Which business to start? Is it morally OK to copy a business from another expat?

smokey

I'm not sure if smokey is referring to the fact that last week an American here had a stroke and freaked out and sold me his house very cheaply ? If it makes you feel better smokey he actually offered it to an agent to sell 2 days before he contacted me. The agent found him a buyer but even tho the place was a steal they were trying to get it for less ! i at least gave him full asking price [ and no commission payable ]

i had a member here offer me 8 m peso for my house when i was looking for 12 and , what pissed me off is when i said NO he keep trying to tell me what a huge mistake i was making by not letting him take it off my hands.. i said NO NO NO NO NO and he still would send me a pm to see if i changed my mind....

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• broden

• Davaoeno

• Paul

• smokey

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you are asking yourself this type of question you should NOT start a business here because you are already doomed !! doomed i tell you- doomed !!

I think one of the biggest problems with ex-pats starting businesses, in the region, is that the vast majority of them (that I have met) have never been self employed, and have no idea how hard it is.

I try it a bit "mathematical" with a few sentences.   The question isn't about the business concept, its the "business person" behind it.   If one can copy the "business person", he may be success

Posted Images

Davaoeno

i had a member here offer me 8 m peso for my house when i was looking for 12 and , what pissed me off is when i said NO he keep trying to tell me what a huge mistake i was making by not letting him take it off my hands.. i said NO NO NO NO NO and he still would send me a pm to see if i changed my mind....

Uh, just ignore the PM i sent you this am offering you 7.5 M smokey

• Like 3
Stranded Shipscook

So, let's assume that you are moving to the Philippines. You observed in the past that many businesses run by expats are not succesful and go bankrupt after a short period of time for various reasons. But you know of a few businesses which run profitable, even run by members of this site. Would you just try to copy those businesses or do you think it would be morally unacceptable?

I try it a bit "mathematical" with a few sentences.

The question isn't about the business concept, its the "business person" behind it.

If one can copy the "business person", he may be successful.

But then he would have to be a successful "business person" by nature first.

And "Business persons" have their own ideas and concepts.

If one hasn't got own ideas and concepts, he isn't a "business person".

If one isn't a "business person", he can't run a business.

result= foggetaboutit

• Like 5
Davaoeno

"Imitation is the best form of flattery."

can I quote you on that ?

lazydays

Copying goes on all the time, just ask the Japanese, Chinese and Koreans :lol:

If you copy the basic idea you need to improve on it to be successful, always better if you can come up with something unique.

• Like 1
can I quote you on that ?

Please do. It's my very own creation. I didn't steal it from anyone, I swear.

Stranded Shipscook

To the OP,,,,,,,,,,, When in doubt, I always ask myself,,,,,,,,,,,,"What would Attila the hun do ?"

Attila copied Alexander :cool:

Alexander copied Augustus Cesar (son of Julius) :Yay:

and so on...

Davaoeno

Attila copied Alexander :cool:

Alexander copied Augustus Cesar (son of Julius) :Yay:

and so on...

and since they all carried swords openly we know they were all exceedingly polite !

• Like 2
Stranded Shipscook

unless you like to eat in say only mcdonalds .. i don't think there is anything wrong with copying a successful business .. now placing it right next door if it's a smaller business might be a bit much

but then again there is ginos and pat's in philly right across the street from each other and they both seem to be doing well

Wasn't this story in Brooklyn?

Guy opens Pizza Place, gets competition two houses next to the first.

He puts a sign up,"Greatest Pizza in town",

the other one puts a sign "best pizza on this street" .

The "Signwar"goes on for a while,"best pizza in the country","best Pizza in the Universe","bigger","better", "free promos",the etc....

until at third guy opens a Pizza Place right in between them.

Guess what his sign said?

"Entrance"

He got all the customers !

• Like 5
  • Admin (Retired)
broden

Wasn't this story in Brooklyn?

Guy opens Pizza Place, gets competition two houses next to the first.

He puts a sign up,"Greatest Pizza in town",

the other one puts a sign "best pizza on this street" .

The "Signwar"goes on for a while,"best pizza in the country","best Pizza in the Universe","bigger","better", "free promos",the etc....

until at third guy opens a Pizza Place right in between them.

Guess what his sign said?

"Entrance"

He got all the customers !

that'll do the trick..

but remember now even though there is a joint on every corner we still take our pizza serious

• Like 1
lifeisgood

Nothing morally wrong with copying, imo. If all you are going to do is copy then you will probably fail. If you are going to make something better (by better meaning better service, better marketing, etc) then you may have a chance.

Look at this forum for instance. I have noticed others trying to duplicate the success of this forum only to fall flat.

Edited by lifeisgood
  • Like 3
Stranded Shipscook

that'll do the trick..

but remember now even though there is a joint on every corner we still take our pizza serious

NMFgZQ8xi0udlbdJS7Ctfw2.jpg

• Like 2
miles-high

The results of your “risk analysis” of litigation, to life, property, family, friendship, health and wealth should be your guide, not “moral”, “conscience” or "religious" considerations …

Edited by miles-high
  • Like 1
lazydays

When i started my ex Car Accessory business, we did something that the other two competitors in town didn't do, we offered a fitting service. It was logical, we had a large garage at the back of the shop and a private parking area. I had some motor mechanic experience and my business partner was a qualified Auto electrician.

Most of the fitting service revolved around the electrical stuff, which many DIY layman found risky and confusing.

We gave our customers added value. We also opened Sundays, which our competitors didn't.

Edited by lazydays
  • Like 1