Sign in to follow this  
chimellie

Bisaya grammer

chimellie
sorry guys i made a mistake over what i said about "gi". its not a prefix that means totally the verb is in past tense but

rather the action is done from the past until the time the person is saying the sentence.

actually, its gi-higugma. the root word there is the action word higugma meaning the action of loving or simply loving.

as for the 1st, if it ends with a period, "Gihigugma ko nimo." means "You're loving me." but if it ends with a question

mark "Gihigugma ko nimo?" it means "Do you love me?"

as for the second "Gihigugma ko ikaw" , it simply means "i am loving you."

as to when to use "nimo" or "ikaw"

u use "nimo" if you are making a declarative sentence in which the doer of the action is the one you are talking to. or you

could also use it in a question, asking the person you are talking to if he/she is doing the action.

u use "ikaw" if you are making a sentence in which the one you are talking to is the receiver of the action.

Is "Gihigugma ko nimo" the same with " gihigugma mo ako " ??????

raito
sorry guys i made a mistake over what i said about "gi". its not a prefix that means totally the verb is in past tense but

rather the action is done from the past until the time the person is saying the sentence.

actually, its gi-higugma. the root word there is the action word higugma meaning the action of loving or simply loving.

as for the 1st, if it ends with a period, "Gihigugma ko nimo." means "You're loving me." but if it ends with a question

mark "Gihigugma ko nimo?" it means "Do you love me?"

as for the second "Gihigugma ko ikaw" , it simply means "i am loving you."

as to when to use "nimo" or "ikaw"

u use "nimo" if you are making a declarative sentence in which the doer of the action is the one you are talking to. or you

could also use it in a question, asking the person you are talking to if he/she is doing the action.

u use "ikaw" if you are making a sentence in which the one you are talking to is the receiver of the action.

Is "Gihigugma ko nimo" the same with " gihigugma mo ako " ??????

yes they have the same meaning: "You love me."

Paul

How about my favorite... Gihugugma ko... ako. ;):D :D

Joke lang.

chesa-tu

Hi! i'm kinda new and i really don't know how to operate stuffs in here ...but i wanted to quote where one said that there are no schools who teach Cebuano language.

Well, in fact, there are schools who have this course. Their teachers are Cebu-based publication writer and a prominent media man. Though i like to mention these schools but still i have to ask their permission first...>hehe!< The Cebuano language subject is not really open to just anyone who wanted to. Of course, they have to be enrolled in that course where the Cebuano subject is offered. (too bad, it's quite exclusive to the students enrolled only)

I am just proud that there are still institutions who offer this kind of stuff because it is really a need for us CEBUANOS. >duh, it's our native language. It's a shame if we still pretend not to know this though it is really obvious.)

Paul

Hi,

Please email me directly, with the information on the schools.

paul @ kitakits.com or cebu @ livingincebu.com

Thanks,

Lee

First of all, chesa-tu welcome to the forum. :(

Next, I seem to remember a Cebuano school in a store in the back left corner of cross roads shopping center. I am pretty sure that it was there back in April or May but do not know if they are still there? :) Maybe someone can check it out the next time there are there?

Angie
Thanks Bet and Nanny. When do you use the word "akong" as I and "ako" or "ko" as I ? for example : " Mingaw ko nimo" means I miss you . But you can't say " mingaw akong nimo" . Is it because mingaw is an adjetive therefore akong becomes ko ??????

Thanks again

Hi Chimellie! I just read this thread today and thought I could make it clearer to you.

If you want to use "ako", you have to know where the stress lies. "aKO si Angie." I am Angie. The stress is on the second syllable. Akong is the short for "Ako nga" which means "my" and the stress is on the first syllable, ex. "Maestra ang Ako'ng mama."

