PHILIPPENES Travel Warning

HeyJoe, you bring up a very good point. There are places in the US where it is worse than being in a third world country, and no, you can't speak or understand their language either. But, they don't want to kidnap you, just take whatever you have and anything else, including your life!

Edited by Bob Ward

I have to admit I feel safer in the Philippines than in most other countries, and its really because of the Mass majority of the Filipino people are just so damn nice.

Here is a couple pictures of a place called the out post, I was told its full of NPA, and Philippine Army chasing them, I really think some of them are in cahoots, to show America why they need more aid! The chase each other in circles.

Most the people in the nearby town said we were crazy to go through this area. I have a local friend who assured me it was safe. His reply to the other townspeople, was they have been told stories since childhood, its a way to keep them as children from wondering to far from the homestead. Kinda our bogyman story. Most have never even been there.

But I still am very cautious and use do diligence, I carry night vision, protection, I also have past military training. So I know when to RUNNNNNNNNNN! With that said you wont catch me traveling to Basilian, or Sulu! That's a whole different story!

One of our local friends decided not to travel with us because of his childhood upbringing, he hasn't left his village and traveled much like the other riders. I told him I will take a picture of the outpost when I get there if its not to hot! so here it is.

IMG_0966.jpg

IMG_0975.jpg

NPA.jpg

Here is a couple pictures of a place called the out post, I was told its full of NPA, and Philippine Army chasing them, I really think some of them are in cahoots, to show America why they need more aid! The chase each other in circles.

You hit the nail on the head. Hell, I am told the Filipno Army commanders are the ones selling the guns and supplies to the NPA. This is so that they have a worthy adversary and get better budgeting from the government. Then they capture the same stuff and sell it to them again!

You know, when I see travel advisories, I want to take them and mail them back to the US, changing a few words, like the areas and the COUNTRY name in question.

I guess my country (USA) is as safe as can be, isn't it? I guess we never have any issues there. This is utterly ridiculous, I have to say. Stop letting the threat and fear of terrorism stop you from doing what you want, living how you wish to live, and going where you wish to go. If you allow that to happen, they have already won.

Incidentally, I don't know what areas most of you who have posted here, have visited. But, I have covered, if not the majority, certainly well over half of Mindanao. I have never suffered even a broken nail! I have traveled by plane, yes. But, I have traveled many more times by boat, then bus or jeepney, and tricycle. I have been in remote areas of the provinces on Mindanao, as well as in larger cities. I have been there and am alive now to tell you about it.

The next time the US Government (or any of its buddies like the UK, Aussie, New Zealand, or Canada) post a travel advisory, try to simply use your head and stop letting western governments dictate what you think!

Think about it, Aussie even got stupid last year during the first week in April and posted a travel advisory about visiting CEBU, for God's sake! What is gonna happen to you in Cebu?

People, think about it and decide if you are going to be a free thinker, or if you are going to remain a slave of your government, even after you escape their clutches, living in the Philippines.

tom_shor
You know, when I see travel advisories, I want to take them and mail them back to the US, changing a few words, like the areas and the COUNTRY name in question.

I guess my country (USA) is as safe as can be, isn't it? I guess we never have any issues there. This is utterly ridiculous, I have to say. Stop letting the threat and fear of terrorism stop you from doing what you want, living how you wish to live, and going where you wish to go. If you allow that to happen, they have already won.

Incidentally, I don't know what areas most of you who have posted here, have visited. But, I have covered, if not the majority, certainly well over half of Mindanao. I have never suffered even a broken nail! I have traveled by plane, yes. But, I have traveled many more times by boat, then bus or jeepney, and tricycle. I have been in remote areas of the provinces on Mindanao, as well as in larger cities. I have been there and am alive now to tell you about it.

The next time the US Government (or any of its buddies like the UK, Aussie, New Zealand, or Canada) post a travel advisory, try to simply use your head and stop letting western governments dictate what you think!

Think about it, Aussie even got stupid last year during the first week in April and posted a travel advisory about visiting CEBU, for God's sake! What is gonna happen to you in Cebu?

People, think about it and decide if you are going to be a free thinker, or if you are going to remain a slave of your government, even after you escape their clutches, living in the Philippines.

Good point Paul. I remember a few years back when a nomber of German tourists were killed and or robbed when driving in Florida. Wonder if a travel advisory was issued for that?

Plenty of places in the US I wouldn't go to even heavily armed.

Jim Sibbick
I am skeptical of warnings about Mindanao. I believe that the threat is real, but also I have a friend who regularly visits Cagayan de Oro and he says he doesn't have any worries about it. Any opinions on this? I am not about to wander around the Sulu Archipelago, of course, but aren't most cities in Mindanao safe? What about Davao and General Santos?

You can never really know for sure when it come to groups like the NPA....I used to be pretty relaxed traveling around Luzon.

I have been all over that island, much of it on motorcycles....During my last period of living there somewhere around 1990 there were a couple of my fellow employees of Ford Aerospace that worked in Tarlac, in at the Crow Vally Bombing range that got blocked off on the hyway by a truck making like it was turning around. When they stopped, they were attacked with automatic rifles and took over 300 rounds in the car. All in the car were shot up at close range to a point their faces were blown off.

