Which business to start? Is it morally OK to copy a business from another expat?

everyone steals in some ways

bill gates essentially took most of his technology from the government who had delevoped and researched the computer

even famous musicians stole a lot of music from others check out led zepplins plagiarism

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• broden

• Davaoeno

• Paul

• smokey

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you are asking yourself this type of question you should NOT start a business here because you are already doomed !! doomed i tell you- doomed !!

I think one of the biggest problems with ex-pats starting businesses, in the region, is that the vast majority of them (that I have met) have never been self employed, and have no idea how hard it is.

I try it a bit "mathematical" with a few sentences.   The question isn't about the business concept, its the "business person" behind it.   If one can copy the "business person", he may be success

Posted Images

smokey

:wave:

Thanks for outing me publicly. I guess I need to up my offer. I'll buy it for 8.1 m pesos, but you have to thrown in that pretty little maid of yours.

that maid is davao maid we have a boy i guess i could ask him if your still interested

Edited by smokey

Most people start a business because they have an idea and a burning ambition to try their idea out and make a success of it.

If that is NOT your reason for starting a business, then you may not have the motivation to succeed.

In addition, if you dont have the initial idea, then copying what someone else does or has done, wont work unless you have some unique feature you are going to add to their idea to make your business special. (In which case, it isnt really a copy, but a modification based upon their business.)

• Like 1
musicman666

everyone steals in some ways

bill gates essentially took most of his technology from the government who had delevoped and researched the computer

even famous musicians stole a lot of music from others check out led zepplins plagiarism

Ledzep is basically an extension of the British blues movement that was rexported back to the USA because america at the time considered black music below them but loved British bands.....having said that ledzep did a fine job of taking those old blues riffs and bringing them up to speed....and there was no point at which they hid their roots or influences....plagiarism comes if they tried to conceal the original song writers...but they were celebrating their love of the the old blues classics.

• Admin (Retired)
broden

i'm not an elvis fan but there would be no elvis with out other peoples music

• Like 1

So, let's assume that you are moving to the Philippines. You observed in the past that many businesses run by expats are not succesful and go bankrupt after a short period of time for various reasons. But you know of a few businesses which run profitable, even run by members of this site. Would you just try to copy those businesses or do you think it would be morally unacceptable?

I think it's smart and possibly absolutely necessary to copy the success of businesses here.

But perhaps we do not mean the same thing by copying.

The way a business is run is possibly more important than the product you sell, here in the Philippines contacts and network a very important factor.

So try to copy the mode of operation and how the owner manages the business, employees, competition and the local authorities.

The owner's knowledge, IQ and brain are difficult to copy!

Are you a good sausage maker and run u company good you can make a good business, it does not mean that others can do the same.

Or if you fail it doesn't mean that others are going to fail.

When someone says "it is impossible to do business here, I have lived here for over 10 years and had tried to start 15 different companies, but always there is someone who destroys it / jealousy mm."

Learn from this person to!! Do the opposite of what he said and did, he has proven that he has no clue!

Don't do unto others as you would not expect to be done to yourself. !!!

For Real

Methinks your numbers are vastly understated, do you have a reference to this?

Larry in Dumaguete

Ha, you could be right...my reference is anecdotal and I meant by fail where money owed couldn't be paid or part (or the complete) of the family had to leave & go home.

I guess many expats with little at stake simply close the doors and lead an easier life.

No one should ever ask me to go into a jeepney, internet cafe, repair/service or restaurant business in the Philippines.

I could be persuaded to try a call centre venture or ESL school but i have a question list that goes all the way to Manila that i need all answered in the affirmative

before i open my pockets

To the OP

Porters 5 forces conditions make the market appear to be sexy. Market entry requires living by the sword, and if you want to live by the sword you must be prepared to....

Other words go for it and i will copy your business in a month or so - good luck

Davaoeno

Methinks your numbers are vastly understated, do you have a reference to this?

Larry in Dumaguete

its been a few years since I did my MBA but at that time we were told that the failure rate for new restaurants was 93% in the first 5 years [ North America]

• Like 1

:wave:

that maid is davao maid we have a boy i guess i could ask him if your still interested

Oh, trying to bargain are you? Ok, 8.2m pesos, but you have to throw in the "Davao" maid. :)

• Like 1
Headshot

its been a few years since I did my MBA but at that time we were told that the failure rate for new restaurants was 93% in the first 5 years [ North America]

Yeah, but they also told you that 96% of all statistics are made up (no basis in fact). It's probably more like a 97% failure rate...

:snap:

Davaoeno

Oh, trying to bargain are you? Ok, 8.2m pesos, but you have to throw in the "Davao" maid. :)

Well since I am currently in Canada this would be a great time to try to steal either of the Davao maids !! [ and 1 of them just broke up with her bf ]

post-8045-0-32186500-1346946840_thumb.jpg

post-8045-0-11007800-1346947160_thumb.jpg

Edited by Davaoeno