Foreigners acquiring Filipino citizenship

The below is the answer I got from BID I cannot be bothered to chase this any further as it does not impact on me.

Dear Sir:

Please be informed that the subject of your query is not within the purview of Philippine Immigration. Kindly address your query to the Office of the Solicitor General with website at www.osg.gov.ph

Subject: RE: Citizenship

To: [email protected]

I would be grateful please if a full list of requirements can be forwarded to me in order for a foreigner applicant to be considered for citizenship

There is some confusion over some of the requirements which I would be grateful if you could provide an answer:

The usual period is 10 years before application. this can be accelerated to 5 years continuous residency subject to meeting stated terms and conditions.

1/ Is there a fee to be paid at the 10 year point? if so how much is it?

0r

If applied for at the 5 year point are the fees any different to the above?

2/ Languages, I understand that for foreigners either English or spansish is accepted as a Base language. Are foreigners then required to be able to speak read and write in any one of the other main languages of the Philippines. Should it be that the answer is yes can I have a list of the accepted local languages/dialects that are acceptable.

3/ Is enrolling my children in local school enough, even if I wish to send them overseas to complete their education, very much as a full citizen of the Philippines can do if born a citizen? Or do I have to ensure that my children start and complete their school years here in the Philippines, if so up to what age?

Thank you for considering my questions and look forward to a detailed and comprehensive response

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SkyMan

• spooks

• smokey

• Mr.T

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I heard that Paul applied but failed on the 2 language requirement - his Cebuano was passable but nobody could understand his English!

RA 9319 is to provide for certain aliens who were born in the Phil and meet certain other requirements to become citizens thru a simple procedure. . I dont believe that it has anything to do with fo

Under Section 2 of the Revised Naturalization Law the applicant must possess the following qualifications: He/she must not be less than twenty-one (21) years of age on the day of the hearing of the

Interesting that is all you got since the BI web page lists the requirements for Naturalization.

Not surprisingly that link doesn't work.

Edited by SkyMan

The 'Office of the Solicitor General' sounds ominous. :P

They make all the rules on prostitution. :P

Very few people get it.

Douglas Macarthur, did. As did the guy who owns a massive business (films etc) in Cebu (dont recall his name).

Spend a few million $ in the right place and you get a much better chance of getting it.

Interesting that is all you got since the BI web page lists the requirements for Naturalization.

Not surprisingly that link doesn't work.

The link does work it just takes ages to connect

Must be the new Commadore 64 server they put in...

The link does work it just takes ages to connect

No, I keep getting an error message. Edited by SkyMan

That would be awesome. You could start owning land, owning businesses, etc. i'm sure there will be lots of haters around though

Must be the new Commadore 64 server they put in...

No, I keep getting an error message.

I just tried again this time it took several attempts with time outs before it opened

Another detail is that the lad from Bigfoot was Naturalized through Congressional Action (or whatever it is called out here), rather than the approval process everyone else would have to endure. Does anyone here directly know someone who has gone through the normal paperwork for Filipino Citizenship? It looks like it is just not done for Western (or Aussie) husbands of Filipinos, even after many years of residence here.

Another detail is that the lad from Bigfoot was Naturalized through Congressional Action (or whatever it is called out here), rather than the approval process everyone else would have to endure. Does anyone here directly know someone who has gone through the normal paperwork for Filipino Citizenship? It looks like it is just not done for Western (or Aussie) husbands of Filipinos, even after many years of residence here.

All such naturalization is through Congressional acts with senatorial sign off no different for him than any one else going the same route

I just tried again this time it took several attempts with time outs before it opened

Yeah, I got the first page. Most of it anyway. But it died when I tried to click a link.

web site works fine for me - you need very fast Internet

I don't think they get a lot of applications :yahoo:

Special Committee on Naturalization

• Functions of the SCN Secretariat
  • Qualifications and Disqualifications of Applicants under RA No. 9139
  • Documentary Requirements

Qualifications and Disqualifications of Applicants under RA No. 9139

A. QUALIFICATIONS.

An alien desiring to avail of the benefits of RA 9139 must possess the following qualifications as provided by Section 3 thereof:

1. Applicant must be born in the Philippines;

2. Residing in the Philippines since birth;

3. Must not be less than eighteen (18) years of age, at the time of filing of his/her petition;

4. Must be of good moral character;

5. Believes in the underlying principles of the Constitution;

6. Must have conducted himself/herself in a proper and irreproachable manner during his/her entire period of residence in the Philippines in his relation with the duly constituted government as well as with the community in which he/she is living;

7. Must have received his/her primary and secondary education in any public or private educational institution duly recognized by the Department of Education, Culture and Sports, where Philippine history, government and civics are taught and prescribed as part of the school curriculum and where enrollment is not limited to any race or nationality.

8. If the applicant has minor children, he/she must have enrolled them in similar schools;

9. Must have a known trade, business, profession or lawful occupation, from which he/she derives income sufficient for his/her support and if he/she is married and/or has dependents, also that of his/her family. This shall not apply to applicants who are college degree holders but are unable to practice their profession because they are disqualified to do so by reason of their citizenship;

10. Must be able to read, write and speak Filipino or any of the dialects of the Philippines; and,

11. Must have mingled with the Filipino and evince desire to learn and embrace the customs, traditions and ideals of the Filipino people.

