Is it True -Citizenship, if married to Filipina ?

smokey

No one of the tenets of the specific law allows property to be left to be left to a foreign spouse, but that spouse can not leave it to another foreigner when they die. Again you will find this discussion in the archives.

we were told by a lawyer if the wife passes first and the property is in both names as man and wife the government will allow a one year time frame for the sale of the home ... i have seen this in action in a subdivision where the wife died and the husband stayed many years and then re married

Edited by smokey
  • Like 1
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SkyMan

• Smitty

• smokey

• spooks

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am certainly no expert, but i think your sis in law is wrong. As far as i am aware, you have to renounce your current citizenship to qualify for PH citizenship. Renouncing your home country citize

http://travel.state....s/cis_1753.html   US State Department Services Dual Nationality       The concept of dual nationality means that a person is a citizen of two countries at the sam

Actually, Community involvement isn't even stipulated. Here's from the law regarding community:  "Third. He must be of good moral character and believes in the principles underlying the Philippine C

No one of the tenets of the specific law allows property to be left to be left to a foreign spouse, but that spouse can not leave it to another foreigner when they die. Again you will find this discussion in the archives.

I meant you could arrange to have the land be titled to one of your trusted in-laws, which I assumed were Filipinos, and continue to live on the land.

Davaoeno

name='SkyMan' timestamp='1347189017' post='559151']

Very cool. I would appreciate the info on that. I'm curious, if you feel like sharing, what advantages you see to it? Does Korea allow dual citizenship? And how long have you lived here? I looked into it enough to see that the first step is to file an Intention to Naturalize one year before the actual petition. I'm not sure if that can be done at the 4 year point since the actual application would then be at the 5 year point or if that occurs at the 5 year point thus making it 6 years before application.

You also will have difficulty getting Philippine citizenship if you spell the name of the country wrong. Practise, practise. :rofl:

haha I am in Canada and here we spell Philippines differently - its the French influence ! heheh Actually I was just rushing too much . You mention Korea - I am Canadian, not Korean. The whole Korean thing was a joke because a certain someone here was on an anti-Korean kick and I just took up the cause for all Koreans. And, to set the record straight on a few other things that people have claimed- I am neither 3 feet tall, nor 400 lbs. Nor gay. But the person who said I was super gwapo was of course correct. [ oh, and I really dont have a gf called Nicole ]

Why would I apply for citizenship ? I intend to make this country my home, and feel that I should be a citizen of the country that I intend to live in permanently . Its just a personal thing. It has nothing to do with economics, nor land ownership .

Actually 2 weeks ago I went to the Phil Retirement Authority to renew my SRRV card and the matter came up, and the govt official strongly advised me NOT to apply for citizenship since according to him I already have a much better citizenship ! I was quite surprised at his attitude.

I have lived here for 4 years

Edited by Davaoeno

Citizenship will also require you to be able to speak anyone of the main dialects. residency is for 10 years can be cut short to 5 in exceptional circumstances, like the owner of BIg Foot on Mactan etc

Edited by spooks
You mention Korea - I am Canadian, not Korean. The whole Korean thing was a joke because a certain someone here was on an anti-Korean kick and I just took up the cause for all Koreans.
No non Korean would ever claim they were, ergo, you're Korean. Hahahaha so then is Canada ok with dual citizenship?
But the person who said I was super gwapo was of course correct.
SMOKEY!
I intend to make this country my home, and feel that I should be a citizen of the country that I intend to live in permanently . Its just a personal thing. It has nothing to do with economics, nor land ownership .
:thumbs_up: Same for me here. We'll never be pinoy but at least we can feel like this is our country.
Actually 2 weeks ago I went to the Phil Retirement Authority to renew my SRRV card and the matter came up, and the govt official strongly advised me NOT to apply for citizenship since according to him I already have a much better citizenship ! I was quite surprised at his attitude.
I got the same thing from the lawyer at the BI when I got my perm 13A. He told me now I have the next best thing to citizenship and I told him that was the next step, And he said I didn't want to do that because US citizenship is much better. I didn't say anything but in both cases they are assuming we would lose our home country citizenship.
I have lived here for 4 years
I think you're ok to file the Letter of Intention to Apply now.

Citizenship will also require you to be able to speak anyone of the main dialects.

