Foreigners acquiring Filipino citizenship

• Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

As a mode of initially acquiring Philippine citizenship, naturalization is governed by Commonwealth Act No. 473, also known as the Revised Naturalization Law, and by Republic Act No. 530.[10] C.A. 473 repealed the former Naturalization Law, Act No. 2927.

Mode of initially acquiring citizenship

To be naturalized, an applicant has to prove that he possesses all the qualifications and none of the disqualification provided by law to become a Filipino citizen.[12]

Qualifications for naturalization

Section 2 of Act 473 provides the following qualifications:[13]

He must be not less than 21 years of age on the day of the hearing of the petition;

He must have resided in the Philippines for a continuous period of not less than ten years;

He must be of good moral character and believes in the principles underlying the Philippine Constitution, and must have conducted himself in a proper and irreproachable manner during the entire period of his residence in the Philippines in his relation with the constituted government and well as with the community in which he is living;

He must own real estate in the Philippines worth not less than five thousand pesos, Philippine currency, or must have some known lucrative trade, profession, or lawful occupation;

He must be able to speak and write English or Spanish and any of the principal languages; and

He must have enrolled his minor children of school age, in any of the public schools or private schools recognized by the Bureau of Private Schools of the Philippines where Philippine history, government and civic are taught or prescribed as part of the school curriculum, during the entire period of the residence in the Philippines required of him prior to the learning of his petition for naturalization as Philippine citizen.

Disqualifications for naturalization

Section 4 of Act 473 provides the following disqualifications:[14]

He must not be opposed to organized government or affiliated with any association or group of persons who uphold and teach doctrines opposing all organized governments;

He must not be defending or teaching the necessity or propriety of violence, personal assault, or assassination for the success and predominance of their ideas;

He must not be polygamist or believer in the practice of polygamy;

He must not have been convicted of any crime involving moral turpitude;

He must not be suffering from mental alienation or incurable contagious diseases;

He must have, during the period of his residence in the Philippines (of not less than six months before filing his application), mingled socially with the Filipinos, or who have not evinced a sincere desire to learn and embrace the customs, traditions and ideal s of the Filipinos;

He must not be a citizen or subject of a nation with whom the Philippines is at war, during the period of such war;

He must not be citizen or subject of foreign country whose laws do not grant Filipinos the right to become naturalized citizens or subjects thereof.

Procedure

The decision granting Philippine citizenship becomes executory only after two (2) years from its promulgation when the court is satisfied that during the intervening period, the applicant has (1) not left the Philippines; (2) has dedicated himself to a lawful calling or profession; (3) has not been convicted of any offense or violation of Government promulgated rules; or (4) committed any act prejudicial to the interest of the nation or contrary to any Government announced policies.[15]

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SkyMan

• spooks

• smokey

• Mr.T

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I heard that Paul applied but failed on the 2 language requirement - his Cebuano was passable but nobody could understand his English!

RA 9319 is to provide for certain aliens who were born in the Phil and meet certain other requirements to become citizens thru a simple procedure. . I dont believe that it has anything to do with fo

Under Section 2 of the Revised Naturalization Law the applicant must possess the following qualifications: He/she must not be less than twenty-one (21) years of age on the day of the hearing of the

MattFromGA
Do you have a link to this? I suppose if it can be shown that you acquired said citizenship through questionable means, otherwise I don't think so and certainly wouldn't be easy.

I did some serious research into getting Philippine citizenship, including talking to a lawyer about the topic. They can take away your citizenship and have done this in the past to people. One of the big reasons for having your Philippine citizenship revokes is if you are caught with a passport from another country, indicating you did not actually give up your other citizenship. The Philippine government does require you to revoke your other citizenship in order to get Philippine citizenship. If you say you did it, but later it turns out you didnt, they will revoke. If you research Philippine law, you will see several of these types of things happening.

There is even a case of a person who was living in the Philippines for a long time and had their citizenship revoked from their home country and at one point had no citizenship with any country (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statelessness). The Philippines eventually provided citizenship.

• Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

Yet another example of the big hypocrisy of the Philippines and its naturalization laws. Heck the last time I flew from LAS to MNL i noticed most Filipinos on the flight were holding blue (US) passports. I notice this a lot even travelling around Asia.

The US should reciprocate with allowing only 50 'quota' visas per year to even the playing field...

MattFromGA
The US should reciprocate with allowing only 50 'quota' visas per year to even the playing field...

I wonder what the quota per sq.m. comparison would be. The Philippines is about the size of two medium sized states in the USA. It makes sense that an over populated country like the Philippines would limit their immigration. The USA is far less populated when using people per sq.m. and can afford to keep growing. Growth of population is important for the USA. Who do you think will pay for the loans the US government is getting right now?

The trillions borrowed now can be paid for by tomorrow's immigrants who arrive on the shore of the USA with a nice boat load of debt from previous generations.

• Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

Im not opposed to immigrant visas. Im talking purely citizenship. Heck the Philippines has a very easy process for spousal immigrant visa. They don't even make us poop in a jar anymore!

SkyMan
The trillions borrowed now can be paid for by tomorrow's immigrants who arrive on the shore of the USA with a nice boat load of debt from previous generations.
You think they're bringing buckets of money with them? I think they are arriving with their hands out. Both hands.
MattFromGA
You think they're bringing buckets of money with them? I think they are arriving with their hands out. Both hands.

Not all immigrants come over like that. Many have skills and earn; thus the concept of brain drain that countries like Cuba try very hard to stop. Besides, once Romney wins, those hands held out for expensive social services will instead be given shovels to dig with.