Which business to start? Is it morally OK to copy a business from another expat?

So, let's assume that you are moving to the Philippines. You observed in the past that many businesses run by expats are not succesful and go bankrupt after a short period of time for various reasons. But you know of a few businesses which run profitable, even run by members of this site. Would you just try to copy those businesses or do you think it would be morally unacceptable?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• broden

• Davaoeno

• Paul

• smokey

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you are asking yourself this type of question you should NOT start a business here because you are already doomed !! doomed i tell you- doomed !!

I think one of the biggest problems with ex-pats starting businesses, in the region, is that the vast majority of them (that I have met) have never been self employed, and have no idea how hard it is.

I try it a bit "mathematical" with a few sentences.   The question isn't about the business concept, its the "business person" behind it.   If one can copy the "business person", he may be success

Posted Images

I think it would be morally unacceptable to copy someone elses business. If you are going to do it at all, do it better than those you are competing against.

• Like 1

Just because some expat has a pub set up somewhere means you can't set one up? Give your head a shake.

My answer is, of course I would do it. And as iam says, do it better than your competitor(s).

Justin Kredible
I think it would be morally unacceptable to copy someone elses business.

I concur. Such behavior is morally and ethically reprehensible.

I am going to start up an internet forum focusing on one specific area of the Philippine Islands. I am going to call it livinginpagadianforums.com. I will then populate the forum with a wide variety of societal misanthropes, morons and misfits. Although topically specific to lovely retirement community in and around the Zamboagan peninsula, more attention will be placed on cultivating content based on gossip, rude innuendo, abortion, politics, chicken shit farming, stealing kitchen appliances, re-enameling bathtubs, and how much one can really get in the Philippines for two, slightly rotten onions.

Then I will sit back, let the haters hate, and rake in the bucks from my endorsement and sponsorship deals.

• Like 5
  • Admin (Retired)
broden
societal misanthropes, morons and misfits.

can we members be a mixture of the three?

• Like 3
  • Admin (Retired)
broden

unless you like to eat in say only mcdonalds .. i don't think there is anything wrong with copying a successful business .. now placing it right next door if it's a smaller business might be a bit much

but then again there is ginos and pat's in philly right across the street from each other and they both seem to be doing well

• Like 2
CardiacKid

Let your conscience be your guide. Just be sure you are better financed and have a large reserve of cash you can burn up while you undercut the other guy's prices. Just think of the fun you can have watching the poor guy lose it all. When he's completely ruined, offer to buy his equipment, inventory, etc. for 10 cents on the dollar. In other words, become a local overnight.

SkyMan
You observed in the past that many businesses run by expats are not succesful and go bankrupt after a short period of time for various reasons
One of those reasons is that the business is successful until someone else notices it's successful and tries to copy it resulting in both the original and the new one going under.
  • Like 1
Davaoeno

Let your conscience be your guide. Just be sure you are better financed and have a large reserve of cash you can burn up while you undercut the other guy's prices. Just think of the fun you can have watching the poor guy lose it all. When he's completely ruined, offer to buy his equipment, inventory, etc. for 10 cents on the dollar. In other words, become a local overnight.

I think that this post confirms that you are really an insensitive, uncaring, opportunistic maggot !! You should offer him at least 15 cents on the dollar !!

• Like 2
Davaoeno
Would you just try to copy those businesses or do you think it would be morally unacceptable?

If you are asking yourself this type of question you should NOT start a business here because you are already doomed !! doomed i tell you- doomed !!

• Like 7
Mr. Mike

To the OP,,,,,,,,,,, When in doubt, I always ask myself,,,,,,,,,,,,"What would Attila the hun do ?"

Edited by Mr. Mike
  • Like 1
CardiacKid

I think that this post confirms that you are really an insensitive, uncaring, opportunistic maggot !! You should offer him at least 15 cents on the dollar !!

No way. If he balks at 10 cents on the dollar, wait a while and offer him 5 cents. Sleeping in a squatter shack and eating buwad and maggoty rice will soon bring those expectations down. If I was feeling generous, I could offer him a position with 84 hours a week guaranteed with one day off a month. Wages would be extremely generous at 1500 pesos a month. If tears of gratitude appear, I would even throw in a free lunch of a chicken neck and one hanging rice. No use being too hardhearted, wouldn't want to miss out on the Humanitarian of the Year award.
  • Like 1
smokey

shee i though you were talking about buying a house from another expat .... seems every once in a while they hear someone is sick in the family and swoop down looking for the scraps..i have had a few members over the years contact me and offer some low ball price and back it up with thats all your house is worth and your lucky i am willing to buy it ... to them i often say thanks but no thanks... i will not start a business cloned from another member that is just to tacky to me...

Davaoeno

shee i though you were talking about buying a house from another expat .... seems every once in a while they hear someone is sick in the family and swoop down looking for the scraps..i have had a few members over the years contact me and offer some low ball price and back it up with thats all your house is worth and your lucky i am willing to buy it ... to them i often say thanks but no thanks... i will not start a business cloned from another member that is just to tacky to me...

I'm not sure if smokey is referring to the fact that last week an American here had a stroke and freaked out and sold me his house very cheaply ? If it makes you feel better smokey he actually offered it to an agent to sell 2 days before he contacted me. The agent found him a buyer but even tho the place was a steal they were trying to get it for less ! i at least gave him full asking price [ and no commission payable ]

smokey

I'm not sure if smokey is referring to the fact that last week an American here had a stroke and freaked out and sold me his house very cheaply ? If it makes you feel better smokey he actually offered it to an agent to sell 2 days before he contacted me. The agent found him a buyer but even tho the place was a steal they were trying to get it for less ! i at least gave him full asking price [ and no commission payable ]

no dude i was thinking of bike rental we all know asian rock is the bike guy../// i would NOT offer the same service as he does in cebu and use linc to look for renters... now if i was in davao it would be ok or another island but to undercut a member and try to hustle its a no no to me... when i was renting my 3 rd floor i had a few guys PM me and one set it all up only to back out one week before and rent from another member and when i asked him why he changed his mind he said ... I heard there are a lot of drug dealers in that subdivision but did not want to say who told him that...

Edited by smokey