NHL Lockout

broden

• Admin (Retired)

i like hockey granted, at least for me , the game is not near as fun to watch on tv as it is in person

but i do like hockey watching and playing , though i haven't played any in years.

hockey however does not have anywhere near the fan base of the other the major sports in the states.

and i'm wondering how much more it can take and still survive. they just initiated another lock out .. the 4th stoppage in 10 years

they're the only major sport that has lost an entire season to this stuff

i think hockey has been down to pretty much the hardcore fans for several years now. so perhaps they will keep putting up with this

gonna be interesting to watch

I think any major sport can withstand these work stoppages. For whatever reason, we just love watching these kind of sports played at an exceptionally high level. The fans will always come back. We make noise about not supporting them anymore; billionaires and millionaires arguing over how to divide up our money and all that. However, we always come back. Hard to figure.

A cool story about the 1994 NHL work stoppage. I was with a couple of friends in a local bar, and saw Wendel Clark and Kelly Chase sitting there having a beer. They were in town for a Western Hockey League team's alumni function. My friend, he just walks up to Wendel and says, "When are you lazy pricks going to go back to work?" I just about shit, as Wendel had a rep for being hot tempered. He just laughed, and said it shouldn't be too long now. He wouldn't say anything else, citing confidentiality about the negotiations on the CBA. I think he sort of violated that a little by even saying it wouldn't be long now. Anyway, about a month later, they were playing again.

• Like 1
littlePP

The league went to shit when Buttman took over, and they pussified it for the european players, in the physical aspects.

TV ratings are lower then ladies vollyball and reruns of poker.

The cup finals was a disaster as far as ratings, and you had a big market in LA.

Hockey is, and always will be a fringe sport - simply because of the money and weather needed to play the game.

I see soccer making a bigger impact in the states in time, despite the lack of commercial abilities - sport if too popular around the world to not eventually get on ESPN US.

Yes, hockey is dying a slow death

Edited by littlePP
  • Admin (Retired)

what i dislike about hockey and sadly other sports are following suit more and more is they are making the regular season meaningless by putting almost everyone in to the playoffs

• Like 1
littlePP

what i dislike about hockey and sadly other sports are following suit more and more is they are making the regular season meaningless by putting almost everyone in to the playoffs

Of all sports, the NFL has it perfect as far as how that goes.

Wow, 49ers look like the team to beat so far, and the Saints looking more like the Aints again.

I read somewhere that the stanley cup clincher game got less ratings then the NBA draft LOTTERY.

The NHL has it's hard core base of fans, but they expanded themselves into oblivion.

I used to love the game when it was a circus, and players would brawl out and policed themselves on the ice. :)

For me, hockey is by far the most exciting team sport to see live in person; its not even close. And much like the NFL, it is a sport perfect for TV viewing; it's fast, skillful, action-packed, violent and looks great in hi-def. But Bettman has destroyed the NHL by horrible mismanagement, poor marketing, lying to fans (ask Atlanta hockey fans how they feel), over expansion and a myriad of other bungles that should have gotten him fired years ago. He makes Don King in boxing look like Mother Theresa in comparison. As a result, hockey is really nothing more than a fringe sport in the US. It deserves better. There will always be the hardcore fans (Canadians!) but another work stoppage is so far being greeted with a giant yawn in the US. If NHL owners really want to elevate their sport and return it to any semblance of respectability, the first thing they must do is fire Bettman.

There's a lot of reasons hockey won't ever do well in the US. For one thing it's viewed largely as 'that Canadian sport' even if there are only 5 Canadian teams. And it's viewed as a winter sports that much of the country could care less about because they don't have winter. But probably the biggest problem is that it can't be played in most of the US so the kids don't grow up playing it. I used to live near Chicago and the local FD would go out and fill a low area with water and we'd have a rink for 5 months but that doesn't work in most of the country. It would work in Texas if bullshit was slippery. I now there are rinks but they are few and far between unless you have a large enough city to support it. You have kind of a chicken egg thing going with rinks. To get an invester to build one there has to be a demand. To have a demand you have to have a rink and you have to have enough people willing to fork out enough cash for equipment and rink tome for their kids to try something they don't know if they will like. Hard to do when most kids are looking to play football. Soccer works to some degree because it doesn't conflict with football, can be played anywhere, and doesn't cost a lot to try.

Definitely true with Hockey, Basketball, and more recently Baseball. It's like they play an entire 1000 game season to find out which 2 teams suck so bad they don't go to the playoffs. The NFL is much better as far as that goes but I have to say that when they expanded the league to 8 divisions I was really hoping the wild card slots for the playoffs would disappear. 4 division winners from each conference and go from there. If you aren't good enough to win your division, how do you justify getting a slot in the playoffs? And yet there are still whiners wanting 2 teams from each division.
  • Admin (Retired)

i don't like when any sport expands their post season so far as to risk having a sub 500 team win their championship

• Like 1
littlePP

Both revious posts have meri, but on the other hand I have seen division winners get in post season play with losing records, while great teams playing in the toughest divisions finish 2nd, and lose out.

The wild cards are more then about money in the NFL, and quite fair.