we'll miss each other, I'm arriving the 28/2 ..

So, for the moment plan is:

- couple of days in Cebu to "live" a little bit a Filipino city (I think is easier than Manila)

- Bohol (couple of days ?)

- possibly another 1 or 2 islands ( Bantayan ? Other ?) around Cebu

- Palawan

- Borocay ( ??)

- Nort Luzon terraced fields

Additional ideas/tips/destinations/etc. are really appreciated.

Thanks again & Ciaoooooooooooooo,

Luciano

Cebuned
Hi Bob & Carmelo,

Unfortunately I'm the living proof that sharing the same name (& same nationality) is not enough to have the same skills ...

But if you need to break few glasses/eardrums I'm your man .. :-)) (not sure what do you mean with "provicimo" though ..)

>> Get Pesos in HKK.

Good idea, trying that.

>>Go to Palawan versus Boracay. Unless you just want the tourist party thing!

Boracay was only my idea of 3 or 4 days of "far niente", lazy beach time, not really interested in the "tourist party thing".

If you've suggestion of a less touristy (& less expensive) place with nice beaches where relax & do nothing few days I'll accept it.

Palawan seems interesting, I don't remember why I "excluded" it (I think was for the Abu Sayyaf 2001 thing) but I checked again on the Foreign office website & it's not on the "exclusion" list. It's safe enough I suppose.

>>At that hour you will not have much bargaining power over the taxis. If you act like you know what you are doing and tell them >>sternly, meter pluss P50 they will accomodate. If not just go to the next taxi. At that hour, who cares about P100 difference anyway!

My worry was to be able to find a taxi, not really to bargain... at 4AM I've no force to do it.

Carmelo, Many Thanks for your offer but I think we'll miss each other, I'm arriving the 28/2 ..

So, for the moment plan is:

- couple of days in Cebu to "live" a little bit a Filipino city (I think is easier than Manila)

- Bohol (couple of days ?)

- possibly another 1 or 2 islands ( Bantayan ? Other ?) around Cebu

- Palawan

- Borocay ( ??)

- Nort Luzon terraced fields

Additional ideas/tips/destinations/etc. are really appreciated.

Thanks again & Ciaoooooooooooooo,

Luciano

hello and welcome to LIC Luciano,

Besides all the great info you've already recieved, I will add some myself..

Mango Park Hotel would be a wise choice, it's where we stay while in Cebu City and we like their service, rooms and baths, location, and what I always mention is there Roof Top swimming pool. Great place to take a relaxing swim or just lay back and relax after a long flight...

If I may suggest a place to visit, that offers alot to do and is easy to get to, you should take the time to visit MOALBOAL,CEBU.....

Most people belive this to be for divers only, but not true, it is a hidden gem as far as I'm concerned....For the non diver, still great snorkling also, nearby private type white sand beach, very resonably priced places to stay, very good restaurants, and the nightlife isn't bad either :)

If you do get to Moalboal, this is something I think you would like to look into, " Planet Action " It is an outdoors adventure type buisness, run by some very friendly people.... Here is a link to their site for you...

http://www.action-philippines.com/

Moalboal is only a 2 to 2 1/2 hour bus ride from the " South Bus Terminal " in Cebu City.....Going to and coming back is not a problem at all.

Hope this is some info that will help in your plannings...

Sincerely,

Ned and Margie

Bob Ward
Hi Bob & Carmelo,

But if you need to break few glasses/eardrums I'm your man .. :-))

(not sure what do you mean with "provicimo" though ..)

LOL on the singing skills issue!

Provisimo, I thought it was, is a common congratulatory word used to praise a performance, but I misused it any way now that I look at it. I've seen it used often in the states, but after more checking, does not seem to be used in Italy.

Scusare far piacere!

If there are flights coming in, there will be taxis there. You could also arrange something with Danny Noy, a trusted and well like Filipino Taxi owner, by the expat community here! www.cebutaxiservice.com

Edited by Bob Ward

Alan S

I am slightly surprised that no-one has mentioned Leyte.

Only a short boat ride from Cebu, and plenty to see.

pippolo

Hi Bob

Provisimo, I thought it was, is a common congratulatory word used to praise a performance, but I misused it any way now that I look at it. I've seen it used often in the states, but after more checking, does not seem to be used in Italy.