I was supposed to be in that car. It just happend that they had to return to secure one of the bldg's that wasn't properly locked. I didn't want to wait, so I bumbed a ride in the company van...I still traveled around the island, but I can say, I always felt a little on the unsafe side after that be it in my truck or on my bike.

I think you have to read between the lines on the reports and understand that the gov't can over generalize in some areas in order to make sure they don't leave anything out.

Jim

So was the business name painted on the side of the car and had the NPA already announced their opposition to what the business was doing?

Regards: Jim

I am skeptical of warnings about Mindanao. I believe that the threat is real, but also I have a friend who regularly visits Cagayan de Oro and he says he doesn't have any worries about it. Any opinions on this? I am not about to wander around the Sulu Archipelago, of course, but aren't most cities in Mindanao safe? What about Davao and General Santos?

You can never really know for sure when it come to groups like the NPA....I used to be pretty relaxed traveling around Luzon.

I have been all over that island, much of it on motorcycles....During my last period of living there somewhere around 1990 there were a couple of my fellow employees of Ford Aerospace that worked in Tarlac, in at the Crow Vally Bombing range that got blocked off on the hyway by a truck making like it was turning around. When they stopped, they were attacked with automatic rifles and took over 300 rounds in the car. All in the car were shot up at close range to a point their faces were blown off.

I was supposed to be in that car. It just happend that they had to return to secure one of the bldg's that wasn't properly locked. I didn't want to wait, so I bumbed a ride in the company van...I still traveled around the island, but I can say, I always felt a little on the unsafe side after that be it in my truck or on my bike.

I think you have to read between the lines on the reports and understand that the gov't can over generalize in some areas in order to make sure they don't leave anything out.

Jim

That often happens in Miami and other major cities that have gangs too! A few months ago an of duty police officer suffered the same fate while parked in Miami.

My wife and I often go to Cagayan de Oro and we walk the streets and side streets and we also travel into the heart of Bukidnon (the middle of Mindanao) where some of my wife's family are and I have never felt that my life was in any danger. To each his own and I feel like when it is my time it really does not matter where I am, but that is just little old crazy me. :rolleyes:

Edited by Mr. Lee

Hey all,

We don't reside in Cebu, but I found the site while browsing and it looked interesting so I thought I would drop by and sit a spell.

I find it simply hilarious that the country (USA) with the highest crime rate, prison population and prisons, would bother issuing a travel warning at all, heck, it would make sense to me that anybody who can survive in the states sure can survive here.

But I surmise that it all comes down to the almighty dollar, if they can get people to stop leaving the USA for vacations or love or business, but rather have you find love in the USA, thus buy an overpriced wedding gown, pay for an over priced wedding stay at some overpriced lodge, or vacation in Yellowstone or Grand Teton, the Catskills or Vegas or set up your business and conduct the same all within the boundaries of the USA, then they can tax you and gain all the benefits of all the above.

Why else do they make these warning so routine? I know this last one was in response to the ZTE affair and now they say they got a suspect=, an Indonesian, who was part of a plot to bomb some embassy's, the US and UK for starters, plus try to assassinate Arroyo, but the only ones they seem to draw into this mess are those who have something to do with the government, that leaves out all the foreigners.

Peace from Cavite

Paul

Bingo, give that man a cigar. You are damned right, Kanoy. The good ol' USA doesn't want any of their tax payers going outside the borders of the country.

I get so tired of reading travel advisories, that ... well, I don't read them anymore.

JohninCebu

By God, I love this site. Well, the good old foreign services arn't going to have much effect on us. As has been said these things are issue to keep us scared but I suspect they do have an effect on the 80% of Americans who do not travel beyong their shores.

Whilst I will probably be chastised for saying this, if I was a pinoy living in the Sulu isles and seeing how corrupt my governemnt was, I'd probably join in but then agin, killing people to make a point is possibly too extreme. But even then again, how many countries have not had a civil war?

Bingo, give that man a cigar. You are damned right, Kanoy. The good ol' USA doesn't want any of their tax payers going outside the borders of the country.

I get so tired of reading travel advisories, that ... well, I don't read them anymore.

Amen brother Ben, I only have myself to blame for it though, lol, when I first came here, not being familure even with the word "basura" I signed up with the embassy online, registered like a dummy, if you will, now had I not done that, I would not be receiving these stupid advisories today.

Makes me laugh at them trying to make the Philippines out to be the boogie man though, I have never felt more welcome in any country than I have here since the night that I stepped off the plane and that includes my own country, I think a lot of that has to do with a Filipinos worst detractor is not a kano or anybody like that, but it is other Filipinos, I hear this from OFW nurses, they dread getting a Filipino boss and the reason, or so they tell me, is because Filipinos don't fear nobody else except other Filipinos in the workplace because none others can match their drive.

Last year was a good year for the country, in that, 7 million new jobs where created, but inflation seems constant and I was wondering if this is a local thing or national, has anybody seen the wages go up for the common worker in your areas? here in Cavite they remained steady about 3-500 peso a day, depending.

This weak dollar sure put the pinch to things though eh? when I got here I was getting like 30,250 peso for $600 now its like 24,435, I would love to have that 6,000 peso back, I live here on lifetime workmens comp. so am on a set income and that falling dollar is doing a job on me, but lol, it is the only bright spot for the USA because their stuff sells cheaper overseas so it can compete, hope the next administration there can right the wrongs, but I am not about to hold my breath.