B. DISQUALIFICATIONS.

An alien possessing any of the following grounds enumerated under Section 4 of RA No. 9139 is disqualified to be naturalized as Filipino citizen:

1. Those opposed to organized government or affiliated with any association or group of persons who uphold and teach doctrines opposing all organized governments;

2. Those defending or teaching the necessity of or propriety of violence and personal assault or assassination for the success or predominance of their ideas;

3. Polygamist or believers in the practice of polygamy;

4. Those convicted of crimes involving moral turpitude;

5. Those suffering from mental alienation or incurable contagious diseases;

6. Those who, during the period of their residence in the Philippines, have not mingled socially with the Filipinos, or who have not evince a sincere desire to learn and embrace the customs, traditions and ideas of the Filipinos; and

7. Citizens or subject of a foreign country whose laws do not grant Filipinos the right to be naturalized citizens or subject thereof.

A. Original Petition

Form Fee

Php 1,000.001

Paid upon purchase of the petition form

Filling and Docketing Fee

Php 39,000.002

Paid upon filing

Oath taking and

Naturalization Fee

Php 100,000.003

Paid prior to taking the Oath of Allegiance

Publication Fee

Ranges from Php 30,000.00

to Php 60,000.00

Paid directly to the accredited publishing company

1 Paid in Cash.

2 Paid via Manager's Check payable to the Office of the Solicitor General-SCN.

3 Paid via Manager's Check payable to the Office of the Solicitor General-SCN.

B. For Derivative Petition (Wife)

Form Fee

Php 1,000.004

Paid upon filing

Filing and Docketing Fee

Php 19,000.005

Paid upon filing

Oath taking and Naturalization Fee

Php 40,000.006

4 Paid in Cash.

5 Paid via Manager's Check payable to the Office of the Solicitor General-SCN.

6 Paid via Manager's Check payable to the Office of the Solicitor General-SCN.

C. For Derivative Petition (Children)

Form Fee

Php 1,000.007

Paid upon filing

Filing and Docketing Fee

Php 19,000.008

Paid upon filing

Oath taking and Naturalization Fee

Php 40,000.009

7 Paid in Cash.

8 Paid via Manager's Check payable to the Office of the Solicitor General-SCN.

9 Paid via Manager's Check payable to the Office of the Solicitor General-SCN.

• B. Derivative Petition (Wife)
  • A. Original Petition
  • C. Derivative Petition (Child)

For Original Petition

Authenticated copy of Birth certificate of the Petitioner;

Certified true copy of petitioner's alien certificate of registration (ACR);

Certified true copy of petitioner's native-born certificate of residence (NBCR);

Authenticated copy of petitioner's marriage certificate, if married;

Authenticated Death certificate of his/her spouse, if widowed;

Certificate true copy of Court decree annulling his/her marriage or granting legal separation, if such was the fact;

Authenticated Birth certificate of petitioner's minor children;

Certified true copy of ACRs of petitioner's minor children;

Certified true copy of NBCRs of petitioner's minor children;

Duly notarized Affidavits of financial capacity by the petitioner, duly supported by the bank certifications, passbooks, stock certificates, or proof of ownership of other properties;

Duly notarized Affidavits of at least two (2) credible witnesses who must be Filipino citizens of good reputation in petitioner's place of residence;

Medical certificate from a government hospital stating that petitioner is not suffering from mental alienation or a user of prohibited drugs or otherwise a drug dependent and that he/she is not afflicted with acquired immune deficiency syndrome (AIDS), or any incurable contagious disease. Please refer to the list of accredited government hospitals;

Certificate true copy with school zeal of diploma and transcript of records of the petitioner from school/s he or she attended in the Philippines;

Certified true copy with school zeal of diploma, transcript of records, certifications (from the school) stating that petitioner's minor children are enrolled in public schools or private educational institutions duly recognized by the DECS, where Philippines history, government and civics are taught and prescribed as part of the school curriculum and where enrollmentis not limited to any race of nationality;

Petitioner's income tax returns for the past three (3) years;

Petitioner's receipts of payment of income tax for the past three years.

For Derivative Petition (Wife)

Authenticated copy of Birth Certificate;

Authenticated copy of Marriage contract;

Certificate true copy of Latest alien certificate of registration (ACR);

Certificate true copy of Latest native-born certificate of residence (NBCR);

Immigrant certificate of residence (ICR);

Latest Passport;

Clearances from the following:

National Bureau of Investigation

Regional Trial Court in the place of residence

Police in the place of residence

Provincial or City Prosecutor in the place of residence;

Medical certificate issued by a government physician;

Authenticated copy of Birth certificate/s of applicant's minor children;

Other relevant documents that the applicant may desire to attach to her petition in support of the same.

For Derivative Petition (Children)

Authenticated copy of Birth certificate;

Certified true copy of Latest alien certificate of registration (ACR);

Certificate true copy of Latest native-born certificate of residence (NBCR);

Immigrant certificate of residence (ICR);

Latest Passport;

Medical certificate issued by a government physician;

Certified true copy of Diploma/Transcript of record with school zeal and certification (from the school) stating that petitioner's minor children are enrolled in public or private schools duly recognized by DepEd, where Philippine history, government and civics are taught and prescribed as part of the school curriculum and where enrollment is not limited to any race or nationality;

Other relevant documents that petitioner may desire to attach to his petition in support of the same.

Edited by ckfm

I don't see why you want this. If you're married to a Philippina you can own real estate and businesses with her. You didn't say what country you are from. Is Philippine citizenship worth loosing the citizenship you already have with your home country?