Scusare far piacere!

I suppose it's "Bravissimo" (same root of english/french "brave"), but could not be used in the context you used (should be something like: Maestro, your performances in the "Three Tenors" series were exceptional, Bravissimo!).

You teach me about Cebu & I teach you about Italian... :-))

Ned, Margie & Alan Thanks for the tips on MOALBOAL & Leyte, going to check that !!

Just a last question to check I got it right. As I wrote I like to walk in a city to feel it.

My understanding is that downtown (Colon area) is safe during the day, but perhaps a little dangerous at night.

Not that I going out with something that I could not afford to loose .. perhaps the camera ..

Thanks All for your help/advice,

Luciano

Bob Ward
Just a last question to check I got it right. As I wrote I like to walk in a city to feel it.

My understanding is that downtown (Colon area) is safe during the day, but perhaps a little dangerous at night.

Not that I going out with something that I could not afford to loose .. perhaps the camera ..

Thanks All for your help/advice,

Luciano

Your perception of Colon is pretty good. I walked that area as late/early as 4am, but I stayed on the main streets where there is plenty of lighting and people around. I was staying at the GV Tower Hotel and was just wandering around to some of the Kareoke bars in the area. But I don't reccomend it to those who are faint of heart and or have no knowledge of the Philippines.

The camera would be the least of your worries if worse came to worse. You would wind up naked in the park, or the morgue, if you feel the need to take that option, call me and I will go with you. There is safety in numbers and I know enough Cebuano to get by.

Edited by Bob Ward

Bob Ward
I suppose it's "Bravissimo" (same root of english/french "brave"), but could not be used in the context you used (should be something like: Maestro, your performances in the "Three Tenors" series were exceptional, Bravissimo!).

Ti prego scusa la mia ignoranza riguardo alla parola "bravissimo". Sono solo uno sciocco Americano che tentava di fare il simpatico. Provero' a fare di meglio in futuro. I miei migliori auguri per il tuo viaggio a Cebu. Io provero' ad aiutarti per quanto posso. O qualcosa del genere!

Mike S

" You would wind up naked in the park, or the morgue. If you feel the need to take that option, call me and I will go with you."

Hummmmmm ...... Bob you might want to rephrase that offer ....... could lead people to the wrong conclusion ....... :):D:lol: :lol: Just a thought ...... before Em sees it

CaptainJackson

Bob,

I'm sure your ignorance is excused, and you are FAR from stupid.

Mike,

I wouldn't pick on Bob for offering to walk with a new member at night in the Colon area, but you.....

Oh yeah. I would jump all over that. :)

Edited by CaptainJackson

pippolo

Hi Bob,

Ti prego scusa la mia ignoranza riguardo alla parola "bravissimo". Sono solo uno sciocco Americano che tentava di fare il simpatico. Provero' a fare di meglio in futuro. I miei migliori auguri per il tuo viaggio a Cebu. Io provero' ad aiutarti per quanto posso. O qualcosa del genere!

I'm Sorry & you're right .. My reply was a little bit too pedantic/professorial ..It wasn't my intentions at all to insult you or something similar ..

I suppose is my IT support background that kicks in .. If there is a question/problem provide an answer/solution & be precise (too much sometime) ..

Well I made a smart arse of myself, what could I say ??

Sorry again for the misunderstanding & Thanks again for your valuable infos.

Ciaooooooooo,

Luciano

Bob Ward
Hi Bob,

I'm Sorry & you're right .. My reply was a little bit too pedantic/professorial ..It wasn't my intentions at all to insult you or something similar ..

I suppose is my IT support background that kicks in .. If there is a question/problem provide an answer/solution & be precise (too much sometime) ..

Well I made a smart arse of myself, what could I say ??

Sorry again for the misunderstanding & Thanks again for your valuable infos.

Ciaooooooooo,

Luciano

Wait a second, hold the press! As you might guess, I had an Italian friend do the translation, some of you will remember halfluke. What I wrote for him was in no way an admonishment. So something got lost in the translation, literally!

This would be a good lesson for us all when it comes to trying to communicate with Filipinos, sometimes it just does not translate well, or the translator is faulty. Joke for halfluke!!!

