Which business to start? Is it morally OK to copy a business from another expat?

A_Simple_Man

First and foremost, you have to make sure you sell something people need and want.

I am reminded of a business that sold me some pots and pans that were way overpriced. I did not want them. I did not need them. I got sucked into the high pressure sales tactics.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• broden

• Davaoeno

• Paul

• smokey

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you are asking yourself this type of question you should NOT start a business here because you are already doomed !! doomed i tell you- doomed !!

I think one of the biggest problems with ex-pats starting businesses, in the region, is that the vast majority of them (that I have met) have never been self employed, and have no idea how hard it is.

I try it a bit "mathematical" with a few sentences.   The question isn't about the business concept, its the "business person" behind it.   If one can copy the "business person", he may be success

Posted Images

Brucewayne

I am reminded of a business that sold me some pots and pans that were way overpriced. I did not want them. I did not need them. I got sucked into the high pressure sales tactics.

High pressure techniques work on certain people, but I become irritated and refuse to even talk to those sales people.

I can't tolerate greedy people and don't buy from them unless they are the only show in town.

I think it is very rare that someone comes up with a business idea that NOBODY has ever done before. Walt Disney built an amusement park and had to keep explaining the idea before it caught on. Henry Ford came up with inter-changeable, uniform parts for his Model-T. But aside from being a business/pioneer/genius like Disney or Ford.. really.. just about ANY business a person starts up is already being done by somebody else.

To me there are four driving factors that cause a person to pull money out of their pocket and give it to you: Need. Greed. Fear. And Desire. If I were to open the only store in the Philippines that sold dual-sided, blue shipping tape.. and that was the ONLY thing I sold just to avoid copying someone else's business.. I'd go broke. Nobody needs it. If they did, plenty of places sell one-sided tape which is more useful, etc.

I take a walk down the street. Is there only ONE GUY to buy lechon manok from? Does one person provide all the hanging rice to the entire town? No. In fact, it's because there are so many guys looking to make some pesos selling food people want or need or desire (or fear going hungry).. that the price is so affordable to us, the consumer. I believe in the free market so, damn right if I see a customer base for something, I just may take a shot at filling that need to make me some pesos. Since when are monopolies right and earning money wrong? Nobody has a patent on the idea of selling roasted pork for cryin' out loud.

I suppose in an ideal version of selfishness it's nice to think we'd be the ONLY guy with some business idea and the world could only beat a path to OUR door to get it. But in reality.. it's the guy who provides the same thing, but better quality or better service or better price that deserves to get the customers. And if he is the first guy.. or the 5th guy in town to provide it.. kudos to him and let the others learn and adapt or watch their sales drop like rock. That's life. That's business.

Enrique / Reekay

Edited by Reekay
  • Like 1

Exactly. Most foreigners i've met who want to start a business have never even run a business in their home country. That's why they fail.

Theres also other factors to consider in the Philippines, as i've known a guy from Corsica who had made over 2 million dollars profit in just a few years with only 2 employees back in Europe, he tried to replicate his success here in the Philippines with over 16 employees but it never worked out. This guy, unlike many others, came to do business in Cebu.

Anyway, there's good businesses to open in Cebu, as it is anywhere in the world. You just need to have the mind and market knowledge...

Edited by Mr.T
  • Like 1
Exactly. Most foreigners i've met who want to start a business have never even run a business in their home country. That's why they fail.

Too true. To me, people are long-time entrepreneurs either because they love the money, the lifestyle, the challenge or all three. And that's not a bad thing at all. I have had a passion for business for over 20 years and run several small businesses. Some I fell flat on my face, and learned. Some provided me with a profit and were very satisfying. My parents owned and ran a Mexican restaurant so, even as a kid I knew that there was way more going on behind the curtain with any business than what the public sees. It's not as simple as cook food and count the money.. not by a long-shot.

So for someone who has been an employee all their life to take their savings and suddenly, overnight, try to replicate some other guys business just because they too.. like bagels, or Thai food, or love the idea of an internet cafe, etc... all I can say is, "Enjoy the first two months." ha! But, sadly, because we can't work a job here, starting a business is the first thing that comes to mind for those either wanting to supplement their social security, put their savings to use or just have something to do. Those reasons alone do not suddenly make a person competent to dive into business.

But.. every month the malls here have a little convention with all these "sure thing" booths that will make the big bucks. And dudes buy up those franchises only to realize they should have been studying behind the curtain a long, long time ago.

• Like 1

I know a foreigner here who runs a succesfull business and makes well over $100k per year in the IT / BPO industry...

Another guy I know is making over $1 Million per year, he owns mango farms all over the country, and another guy I know is a sales agent for some Italian company selling to factories in Cebu, he probably makes around $40k per year.

They all have something in common, they have been entrepreneurs for many years.

Edited by Mr.T

hey let's leave janice out of this ok? biz is booming so let's just call it customer relations

She is going to cut your ass for that one. I hope I get to watch. :D

I thought I'd open a place that has loud music and serves beer from half naked girls, but I think that just maybe somebody in Cebu may have already thought of it first, so I guess I better not do it.

• Like 1

I thought I'd open a place that has loud music and serves beer from half naked girls, but I think that just maybe somebody in Cebu may have already thought of it first, so I guess I better not do it.

Theres always a bikini bar for sales in Mango ave. Amigos bar for example (next to Red Lips) stayed open only a few months after the grand opening, apparently the two foreigners who opened it, a French guy and a Brit ran off. I actually contacted one of them and he wants 5 Million pesos for it, which is a ridicilous price.

smokey

Theres always a bikini bar for sales in Mango ave. Amigos bar for example (next to Red Lips) stayed open only a few months after the grand opening, apparently the two foreigners who opened it, a French guy and a Brit ran off. I actually contacted one of them and he wants 5 Million pesos for it, which is a ridicilous price.

best you stay away from the mango square area ,,, over the years i have seen lots of places REMODELED by foreigners money only to be sold back to the same guy who sold to them in the first place....

• Like 1