Not true actually. Some sites say "English or Spanish and any one of the principal languages." The BI website says "English or Spanish or any one of the principal languages." But even if you go by the AND version you have to realize this law is very old (hence the Spanish). There is no stipulated level of fluency so anyone who has been here 5 years should know a few phrases to get by. However, if you really want fluency then look at the phrase "principal languages." What are the principal languages in the RP? The official languages are Tagolog and English, certainly the official languages must both be principal languages. This was not the case at the time of the writing of this law but it is now. English therefore satisfies this requirement on its own.
residency is for 10 years can be cut short to 5 in exceptional circumstances, like the owner of BIg Foot on Mactan etc
Yes, here's the list of exceptions:

Section 3. Special qualifications. The ten years of continuous residence required under the second condition of the last preceding section shall be understood as reduced to five years for any petitioner having any of the following qualifications:

1. Having honorably held office under the Government of the Philippines or under that of any of the provinces, cities, municipalities, or political subdivisions thereof;

2. Having established a new industry or introduced a useful invention in the Philippines;

3. Being married to a Filipino woman;

4. Having been engaged as a teacher in the Philippines in a public or recognized private school not established for the exclusive instruction of children of persons of a particular nationality or race, in any of the branches of education or industry for a period of not less than two years;

5. Having been born in the Philippines.

I guess the owner of Bigfoot would have fallen under rule 2 if he did use the 5 year exception.

• Like 1

The laws maybe old but they have not changed. The requirement of a key base dialect IS still required unless you have a very recent correspondence from the BI to say otherwise. The one I had three years ago when exploring this was very clear that it WAS required. Times do change and maybe it is now clearer, or lawfully changed.

The laws maybe old but they have not changed. The requirement of a key base dialect IS still required unless you have a very recent correspondence from the BI to say otherwise. The one I had three years ago when exploring this was very clear that it WAS required. Times do change and maybe it is now clearer, or lawfully changed.

Like I said, Tagolog and English are the official languages so English is a "principal language."

Here's from the BI website:

"f. The applicant must be able to read, write and speak Filipino or any of the dialects of the Philippines;"

http://immigration.gov.ph/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=57&Itemid=34

Like I said, Tagolog and English are the official languages so English is a "principal language."

Here's from the BI website:

"f. The applicant must be able to read, write and speak Filipino or any of the dialects of the Philippines;"

http://immigration.g...id=57&Itemid=34

taken together i am none the wiser for reading your posts re language requirements. then again i am too dumb to apply for citizenship so will not bother. the deal breaker for me was having to have my kids educated here. Hell even philippinos can send their kids overseas for education and parents do not lose citizenship!!

taken together i am none the wiser for reading your posts re language requirements. then again i am too dumb to apply for citizenship so will not bother. the deal breaker for me was having to have my kids educated here. Hell even philippinos can send their kids overseas for education and parents do not lose citizenship!!

Neither would you. They just have to be enrolled in local schools when you apply. Of course, I have no kids here so no problem.
musicman666

Citizenship will also require you to be able to speak anyone of the main dialects. residency is for 10 years can be cut short to 5 in exceptional circumstances, like the owner of BIg Foot on Mactan etc

Yeah but if your following the local news kickbacks are expected!

39 posts none of which have for me left me feeling confident in the process or its costs, so i have done what the Op could have done and written to the BID and asked. Once I get a response I will post it.

Edited by spooks
musicman666

39 posts none of which have for me left me feeling confident in the process or its costs, so i have done what the Op could have done and written to the BID and asked. Once I get a response I will post it.

Good luck with that.....I will be really interested too in what they have to say since I suspect even the powers that be haven't made up their mind yet.

You never said if you have a Philippinga gf, fiance or wife. However if you do get married to a Philippina and you buy real estate together, she will have to own the majority of it. I'm not sure but I think it's a 60/40 split.

I don't know about Australia but in The U.S. it makes more sense for the Philippina wife to get dual citizenship than the husband especially if you plan on living in R.P. after living in U.S. One reason is so she can get her U.S. Social Security Benifits while living in The Philippines. I read in another thread that she will not get either her own benifts or a deceased spouse benifit if she moves back to The Philippines with only R.P. citizenship. With dual or U.S. citizenship she'll get both.

I was told by the embassy she can recieve her SS benifits without citizenship. Guess I'll have to reconfirm that