Here is what I asked him to translate - Please excuse my lack of knowledge about the word bravissimo. I am just a silly American who tried to be funny. I will try to be more profficient in the future. Best wishes on your trip to Cebu. I will help as much as I can. But I think he imbellished a bit if you took it as an admonishment. Sorry!!

So Mike, what is wrong with two new friends walking in the park naked? You are killing me!!!!! LOL

Edited by Bob Ward

pippolo

Hi again Bob,

Here is what I asked him to translate - Please excuse my lack of knowledge about the word bravissimo. I am just a silly American who tried to be funny. I will try to be more profficient in the future. Best wishes on your trip to Cebu. I will help as much as I can. But I think he imbellished a bit if you took it as an admonishment. Sorry!!

Ouf, I'm happy that was me that I misunderstood :-))

I simply read it in the wrong way like you didn't like my "teaching" ... :-)))

Wait a second, hold the press! As you might guess, I had an Italian friend do the translation, some of you will remember halfluke. What I wrote for him was in no way an admonishment. So something got lost in the translation, literally!

This would be a good lesson for us all when it comes to trying to communicate with Filipinos, sometimes it just does not translate well, or the translator is faulty. Joke for halfluke!!!

Halfluke translate it very well, I was going to ask you which translator you were using, surely wasn't Babelfish :-))

And as you could see we (or at least me ..) could have problems also using your own mothertongue ... disanvantage of internet communication, you couldn't see the other guy face .. :-)))

Thanks again & Ciaooooooooo,

Luciano

P.S.: I own you a couple of beers for all your advices, when you want !!

Bob Ward
P.S.: I own you a couple of beers for all your advices, when you want !!

I up for that. We'll do the drinking at some seedy bar in Colon. LOL

pippolo
I up for that. We'll do the drinking at some seedy bar in Colon. LOL

Yes, which bar :) ? The "Morgue" or the "Naked in the park" one :wacko: ??

Ciaoooooooooo,

Luciano

proliteguy

I have just come back from Cebu and Bohol. I could not get away quick enough for what is a truly awful place. The aiport is a hunting ground for people looking to squeeze anything they can from a tourist in everyway possible. Dont even think about getting in a taxi without him putting on the meter and dont be fooled by people who tell you they are a taxi when its actually a private car and they try to charge you 4 times the normal price.

The place is filthy where ever you go and the people live like caged animals, yes this will give you a true Cebu city feeling.

The standard of buildings is a joke of the highest order, Lancaster apartments would be a good example.

Most things you see on the web are nothing like it when you get there, I reckon photoshop do a booming business training people how to edit computer images.

Back to the aiport what a joke of a place this is, their idea of tourist information is to see how they can rip you off by getting you to stay at one of the reccomended dodgy hotels they promote, all without brochures just A4 or A5 paper showing rates and descriptions that even Harry Potter would be proud of. The tour guides in Bohol only know one place, Chocolate hills and churches !!!

In general the people are down right dodgy. Ask someone the same question 5 times and you will get 5 different answers.They all know soneone who can help you.

Food, well what food ?, I think their idea of good food is a can of spam and pork scratchings, buying fresh fruit ot vegtables in a supermarket is a joke, they would not feed that quality as pig food in most countries. If you like you food served within say 15 minutes then dont bother, it takes forever and is always cold. They try to cook chinese vegtables as a side dish and use flour to thicken the sauce and destroy the flavour. I think the Americans have a lot to answer for, for the truly awful choice of food ( all with ketchup or mayo ) and the way that most people are over weight by the time they are 16.

What country in the world sell gin cheaper than water, has people living in shacks without water or drainage. Claims to be so holy and god fearing yet their national sport is cock fighting.

I have never seen so many old, western, overweight weird looking men getting married to what look like 12 year old girls half as tall as they are, maybe it was me but I think the only thing the men had missing was DODGY tatooed on their foreheads.

People make Cebu and Bohol to be a truly tranquil holiday location, it will never come close to anything in Asia, this palce is like Bombay on bad day and having travelled most of the world, this place has to be the most deceptive rip off joint known to mankind.

Edited by proliteguy

Bob Ward

OK Captain, I'm doing my best, my very best but I'm getting weak! LOLOLOL

I'm not gonna hit ya.

I'm not gonna hit ya.

Like hell I'm not... !"

John Wayne classic!

Edited by Bob Ward