Sign in to follow this  
royaldude

is it necessary to speak the local language

tomaw

Aaron, your point is well made and I agree totally. I'll ordering both the LinC Cebuano Course and the Rosetta Stone Tagalog Course way before I retire there.

Kaku

Five to six year olds have an average vocabular of just 2500 to 6000 words yet your average 5 year old has little difficulty communicating with the people around them. Obtatining the necessary words and phrases for common day-to-day functions won't be difficult with a little practice so I wouldn't let it distress me regardless of my language absorption abilities. All you have to do is make an effort and practice at every opportunity. People trying to sell you something are motivated to try and understand you.

Realistically, it's unlikely you'll ever become immersed in a philosophical debate with any Filipino you might encounter socially. It's not just the language. You come from a background where you have little in common. If your girl friend wants to sink her hooks into you. she'll find a way to communicate and she already speaks the local dialects fluently.

Edited by Kaku

Justin Kredible

Maayong gabii.

Kumusta ka?

Gwapa kaayo ka.

Aye, bolera. Salamat.

Gusto ko jerjer. Ikaw?

Salamat kaayo.

Edited by Justin Kredible

Mang Kanor

Gusto ko jerjer. Ikaw?

hahaha makes my day!