In the sentence "Mingaw ko nimo" that is the short for "Gimingaw ko nimo."/Ako gimingaw nimo.

mingaw (verb)- to feel lonely, to long for someone, miss someone's presence, to yearn for someone

Although, the prefix "gi" is used to indicate past and passive actions, in the sentence "Gimingaw ko nimo." the speaker feels lonely at the moment of speaking because he is longing for someone's presence. It does not imply an action in the past.

Funny expression: "Ang iyang buhok gimingaw sa gunting." His hair misses the scissors. This means he needs a hair cut.

mingaw (adjective) - lonely, deserted, quiet

ex. Mingaw ang balay kay nanglakaw sila tanan. The house is quiet because they all went out.

kamingaw (noun) loneliness

If you hear this expression "Kamingaw sa balay." the "kamingaw" here does not mean loneliness, it's the short for "mingaw kaayo" which means too quiet.

Wanna learn more? Talk to Keith Angel and he'll tell you how. :)

hahai17

hey guys.uhm just new here. B)

:cool_01::D hey uhm i just want to know what this sentence means .."gihigugma tah jd(maybe he means there is jud.i think.)taka..:)"

someone send that to me and im so curious.what does it mean?

thanks guys.im eagerly waiting for your replies..

Godbless you guys.. :)

Angie
hey guys.uhm just new here. B)

:cool_01::D hey uhm i just want to know what this sentence means .."gihigugma tah jd(maybe he means there is jud.i think.)taka..:)"

someone send that to me and im so curious.what does it mean?

thanks guys.im eagerly waiting for your replies..

Godbless you guys.. :)

This contextually means "I really love you."

However, if you want to know where the words come here, here it goes.

gihigugma = from the word "gugma" which means LOVE,

= with hi ,higugma which means TO LOVE SOMEONE

= with gi, a Direct Passive prefix, it means "LOVED BY"

jud is from the word "gayud, short is g'yud" which means really

ta ka or ti ka = a variation of the pronouns ko and ikaw, so ta ka or ti ka means "ko ikaw"

So the literal translation is "You are really loved by me."

Paul

And when she hates you, she may say, "Dili nako gusto nimo!" :):D

misty
And when she hates you, she may say, "Dili nako gusto nimo!" :D :D

I thought "Layas" is the proper term!? :)

Angie
I thought "Layas" is the proper term!? :)

Dili na ko gusto nimo literally means "I don't want you anymore./I don't like you anymore.

Layas means "Leave or go away!"

If you want to say "I hate you." you will say "Naglagot ko nimo." or "Gikalagutan ti ka." literal meaning "You are hated by me."

the unforgiven

then what do these mean?

amaw man ka, kiat lang nang nawong mo!

ambot lang! ( I often hear this, when asking questions)

nawong nimo lubot nako! :P

Angie

then what do these mean?

amaw man ka, kiat lang nang nawong mo! - These are not polite words.

Amaw, if said to someone familiar to you, can be translated as silly. In this context, the speaker used it to mean "stupid"

I am sure that you have read somewhere that "man" has no literal meaning at all. It is used to soften the tone of the speaker's voice or to emphasize what the speaker is saying. In this context, there is an air of irritation on the speaker's voice.

nawong means face

nang is short for kana'ng

mo is short for nimo, your

Kiat means being restlessly inattentive and jumping or running about.

Literal translation = You are stupid, your face keeps bouncing, jumping and running about!

ambot lang! ( I often hear this, when asking questions)

This is the expression to use when someone asks you about something and you don't know the answer.

Ambot lang! = I don't know!

nawong nimo lubot nako! = this is very rude and disparaging! This means that the listener is so ugly that her/his face looks like the butt of the speaker and should not be shown in public. It's not polite to tell someone these words.

nawong = face

nimo = your

lubot = butt

nako = my

Literal Translation = Your face is my butt.

misty
Dili na ko gusto nimo literally means "I don't want you anymore./I don't like you anymore.

Layas means "Leave or go away!"

If you want to say "I hate you." you will say "Naglagot ko nimo." or "Gikalagutan ti ka." literal meaning "You are hated by me."

I know what it means. I just posted that in jest.