Which business to start? Is it morally OK to copy a business from another expat?

shadow

Anyone can copy successful a business idea, and most who do will fail at it. There is more to a business than putting up a sign or selling a service or item, it is usually the management that will determine if the business succeeds or fails. If proper homework has been done prior to opening a business, and the business is properly managed, it might succeed. If the answer is no on either of these issues, the business will probably fail no matter how successful the first guy was at it.

A poor business idea with good management will have a better chance at success than a good idea with poor management!

The only way of knowing if copying someone's business will offend them is to talk with them about it. Are you going to be taking his customers away? Are you opening a resto right down the street from his? Are you copying his unique ideas? If so, then he probably has the right to be miffed. If not, he may even help you set your business up, and supply a list of dos and don'ts based on his experience, successes, and mistakes.

As for ethics, it would be impossible to determine without knowing the specifics. A resto in the next town would not be considered unethical, but one right down the street would likely be grounds for someone to get miffed.

Larry in Dumaguete

Edited by shadow
  • Like 4
  • Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• broden

• Davaoeno

• Paul

• smokey

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you are asking yourself this type of question you should NOT start a business here because you are already doomed !! doomed i tell you- doomed !!

I think one of the biggest problems with ex-pats starting businesses, in the region, is that the vast majority of them (that I have met) have never been self employed, and have no idea how hard it is.

I try it a bit "mathematical" with a few sentences.   The question isn't about the business concept, its the "business person" behind it.   If one can copy the "business person", he may be success

Posted Images

Just don't be infringing on someone's intellectual property.

In business, you eat what you kill. :devil:

• Like 1

getting back toothe op its quite common for like businesses to cluster:

think wall street and london city for banks

markets for vegetables

tottenham court road for hifi

etc

smokey

Anyone can copy successful a business idea, and most who do will fail at it. There is more to a business than putting up a sign or selling a service or item, it is usually the management that will determine if the business succeeds or fails. If proper homework has been done prior to opening a business, and the business is properly managed, it might succeed. If the answer is no on either of these issues, the business will probably fail no matter how successful the first guy was at it.

A poor business idea with good management will have a better chance at success than a good idea with poor management!

The only way of knowing if copying someone's business will offend them is to talk with them about it. Are you going to be taking his customers away? Are you opening a resto right down the street from his? Are you copying his unique ideas? If so, then he probably has the right to be miffed. If not, he may even help you set your business up, and supply a list of dos and don'ts based on his experience, successes, and mistakes.

As for ethics, it would be impossible to determine without knowing the specifics. A resto in the next town would not be considered unethical, but one right down the street would likely be grounds for someone to get miffed.

Larry in Dumaguete

i personally always wanted to go into the watch business but what holds me back is trying to tell the time... :yahoo:

Attila copied Alexander :cool:

Alexander copied Augustus Cesar (son of Julius) :Yay:

and so on...

Wasn't Alexander born about 290 years before Augustus Cesar ? I knew Alexander was great but I never realized he could predict Augustus Cesar before his time and emulate him !

Attila copied Alexander :cool:

Alexander copied Augustus Cesar (son of Julius) :Yay:

and so on...

I don't think Alexander copied any of the Caesar's, including Salad - Alexander came before Caesar

udonthani

So, let's assume that you are moving to the Philippines. You observed in the past that many businesses run by expats are not succesful and go bankrupt after a short period of time for various reasons. But you know of a few businesses which run profitable, even run by members of this site. Would you just try to copy those businesses or do you think it would be morally unacceptable?

of course there's nothing immoral about copying somebody else's businesses if it looks like it's doing well. There's nothing wrong with poaching their customers, or even their staff, either. That's life basically. Even at basic entry level economics classes, young children and adolescents are taught that competitors are going to enter any market in good times, and leave it in bad times.

udonthani
For Real

It really depends on the nature of the business. If you have a paid up franchise with me and have access to my specific intellectual property and decide to take the knowledge & compete I would fall on you like a ton of bricks, but in some cases all is Kosher.

The question of morality in copying another expats business is no where near as important as "Is it wise to copy another expats business?"

1: You are not going to boost the friendship

2: Is the market big enough to support 2 (many expats over estimate WYSIWYG potential) companies

3: Is it a really good proposition (6 in every 10 expat businesses in the RP fail in the first 5 years of operation*)

• Like 1

I think that this post confirms that you are really an insensitive, uncaring, opportunistic maggot !! You should offer him at least 15 cents on the dollar !!

Now who else but a lawyer would have come up with that idea............lol. Lawyers and Prostitutes............all smiles.........but the bottom line is always the Benjamin's. But with either one you know you will get screwed............lol

Skywalker

I think one of the biggest problems with ex-pats starting businesses, in the region, is that the vast majority of them (that I have met) have never been self employed, and have no idea how hard it is. They often start a business (like a restaurant/bar/resort) that they have absolutely zero experience running.

And most importantly have no idea how to manage staff. If you have never run a business before, the last place you should try it is in a foreign Country where you have no idea about how things really work!

• Like 6
shadow
(6 in every 10 expat businesses in the RP fail in the first 5 years of operation*)

Methinks your numbers are vastly understated, do you have a reference to this?

Larry in Dumaguete

• Like 3

i had a member here offer me 8 m peso for my house when i was looking for 12 and , what pissed me off is when i said NO he keep trying to tell me what a huge mistake i was making by not letting him take it off my hands.. i said NO NO NO NO NO and he still would send me a pm to see if i changed my mind....

Thanks for outing me publicly. I guess I need to up my offer. I'll buy it for 8.1 m pesos, but you have to thrown in that pretty little maid of yours.