64Gb RAM…

miles-high

Anyone using max (for the gamer/consumer boards…) 64Gb memory?

The supplier tells me if I pay 10% more, they would guarantee a “free return/refund” if the 8Gb X 8 arrangements do not work… It’s about US$50 extra…

Is it so difficult to get 64Gb to work properly? Is it worth getting this “insurance”?

:coffee:

• Like 1

Almost completely unnecessary. Only reason I'd even consider this is if I were running multiple virtual machines on the same rig. Even then, 32GB is enough. By the time you -need- 64GB, DDR3 will be phased out for whatever's next and your RAM will be useless. :) RAM is so cheap though it doesn't really matter either way. You can throw as much as you want into it and not really pay that much more.

My wife and I are fairly heavy gamers and we get by with 8GB.

Especially considering that no game that I know of uses over 2GB of RAM and most games aren't even 64bit yet, I wouldn't be in a hurry.

Edited by Forefall
  • Like 3
  • Admin (Retired)
broden

64 is a lot .. i have 16

but keep in mind what looks like a lot now seems laughable not too far in the future

Mang Kanor

whoah 64GB RAM is so much.. i am perfectly happy with my 8Gb RAM on my alienware and ASUS ROG laptops.

• Like 1
Stranded Shipscook

I have 512mb DDR1 RAM, of which only 92% are working ( according to my latest RAM test)... :Yay:

At this point i may ask - does anyone has old DDR1 Ram which i could buy ? :rose:

I have 512mb DDR1 RAM, of which only 92% are working ( according to my latest RAM test)... :Yay:

At this point i may ask - does anyone has old DDR1 Ram which i could buy ? :rose:

I have a one PC3200 256MB DDR DIMM that you can have for nothing if you want it. I won't deliver though!

miles-high
Almost completely unnecessary.

Hmmm, what about the flight simulator… isn’t it true if RAM can hold more “real-time scenery” data, it would be more realistic?

I don’t really know how this works but the scenes are “mathematically” processed so that the processor power is more important? Or graphics processors more important? Or all of the above?

I don’t know what’s best… Thanks for your advice... :)

Flight Simulator uses GPU memory mostly for rendering. So, I'd say getting a 3GB graphics card would be more important than having 32GB of RAM. You won't notice any difference with that much RAM on FS. In fact, I'm fairly sure every newer version of FS is 32bit and will only utilize 2GB of RAM anyways.

However, if 32GB is only going to cost you a little more, I don't see why you shouldn't go for it. If not for anything else, to say that you have 32GB of RAM. Definitely a great way to pick up chicks. Hehehe

Edited by Forefall
  • Like 2

I guess that's fine for now. There are adapters that split your ports into two ports for most new ATI cards. I have a 7850 and it rocks.

FS's not super demanding as it is right now, at least not until a newer version comes out.

That will hurt your video card pretty good, so I'd upgrade. Even with that, you don't need more than 8GB ram.

miles-high

http://www.amd.com/u...es/v9800.aspx#4

I suppose the mini display ports are better than DVI's... My displays only have HDMI and DVI's... But for precision graphics, I hear DVI's are better than HDMI's but I guess it's groundless... Hmmm, another sets of useless cables to get rid of... ;)

I don't know if I can justify US$3,000 for a graphic card though... :hyper:

Edited by miles-high

on regards to the query of TS- check your motherboard on their website if it can support 64gb ram

as for my rig- 2x4gb ddr3 with 5670gpu and SATA2 SSD - anything is working fine ^:^