Is it True -Citizenship, if married to Filipina ?

RogerDuMond

i wonder if a person comes to the us on a green card and leaves for over 6 months they CAN loose if but in most cases its one year gone ... i wonder if a person with an acr leaves for a year does he loose his acr

Don't know, but US green card holder is allowed 1 year straight out of the country before the green card becomes invalid and you can apply to the US Embassy for a 1 year extension making it a total of 2 years.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SkyMan

• Smitty

• smokey

• RogerDuMond

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am certainly no expert, but i think your sis in law is wrong. As far as i am aware, you have to renounce your current citizenship to qualify for PH citizenship. Renouncing your home country citize

http://travel.state....s/cis_1753.html   US State Department Services Dual Nationality       The concept of dual nationality means that a person is a citizen of two countries at the sam

Actually, Community involvement isn't even stipulated. Here's from the law regarding community:  "Third. He must be of good moral character and believes in the principles underlying the Philippine C

SkyMan
and with the intention to give up U.S. citizenship.
Some people have had problems with this line, however, the intent to gain RP citizenship does not in itself constitute an intention to give up US citizenship. In fact, to renounce US citizenship you have to go to the consulate, pay a fee of now $450 I believe. Swear an oath to the effect. And even then it may be denied and even if approved I would bet someone could go back later and claim they were only kidding and get it back.
SkyMan
I don't wish to argue with you, since I don't have my facts, but I believe community involvement might be more than just being involved in a church group, and I believe that the costs are probably less prohibitive than the restrictions.
Actually, Community involvement isn't even stipulated. Here's from the law regarding community:

"Third. He must be of good moral character and believes in the principles underlying the Philippine Constitution, and must have conducted himself in a proper and irreproachable manner during the entire period of his residence in the Philippines in his relation with the constituted government as well as with the community in which he is living."

So really, it just means you have to be a good above board guy and part of the community.

and I believe that the costs are probably less prohibitive than the restrictions. There is a post here that Guenther was involved in that spells it all out.
In Guenther's case, I believe the German gov't doesn't tolerate dual citizenship so in his case I can understand him not persuing citizenship. I'd like to know if there are any other restrictions. I can't think of anything. I look at it as a door opening without closing any others to my knowledge.
  • Like 1
RogerDuMond

I look at it as a door opening without closing any others to my knowledge.

Me too, but from my point of view it would be an empty room on the other side of the door. What would the benefit of Philippine citizenship be for you over 13a visa that would make the hassle worthwhile?

Im an Irish Citizen, living as Permanent resident in Australia.

Sent an email last night to Philippine Consulate in Perth, and surprisingly, I had a response this morning.

Thank you for your email copied below. The regaining of Filipino citizenship is only open to those who were formally citizens if the Philippines as you were never a citizen of the Philippines you would not be able to avail of this.

If you intend to take up permanent residency in the Philippines and your wife is currently a citizen of the Philippines (which is a requirement) you could apply for a form of permanent residency (non quota immigrant visa) , which can then lead to applying eventually after a period of continuous residency (5 years) in the Philippines for citizenship. Of course until and unless you intend to take up residency in the Philippines there is no point is applying at this stage. A lot of information is available on the web regarding the non-quote immigrant visa. Click Here for more information

Trust this satisfactorily answers your enquiry.

for:

Consulate-General of the Philippines

Suite 2 / 116 Mounts Bay Road, Perth, 6000, WA

P.O. Box 855, South Perth, 6951, WA

Telephone: 08 - 9481 5666, Fax 08-9463 6083

email: [email protected]

web address: www.perthconsul.com

#################End of Email#################

cleardot.gif

So that puts an end to that I think.

SkyMan

Me too, but from my point of view it would be an empty room on the other side of the door. What would the benefit of Philippine citizenship be for you over 13a visa that would make the hassle worthwhile?

Well, now that is up to the applicant to decide. Besides corporate or land ownership, there are some small monetary savings which over time could add up to a significant amount. If one travels, for instance, those p2900/year exit visas could add up. Some others might wish to have citizenship just because of one or more of their own personal principals. For example, I wouldn't mind telling Whippy to get the hell out of my country. Hahahahahaha
So that puts an end to that I think.
Well, if it's the bit about residing in the RP for 5 years that turned you off, lazydays told you that in the very first reply and others including myself elaborated.
  • Like 1
Davaoeno

It is my intention to apply for Phillipine citizenship next year. [ I actually discussed this with Guenther about a week ago ]. Once I start the process I will keep people advised as to how the application progresses.

RogerDuMond

Well, now that is up to the applicant to decide.

No I was being specific. I was saying that I didn't see any benefit for me and was asking if you saw any for you. I have been married 20 years and have no desire to own our land here. In the unlikely case that my wife should predecease me, I would own the place until I die.

I can see the reason for Ian to do it, but I don't think that there are many other circumstances where it would be worth the effort.

Edited by RogerDuMond
Added a second thought
SkyMan

It is my intention to apply for Phillipine citizenship next year. [ I actually discussed this with Guenther about a week ago ]. Once I start the process I will keep people advised as to how the application progresses.

Very cool. I would appreciate the info on that. I'm curious, if you feel like sharing, what advantages you see to it? Does Korea allow dual citizenship? And how long have you lived here? I looked into it enough to see that the first step is to file an Intention to Naturalize one year before the actual petition. I'm not sure if that can be done at the 4 year point since the actual application would then be at the 5 year point or if that occurs at the 5 year point thus making it 6 years before application.

You also will have difficulty getting Philippine citizenship if you spell the name of the country wrong. Practise, practise. :rofl:

Edited by SkyMan
  • Like 1

I assume only the right to own property solely in your name. That may or may not matter to some people.

Actually, Community involvement isn't even stipulated. Here's from the law regarding community:

"Third. He must be of good moral character and believes in the principles underlying the Philippine Constitution, and must have conducted himself in a proper and irreproachable manner during the entire period of his residence in the Philippines in his relation with the constituted government as well as with the community in which he is living."

So really, it just means you have to be a good above board guy and part of the community.

In Guenther's case, I believe the German gov't doesn't tolerate dual citizenship so in his case I can understand him not persuing citizenship. I'd like to know if there are any other restrictions. I can't think of anything. I look at it as a door opening without closing any others to my knowledge.

Cool, thanks for the info.

I have been married 20 years and have no desire to own our land here. In the unlikely case that my wife should predecease me, I would own the place until I die.

Of course in the unfortunate instance that your wife does predecease you, would still own the land, its just that you would still own it, its just that you would be forced to sell it. You could always work out an arrangement with a trusted in-law so that you could stay on the land.

Is it true you must stay in the Philippines for a straight 5 years to be able to qualify? If I'm not mistaken you did return to Canada within the last 2 years, no? If so, you wouldn't qualify for another 3 years or so. I'm just curious.

*I guess I should have MultiQuoted my posts, but to be honest, I'm too lazy.

RogerDuMond

Of course in the unfortunate instance that your wife does predecease you, would still own the land, its just that you would be forced to sell it.

No one of the tenets of the specific law allows property to be left to be left to a foreign spouse, but that spouse can not leave it to another foreigner when they die. Again you will find this discussion in the archives.

smokey

Of course in the unfortunate instance that your wife does predecease you, would still own the land, its just that you would still own it, its just that you would be forced to sell it. You could always work out an arrangement with a trusted in-law so that you could stay on the land.

if you take the time to make out a will a husband can be protected in the case of the wife going first.... without a will it will be assumed the wife wanted her property to go to the children and this could be sticky if the children are her children and not by both of you