Sign in to follow this  
royaldude

is it necessary to speak the local language

royaldude

i dont want to sound culturally insensitive. i currently live in mexico teaching english and learning spanish is a matter of survival. but i suck at learning languages. my thinking is that economically i will probably only be close friends with other expats or upper middle upper class filipinos who through schooling who know english. also the country has many regional languages which makes it difficult to justify learning one when after living in one part of the country for a few years i might make the move to another part. anyone else feel the way i do? i lived in the phil before but it was like 7 yrs ago and then only for 6 mnths so i dont remember having any language issues but i spent alot of time with other expats and in expat restuarants, hotels so the locals where more used to dealing with westerners. any thoughts from your experience?

Kim_
is it necessary to speak the local language

I am currently living in Spain, trying to learn the language so that I can enjoy my stay here better...

My answer to the question is: YES

KeithAngel

Its also a big plus to know whats being said around you ;)

• Like 3

broden

Its also a big plus to know whats being said around you ;)

yeah but don't take it personally ..

:D

Mr.T

It's not necessary to learn the local language, but locals will respect you more for being able to speak their dialect. also it might come in very handy sometimes

• Like 2

Kim_

It's not necessary to learn the local language, but locals will respect you more for being able to speak their dialect. also it might come in very handy sometimes

Sorry, this is such an ignorant and wrong answer. Knowing the local language will make your daily life easier. I have lived in many countries where I am not speaking the local language and the people do (mostly) not speak english well....

Edwin

At a a dinner in Roxas where the women all spoke three or more languages, the only language common to all of them was English.

Bicol-Tagalog-English

Cebuano-Tagalog-English

Ilongo-Cebuano-English

Besides English I would want to have some understanding of either Tagalog if on Luzon or Cebuano if elsewhere.

If you attended mass church in the past it is helpful to attend mass church in the Philippiness to learn the local languages, not to mention the people you will meet. The songs tell the same stories whether in Bicol, Cebuano or Tagalog and they will post the words on a projector screen. Call me a cheater but it helps, especially around Christmas time as most of us know those songs.

• Like 1

udonthani

my Pinglish or Pinoy English, has greatly improved. Grammar, sentence structure, vocabulary, everything. I got the gold star in my class.

• Like 1

royaldude

I am currently living in Spain, trying to learn the language so that I can enjoy my stay here better...

My answer to the question is: YES

spain doesnt have multiple languages within the country and english isnt spoken or taught in school like the phil so i dont see that comparison as valid.

my Pinglish or Pinoy English, has greatly improved. Grammar, sentence structure, vocabulary, everything. I got the gold star in my class.

so are you in luzon and learning taglog and does it really make a big difference in your daiiy life?

royaldude

ive lived in spain, travel extensively through the entire country i never had an issue with the locals not speaking spanish. i have family in barcelona none of them speak catalan even though its in the state of catalonia. that language is mostly limited to the microstate of andora which is less than 100k. have you ever lived in the philippines because if you havent i didnt open the question to you.

udonthani

languages other than Spanish are not just spoken, but are official languages of Spain. It's probably the most multi-lingual country in western Europe apart from Belgium.

USMC-Retired

I have lived here 5 years and can not carry on a conversation in Visyan. However phrases and words I do use and understand It is required no should you learn some Visyan yes. I think you can survive knowing zero visyan Yet you will be charged a white tax as they know you are not here long term

• Like 1

Mailman

Necessary? No.

Useful? Advantageous? Respectful? Polite? Courteous? Opportunity expanding? Yes!

• Like 4

mactanfamily

The answer to your question is of course NO, it is not necessary in the big cities.

There is a reason why the PI ranks in the top of the world in English speaking. Over 75%.

http://en.wikipedia....king_population

You can learn the basic words you need to appear "local" pretty quick. Filipinos are easily impressed with any knowledge of their dialect. You will be able to communicate just fine.

How often per day do you hear...."Oh, you speak Bisaya? Ha Ha, Sabot Ka?"

Edited by RogerDuMond
Comment removed that quoted a hidden post.

Guy60417

I think the key word in your question is 'necessary', and the answer depends on how 'necessary' is defined.

Several people have answered with reasons why knowing the language might be helpful, and I mostly agree with them. Like you, however, I am language-impaired -- I have throughout my life been terrible at learning languages (and in addition, I simply don't want to). That's part of why I choose to live here -- I can get along fine with just English. So I would answer that it is definitely not NECESSARY to learn Visayan or Tagalog. You can function quite well here with little/no knowledge of those languages.

That doesn't contradict what others have said about knowledge of the language being sometimes helpful and/or enhancing your experience.