Poker in Cebu

ozbuckley

I see theres a few Poker places on AS Fortuna.

What kind of poker are these places playing?... Texas Hold em?

Any details?

Thanks!

Oz

Brucewayne

Any details?

Thanks!

Oz

Those are rip offs, there are a few players here if you are interested.

The games I go to are in other people's homes which means they are not likely to be rigged.

Brucewayne

Lord Blacknail (A member of this forum) has a group, I wouldn't go to just any place as most card rooms here are probably rigged in favor of the house.

Edited by Brucewayne
HeyMike

Some expats (me included) go to what we call The Bamboo Bar (don't know the real name) in Carcar. Play dealer's choice poker games... no wild cards, ever.

im living in cebu and would certainly be interested in joining a weekly poker game with other expats

• Admin (Retired)
broden

im living in cebu and would certainly be interested in joining a weekly poker game with other expats

tell them you have tons of cash and never played poker in your life.. the calls will pour in

HeyMike

If Carcar is not too far for you to travel, you are certainly welcome to join us. We play Wednesdays, about 4pm start.

tell them you have tons of cash and never played poker in your life.. the calls will pour in

lol very funny

If Carcar is not too far for you to travel, you are certainly welcome to join us. We play Wednesdays, about 4pm start.

not sure wher car car is but ill check it out thanks for the offer

newtocebu

Where in Cebu ?

There are regular poker games held on Mactan ( TC's, Dionnes, Eddies, El Dorado's etc )

mactanfamily

I wouldn't go to just any place as most card rooms here are probably rigged in favor of the house.

Whats wrong the with those places? I've played next door to Joker Arms, and the one near the old convention center, and Although I'm no pro, I didn't see anything funny. I've won a few times as well.

Brucewayne

Whats wrong the with those places? I've played next door to Joker Arms, and the one near the old convention center, and Although I'm no pro, I didn't see anything funny. I've won a few times as well.

I'm not saying all places will rob you, but I do know that if some houses think you have a lot of money, they either throw a ringer in who is played to by the dealer, or they will pull a stunt that really turned me off.

The stunt is to let the dealer play and deal at the same time and nobody wins once that gets started, house dealers/players are out in my book.

As I said, not all are crooked, but I am not wealthy or lucky enough to try many of them just to find an honest house.

The games I like are the ones put on by the players themselves and at a bar or one of the player's homes.

Where in Cebu ?

There are regular poker games held on Mactan ( TC's, Dionnes, Eddies, El Dorado's etc )

lahug, those places all pubs?

Any details?

Thanks!

Oz

I am not sure what you are used to playing but...if you play Hold em, you can always play at the Waterfront hotel in dowtown cebu. they have a poker room (no omaha or limit games) mainly no limit. You can play both string games or tournament poker there. It is best on weekends, but open all the time. they have a good tournament sunday night at 6pm....1,200 buy in with guarantee of 100k. The string (live action games) are low to high stakes. Starting at 10, 20 antes, then 10, 25 and 50, 100 anties.

Obviously the dealer self shuffle like in WPT, no auto shufflers, but I have never seen one of them acting like a mechanic. It is the usual, house takes a rake from the pots, so no need to cheat anyoone. I have also heard of the Diamond room at Park Mall, they strictly do daily tournaments, no live string games.

There are a few expats that play there...but I don't think any of them are on this forum. Also get tourists, koreans, some local pinoys etc. that play at the Waterfront. If you know how to play, and are patient, you will do just fine playing string games here. Pinoys try to bluff so much it is funny, just wait for the right hand and nail them when they do.

In the states, I played live cash games and tournaments in vegas, tampa and ran the hard rock circuit in the Midwest. So, i have played quite a bit. When I have played at Waterfront, I always win pretty good money on live string games. If you know tournament play, its mostly luck at the end, whoever hits the flop takes home money...lol. Let me know if you have any more questions. I have moved out of cebu and in the provinces now, so I don't play there anymore, but I do know a couple of the poker managers at Waterfront and would be glad to give you more info if you need it. Good luck.

• Like 2

Hi Airborn ,

do you know what the structure ( starting chips\ blind levels ) is for the Sunday tournament ?

@ Brucewayne . I did reply to your question , in my introduction thread ! ( just in case you have not seen it )

Brucewayne

Hi Airborn ,

do you know what the structure ( starting chips\ blind levels ) is for the Sunday tournament ?

@ Brucewayne . I did reply to your question , in my introduction thread ! ( just in case you have not seen it )

Okay, I found it.

Tourneys are fun now and then, but a bit stressful and my wife is afraid for my health when I play in those.

Regular string games can be a bit tough, but at least if I start stressing out or having chest pains, I can leave the table at any time and take a break.

One tourney I was in a few years back, we played for 6 hours without break, other than bathroom of course.

I was bushed and swore I would never sign onto one of those again.